torchbat11

New Merlin Suit

I just got my new merlin competition suit in today and i love it. I'm very impressed with how sturdy the construction. Can't wait to jump it this weekend and get it in arizona's tunnel for thanksgiving. Here are some pics of me flying it around my room and the halls.
blue skies,
rich

In the picture of you "belly on bed" your booties look a bit too long. I'd pay attention to how well they stay inflated while you're actually doing 4-way, instead of laying on a bed concentrating on keeping your toes pointed to the sky keeping them tight.

Those were the exact colors of my first suit, and those booties were too long as well ;)

I think most everybody builds suits with too loose booties. Look around the DZ - if you aren't walking funny..... Luckily, even with mega-booties it's an easy mod if you have the right machine.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Rich,

You'll get a boat load of advice in these forums and most of it is pretty accurate. The advice about tighter booties is one example. I'm a lightweight and for a long time thought tight booties were making me float. This year I improved my body position, tightened my booties (they should still be snugger), and was able to wear less lead (12 lbs as opposed to 17.5). I fly better and have more range vertically and horizontally. After I tightened the booties, I flew on the outside of a 73-way and, boy, did the more-responsive booties help. I stairstepped my way down to my slot, got level at 5 to 6 feet out and dropped the lower legs ever so slightly for that final move to my slot. Do I sound excited? All I'm saying is that Rehmwa is dead on. Learn to fly with snug booties. You'll have to keep your lower legs pointed up 90 degrees from your thighs but you'll have that extra kick when you need it for turning, moving forward, etc.

Okay, enough from the "Ed Lightle" gallery.

Congrats on the new suit! B| B| B|

Jumped it this weekend and it was great I would highly recommend looking at merlin suits if you are in the market. The booties did great with real shoes, a good arch, and a rig on. It was a great time jumping (especially cuz i got to jump with dan/gq jumper, yeah you know you are jealous).
blue skies,
rich

In the picture of you "belly on bed" your booties look a bit too long.

Quoting Airspeed advice on booties: With your jumpsuit on sit in a chair. Maintain a good posture with thighs to back at 90 degrees and lower legs to thighs at 90 degrees. In this position you should have slack in the booties when the feet are at rest. Pointing the toes to the max position should take the slack out of the bootie. If slack remains then bootie too long. Can't get toes fully pointed then too short.

My only complaint about Merlin suits is they use too much spandex on the women's suits. They continue it down the back and along the leg to mid thigh. You crank some hard blocks on these and the leg spandex is ready to give out. They should build the women's and men's the same IMO.