mischo

How long do you train for the season?

Nothing wrong with that if you define a clear cutoff criteria.

Then, in my infinite arrogance and minimal wisdom, here it is.

For anyone doing their first meet, they must first jump and have scored the following rather fast skydive -> M-21-P

NSL -
15+ - AAA
10-14 - AA
5-9 - A
0-4 - Rookie

nats
20+ - Open
15-19 - Advanced
0-14 - Intermediate

If any team wants to compete at a higher level than the matrix, then they can (thus anyone competing open doesn't have to qualify at all). But they cannot compete at a lower level. Anyone sandbagging during the qual jump will be mocked and soaked in old beer by the other competitors as they show unnaturally high scores on subsequent jumps later that meet. They can stay in that class during the entire season if they want and thus enjoy the fruits of rapid learning - but must also suffer the mockery of being called 'baby killers'.

It also eliminates Player Coach discussions as actually total team ability sets the bar. If a PC has a team that only gets 5 on this, then his work IS cut out for him and the other 3 still get to be in a fair competitive situation in the A class. Ditto for 4 pros flying on their backs or bootie flying or whatever they do for fun.

I'm so glad to be of service.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So the season is over and its about time that someone from Divewerkz came out of silence.

I've read the thread and my 2 cents are as follows:

I am a founding member of AZ Divewerkz (point) and I have watched the team mature throughout the last two years. We started with a 3.2 avg or something like that in the 2004 Valentine's meet. During the course of the next 18 months we made less than 300 total team jumps and probably spent 10-15 total hours in the tunnel, this took us from 3.2 to a 12.6 finish at nationals.

I agree with Mish that I feel DW would have peaked at a higher point average if this years nats was pushed back to end of october... Ultimatley, each time needs to invest the time into a season that is necessary to meet their goals. In our case we met our point avg goal during a 6-8 month season, mileage will certainly vary.

The problem with a clear cut criteria for classing of jumpers is that you can't plan for every scenario. In the case of our team we did make a AA choice for 2005 due to where we started the year around 8.7 avg. Having said that, I will tell you that we heavily considered AAA for the 2005 season and we did train the AAA dive pool to keep us on our feet at some training camps.

The responsibility for choosing your class is a decision that should be made by individual teams. I know that all the members of Divewerkz felt strongly about a common set of criteria which we felt were acceptable for a AA year. We considered the facts that we were a one weekend a month team, we had no player coach, and would be able to put up a relativley modest # of jumps during training.

It's an un-spoken code of honor in my mind and as a community it is up to the individual jumpers to keep eachother honest and hold eachother accountable. A gold medal in one hand and a banana in the other is an embarrassing situation to find yourself in with a national audience.

-Blane

Great two seasons you guys - lots of fun to watch that progression.

We baselined many practice jumps against the scores of the teams in the top AA places (and the NSL vids) including DW -the differences are pretty subtle to get those next 2 or 3 points averages. Good to see teams score there that don't necessarily look any cleaner than we did (not a dig, side by side, these teams looked very similar in pace, etc). Sets the bar.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants