morten

Lowest Fallrate

Simple Question:
What body position will result in the lowest fallrate belly-to-earth-wise?
I'm 183 cm and approx. 110 kg exitweight. I understand that dearching will lower my fallrate, but What about the arms and legs - bent at the elbows and knees or more like e big X?
My 'neutral' fallrate is approx 205 km/h - most of my buddies will fall around 190. Eventuelly I'll get some coaching on the subject, but until then, ideas anyone?

Save yourself alot of grief and money.....go spend a little time in the tunnel
( Looks like Paris is your closest at the moment)

I had similar issues to you a while back...I just fell fast no matter what I did.
5mins in the tunnel with a coach and I was seeing results....

Its not just technique....suit choice is as important as body position for us big guys....
As for position...its not all about the dearch.... you need to put input into different parts of your body to effect an overall slow fall.....thighs inparticular can give you alot of drag if positioned ....as can booties if you have them.

I'm not nearly experienced enough to explain in more detail other than to say really....'5' mins in a tunnel with a coach should see you making serious improvement.......

I went from having big fall rate problems to be comfortably filming 4 Way teams (that fell relatively slow) without camera wings and not struggling to stay above them at all.......I did that within what I estimate of 5-15mins tunnel time working on fall rate with a coach

This has been discussed a few times and I've spent my entire skydiving career fighting fall rate, so I definately fill your pain. If you search a bit you'll find a lot of information on the subject but it can basically be broken down into 2 basic thoughts.

1. Dress for success: You have to have the proper jumpsuit for you. If not, then you'll have to fly on the edge of your control range to fall slow enough to fly with other people. At the edge of your control range means you're not really flying with them anymore, you're just doing everything you can to stay in the skydive.

2. Get coaching: Beyond dressing for success you must fly with the proper technique and body positions to fly the most efficently and how to control your fall rate. If you can get to a tunnel, good on ya, if not, then just get yourself a very experience coach. I've had great luck with a local coach that teaches SDU techniques, but as with any training method, its only as good as the instructor.

Eitherway, good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have good luck with my hands a little below head level and nearly touching in front of me, with the elbows out, so my arms are flat to the wind. I put the soles of my feet flat together and spread my knees wide. This puts the sail side of the booties flat the the wind, and since your legs aren't stuck out too far behind you the center of drag is not moved towards your feet relative to the center of mass.

I worked this out in the tunnel, which you should try out, as suggested by several people above.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I am picturing what you have described and it just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable. If you are flying with the soles of your feet together, you have taken away one of the most powerful tools that you have to manuever with, your legs.

I too, struggled early on with fall rate. Tunnel and coaching are extremely important tools. But one that is free is your mind.

I have heard many people complain about the fact that they fall so fast and can't stay up with other jumpers. Half the battle is getting that preconceived idea that you are going to go low out of your head. If you think you are going to go low...chances are you will.

Eye contact with your clone is a major key that helps with fall rate. Loose that eye contact and you loose your reference.
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I am picturing what you have described and it just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable. If you are flying with the soles of your feet together, you have taken away one of the most powerful tools that you have to manuever with, your legs.

The position itself is actually easy for me, and I'm a fat, old guy. This isn't a routine flying position, it is the max slow, as for recovery, or to prevent going low. You still have a fair amount of leg use though, just by rotating your pelvis so one leg is lower and the other is higher. It is much like arm turns from the mantis position. It is easy to control your heading when in this positon.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History