Bartje

New world record 4-way, 45 points?

Has somebody more information about the new world record 4-way from the Hayabusa team?
I did hear that it is 45 points now.

What competition?

For it to be a "real" record I think there must be (TWO?) judges that are IPC.

Fire's was in a competition, but they didn't have the number of judges needed to make it legal.

If it did not need to be in a comp...Hell, FX had an omniskore almost 60 pointer at one time.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Seems to be a new Belgian record, [:/]
Here is thee sit with more info: http://www.skydivehayabusa.com/home.htm
From the Hayabusa site:
R1: J-O-A-H-F (donut-satellite-unipod-bow-open acc); If you do this one on the creepers, you can already feel, that this is a very fast one. It is off course very challenging to beat the official world Record of France Maubeuge. 42 points in 35 sec.
We knew about the unofficial world Record by Deland Fire last shamrock at Deland, they scored an amazing 47, but they didn't have official judges on site. But no worries, everything still had to be jumped.
Immediately after we went to our hotel in Menen; We had to go to bed as soon as possible; because some of the guys were very tired after a long day of hard work.

formation that wasn’t finished.
From here on, we got distracted, and after 3-4 seconds our Pro track bieped, time to break.
While we were under canopy, we felt that we left a great opportunity for a even greater score.
After landing Bruno went to the dubbing room, when he came back he told us that he had counted a 47-48 points in time, but that he was to far away in the exit; so that we could loose some points causing of this.
Well, our faces turned from cloudy to sunny :-)
That it was better than a 42, that we knew, but how much, we still had to wait after the judging.
1h later, the judges announced that we scored a 45!
45 points in 35 seconds. Not bad for a semi-professional team ;-)
We lost one point for the transition going from 2 to point 3. Video busted. Everything was clear enough to see. 45 points.
The second Belgian team NMPV (Belgians military team) scored as well an outstanding 35 points. Even for them this is a new competition record.
But the meet isn’t over yet, and we still have to jump.

A FreeFly Gypsy

It seems that they had the right kind of judges. Skyleague said that they are sending it in.

In anyway they did a great job!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I hope it becomes official (the requirements are met with the right number and type of observers). With teams hitting the upper 40's in competitions, it would better reflect where the top end really is today.

congrats to SPA

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

At the 1998 World Cup in Evora Portugal then Space Center FX (Joey Jones, Doug Park, Dawn English, Christopher Irwin and I cannot remember who was doing video, Finn Malloy maybe) put together a selected (not drawn randomly) jump just to see how high they could score w/ minimal movement. They scored either a 59 or 60. That also prompted Tim Wagner to "raise the Omniskore bar" as previously the scoring system could only go to like 40 or so.

I should say this was shown to omniskore at the World Cup, I think it was actually a jump they did in Titusville. That is how I remember it anyway. Anyone who can remember 1998 more clearly is certainly welcome to comment!!;)

Be smooth through the blocks,
Quiet through the randoms,
Never move unless you have to,
Dont forget to let the kid inside come out and play.

OK - What would you guys consider to be the perfect draw for speed?

I'll take a crack at one.

M-F-H-B-E
M-F-Q-H-B

And M is a nice launch to kick any dive off. J's and D's I think hurt the cause and force some slightly bigger moves. An O might fit in somewhere good, but it has a lot of grips to track (6). A Q might plug in, but I don't see how to gain the 3 grip point without some kind of +45 degree turn and the coiled Q is clumsy (for us) - maybe between F and H and delete the E.

3 grips - F, Q,
4 Grips - M, B, J,
5 Grips - H, E, D, A, C,
6 Grips - O, L, P, K, N, G,

Edit: I see getting this draw and absolutely TANKING it. Kind of like getting the perfect volleyball set and tripping over your drooling tongue.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

E, B, F, H, M is pretty quick.

F, P, H, O, M is also fast. Remember, an F is just a P with leg grips dropped.

E, B, J, D, L has some zip. Back in the day, when opal was a random, E, J, D, Op, L was a nothing more than a flashing drill. See the old airspeed highlight reel from 1995 (I think) in Gap. I think this dive is on there.

If I recall - wasn't the FX something like the later???

Not too long ago, Hoover did an article on the fastest possible draw. I don't recall if it included the fastest possible random in it or not. I think the TSL jumped that draw once.

Steve.
Gt

Nice, I try to drop the high grip points (like E or P) personally because of my team's experience and we're still learning light touches and rhythm - so easier to recognize the points I listed. I'm sure it would be less of an impact for a better group of competitors.

I think any of these would be nice drills for touch points and rhythm. They are going on the 'list'. Thanks

All those letters look like the combination to my luggage!

Hoov did do an article on the fastest possible draw. It was however a complete draw. The fastest possible draw (in theory anyway) would not have an all random jump in it facilitating a world record for most points on a single jump. If you look at past competitions the burners are almost always offset by the s l o w a s m o l a s s a s jumps.

The fastest possible draw theory was greaed toward a complete meet with the highest possible average. High scoring burners are fun, there is nothing like that out of breath, tired, cant wait to see the video feeling. They are greatly overshadowed by completing a meet with your highest possible average.

All those letters look like the combination to my luggage!

I thought your luggage combo was: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 :P

I recall Hoover's article now. I think I still have it.
Are you still traveling to NSL meets to coach? We'd like you back sometime.

Hey Eric,

Totally off 4way burner topics and on to 8way. Any chance of you posting those world record 8way jumps from turkey on skydiving movies. It has been a looong time since we have seen any 8way team post in the thirty's with a 22+avg.

I vaguely remember one dive had snow-inout and dougnut-doughnut maybe with a compass.

I hope this are well for you also.

Cookie

I saw Airspeed post a 32 or 33 on a training draw a few weeks ago, the coolest part was that the draw had two blocks in it if i remember right
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I recall Hoover's article now. I think I still have it.

If you could dig it out and let me know what issue it is, I'd love to order the back issue...

I'll see if we still have the box of back issues. We moved 3 years ago so it might not have survived.

"All those letters look like the combination to my luggage!"

Chris and Eric - whats up? How you guys been?

I hear ya on the numbers/letters. Took me a while to convert over. Now I'm bilingual. That and a dollar might get me a cup of coffee

Steve
GT