ederen

Vertical Relative Work - VRW 4-Way Comp Results

The results, scores, and video from this weekend's VRW 4-Way competition (Comp#5) are now posted at http://www.vrw4way.com/comp5.html.

-Eric

So, uh... yeah you guys are pretty good :P

If anyone wants to see good freeflying... watch the video.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Our helmets are matte black Skysystems Factory Divers:

http://www.skysystemsusa.com/news/

I think it's fantastic that this thread is actually growing here on the relative work forum and the same exact post has ZERO replies on the freeflying forum! I've been saying all along that VRW was probably going to end up attracting more competitive RW skydivers than classic "freefliers".

It's no big secret why. B|

-Eric

Glad you dig it. We didn't get any coaching, but most of us have been involved with FS training to some degree over the years. Kyle actually won Gold at Nationals in 4-Way FS Intermediate back in 2000, on Rage with Eliana Rodriguez, Thomas Hughes, and Glen Mendez, so I personally try to learn from Kyle's experience whenever possible.

-Eric

It's no big secret why. B|

well, yeah! you should have heard the collective "oooh" when rook & melissa nelson's 4-way team did a round head-down at nationals '04. with booties on!!

what about freefly booties? - I have a design concept, but I'm not sharing ;) (other than the obvious - to add even more power, the freeflyer would have to be extremely skilled to use it to his benefit - but at this time, I think it would be too 'different' for such a young discipline - kind of like the 'speed' snowboarders at the olympics not being willing to wear tight racing clothes to get additional edge)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You bring up a good point. We have had discussions around various suit changes. So far we have just went with slick dark suits, contrasting gloves and good grippers. (Sound familiar?)

One other thing I have been thinking about is what changes VRW will drive in vertical body positions (ex. mantis vs. boxman). There will no doubt be a great deal of changes in the near future for us formation skydiving rookies. I can't wait to see where we are in 5 years.

Jon Pinyon (Team Mandrin Point)

I have so very serious concepts on this.

But the RW analogy is pertinent. The features on the suit should increase performance or just not be there at all.

For a typ FF suit - you have flapping material. So the BEST FFers are very skilled at compensating for this. I don't think they should have to 'compensate' for anything. Better off wearing slick suits than having any loose material. Don't the best freestylists wear tights? Get rid of the flapping completely. Shedding random vortices keeps us away from 'stillness' which in RW is the first step the advanced performance. If you add material how do we keep it pressurized and smooth? That's the trick.

BTW - Mandrin is looking great. I'm so glad to see the next level evolving. We have some super talent at our DZ and it's a blast watching them work the VRW pool on occasion.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I can't wait for US Nats when ALL the teams are competing. Cali has a few very good teams, and the AZ crew looks solid too. Camera flying is going to be key. Video busts will decide who stands where on the podium IMO.

Not so sure about the booties thing... [:/]

Canuck

Team Mandrin Point

How do you define point (and/or other slots) in VRW 4-way?

Good question. My answer would be that VRW 4-way is not a *new* discipline. I mean, technically it is, but we're just doing the same thing as 4-way FS has been doing for 30 years. 'Point' means the same thing as it does in FS, the only difference is that what 'point' means once you leave the airplane is not as solidly defined in VRW (yet) as it is in FS. Practically speaking, it means that Jon is the front-most person on exit, and once the formation is on the hill, with VRW, he's the closest person to the plane, usually until we execute the inter of the first block.

-Eric
(outside center)

When I was watching some of your video from the last comp it looks like you guys had some room for doing slot switchers.

Block 2 was what piqued my interest and made me go look it up in the dive pool.

Blocks 5 and 6 look like good candidates for either a mirrored situation or double slot switchers, depending on how you want to do your continuity.

Good observations. You are correct. That is part of the progression VRW needs to go through. We currently do mirrors and slot switchers on a number of randoms/blocks. However, so far we have stayed away from doing that on blocks 5 and 6 since doing them incorrectly can cost a lot of time.

To date the time saved doing mirros and or slot switchers on those blocks has not been enough to offset the time lost resetting. That is beginning to change as we get faster in B slots. In the near future mirrors and slot switchers will be used as needed on all blocks and randoms. We are just not that good yet.

Jon