bradcurn

4 way RW out of Islander

I'm looking for some advice from people who have done RW out of this aircraft.

My DZ may have the opportunity to get one of these in the near future and I wanted to check whether they lend themselves to FS or not.

I have already heard that their door is not the greatest for putting out a 4 way with camera.

Anyone out there have experience with these that they can share?

Thanks!

Like a lot of smaller planes some of the exits can be done ok, some can be done using some tricks and a lot of grip switching, some are almost impossible to launch complete.

Things to watch out for are the rear top corner of the door as this can prevent Tail and IC taking grips, and the height of the wing and location of the wheel strut stopping OC getting out enough to present to the relative wind.

A good fun one to try is Mono-Mono, tail climbs out and hangs low, OC climbs out, Point climbs over OCs knees and leans on the engine cowling, IC kneels in the door, all take grips and exit pulling Point down with you.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Nick, you have to update your info.

Even a Meeker exit can be amusing in an Islander. With most exits point is out the plane, hand on the engine cowling (yes you have to reach), IC sits like a RAPS exit, OC needs to think distance from the door (anyone who says you cant hit the engine cowling is wrong, but I would never brief OC like that), tail needs to be down and dirty (as usual). Camera depends on the step but not too bad.

The key issue is, what are you comparing the Islander with? Not only is an Otter way better for 4w, but so is a Caravan. Or lots of things really. But not every DZ has these choices. In my experience an Islander is a two team plane (you CAN do 8w) it's competitors in the UK are Beaver (door is the wrong side for 4-w) and Porter (wrong side door and probably much more expensive).

I regret our DZ sold our Islander. But then it doesnt compete with a Dornier. btw, you want a turbine Islander, the pistons are climb like a smaller Cessna on the climb to height. They work well, but dont expect more than 10,000' or fast turn arounds.

Dru

OC needs to think distance from the door (anyone who says you cant hit the engine cowling is wrong, but I would never brief OC like that)

Can or cant?

I hit the wheel launching a three way once:$
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Thanks everyone for the input.

I am comparing this aircraft to the C207T that we currently fly at my DZ.

Should be able to jump it in a week or two and then we'll know for sure whether we can launch exits from it with any sort of smoothness.

Cheers
Bradley

I think I heard Tana Nash from Stratosfear Coaching say that at some point their team used to do 4-way from an Islander. I don't know how current this contact info is on this site but here goes

http://www.geocities.com/team_stratosfear/contact.html

you should contact them directly but I think the I heard them say 4 way from a Islander is NOT good. Point needs to watch out for the landing gear....

rm

Do you go out the back or the front of your 207?

We go out the back of ours and it dosent have a step or a rail. We are having a very tough time even getting a three way out.

If you have any good ideas let me know.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

We go out the back as well but we have a long rail above the door, which makes exits quite easy.

Without a rail though I can't think how you guys would be successfully launching anything bigger than a two way:S.

Are there any plans to fit a rail to your 207? I reckon it's pretty crucial if you're going to be doing FS out of it.

Good luck!
Bradley