AMax

Mirrors vs double slot switches.

As a tail flyer, my inside centre and I thoroughly agree with our coaches continuity plan for us of doing mirrors and front piece getting the switches. Come time to form your next team - Get yourself in the back piece and switchers are a thing of the past!
;););):)
Seriously though - Seems to work for us - although I can see the logic in removing mirrors - may not be for us just yet though!

Faced with a mirror or S/S out the door, we launch the B which makes the rest of the first page (and the second time you see the 1st block) A slots. Seems to work for us...
www.southparc.co.uk

We trained mirrors and slot switchers, focussing on creating a dive flow where at least two people could really drive the pace, sometimes this meant mirrors (which we trained hard in the tunnel, so they felt good this year), and sometimes it meant taking B-slots for the tail piece (on 19s, 10s, and 22's (centers doing the piece work are our A 22s). Having at least two people pushing the pace on every jump help us squeeze some extra points on most jumps that weren't "strait up." Taking the time to consider all the options can be a pain, but it helped stretch our options and we headed to nats with tons of choices and feeling ready for ANY draw.

Ben Liston
Mass Defiance
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

We trained mirrors and slot switchers, focussing on creating a dive flow where at least two people could really drive the pace, sometimes this meant mirrors (which we trained hard in the tunnel, so they felt good this year), and sometimes it meant taking B-slots for the tail piece (on 19s, 10s, and 22's (centers doing the piece work are our A 22s). Having at least two people pushing the pace on every jump help us squeeze some extra points on most jumps that weren't "strait up." Taking the time to consider all the options can be a pain, but it helped stretch our options and we headed to nats with tons of choices and feeling ready for ANY draw.

Ben Liston
Mass Defiance

Your impressive scores shown that this strategy works ;) Congrats with the gold medal ;)

Edit to add:
Obviously the number of training jumps together and number of planed training jumps for a season make a big difference. The common sense tells to stick with a simpler engineering when the team is new (especially when make a transition from AA class) and when the team does not plan to make a lot of jumps. You guys kept the same lineup for two years (and shown some impressive performance in 2004), so I guess you could afford trying many different options.

Just to put our training choices into perspective - we did about 250 jumps together last season and 300 this season. (and about 10 hours of tunnel each year)

Every member of our team found random mirror to be not that bad after just 1 hour of tunnel doing everything in mirror. Many of the blocks also seemed to be pretty easy mentally to "do the other way." 3, 4, 11, 12, and 20 took a bit of getting used to, though. I think each team should at least consider the mixed option, even though the numbers can be daunting if you consider each mirror to be a totally new formation. I personally am very away of where Brian, our point, and Jim, our tail, are all the time - so that helps me know which way to move when I'm saying the next number or letter in my head. Maybe why I don't mind mirrors so much.

Because we all think differently there are no wrong opinions in this discussion.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I personally am very away of where Brian, our point, and Jim, our tail, are all the time - so that helps me know which way to move when I'm saying the next number or letter in my head. Maybe why I don't mind mirrors so much.

The trick to mirrors is to liek you said know where the other guy is. Turn toward your piece partner.

I personally don't like them because my brain is full. Ok small.;)
Dom

I read this entire thread looking for English translations...shouldn't this be in the Greek Forum?

Boy do I have a lot to learn.....[:/]

Look, it is really simple.

Say you draw a 1 5 16 and you want to continue using a standard Airspeed continuity, but you are considering the double SS on mirrors. Normally, a standard/mirror/mem draw is a bitch, but you did draw sno-off as your standard. Now normally 1 is a clean block on plan, but if you spin the pieces the other way, taking advantage of the quicker build on cheats, then you can double mirror going into the memory by using the alternate 1 and jump into the 5 (or switch piece partners and spin the normal way) - thus unravelling the original single mirror with two mirrors. Now you have a single mem draw that you can eat with a single slot switcher - classic mem, or do the swing move going back to the snowflake - or even spin it the corrent way but with trading piece partners for the 1 - not normally a great idea, but 1 is a fast block that can handle some discontinuity to training as it's only a single vert and the centers are relatively passive in the center bit.

I hope that clears things up.

;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Damn that was funny:P!

I felt the same way about learning all the "talk" when John Hoover ask me a bunch of RW questions last year at a camp he ran.

Eventually I figured out.

Just have fun and enjoy it will come to you much faster, then you can apply the presure you want to get to the gold.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Look, it is really simple.

Say you draw a 1 5 16 and you want to continue using a standard Airspeed continuity, but you are considering the double SS on mirrors. Normally, a standard/mirror/mem draw is a bitch, but you did draw sno-off as your standard. Now normally 1 is a clean block on plan, but if you spin the pieces the other way, taking advantage of the quicker build on cheats, then you can double mirror going into the memory by using the alternate 1 and jump into the 5 (or switch piece partners and spin the normal way) - thus unravelling the original single mirror with two mirrors. Now you have a single mem draw that you can eat with a single slot switcher - classic mem, or do the swing move going back to the snowflake - or even spin it the corrent way but with trading piece partners for the 1 - not normally a great idea, but 1 is a fast block that can handle some discontinuity to training as it's only a single vert and the centers are relatively passive in the center bit.

I hope that clears things up.

[In a Ralph Wiggum voice] I make the formations where everyone holds hands in a circle and smiles:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

OK - Tunnel camp - We tried slot switcher for (16) and double slot switchers for (5,17) for practice and hit a bunch of B slots that way.

No problems at all doing B slots in our dives, especially for the blocks (B 6's were a blast).

I did see some issues when the teammates were tired and we had plenty of randoms mixed in with a SS or DSS block in the tunnel.

Is this normal? (B slots on blocks not being a real issue, but B slots on randoms getting into people's heads and messing with them).

:Don the other hand, it was hilarious to see some of the faces when someone would freeze up.....:D I do hope they want to vote for AAA this year, it was so much fun.

My teammates are the greatest. We are going to have so much fun this year.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The trick to not drawing attention to yourself when you brain lock in your B slot is to kick someone else out of their slot so it looks like they are lost, this draws the attention away from you, I did it to Thomas Hughes a few weeks ago and it workd gaet!!:P
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

kick someone else out of their slot so it looks like they are lost, this draws the attention away from you,

Got it locked in, sometimes I just kick people out of their slots because I stink - does that count?

At least the pro (Talbert) is analyzing jokes:S - what's backwards here? But in tribute -

Ralphie - "Daddy, when can I stop wearing rubber pajamas?"
Clancy - "You can stop wearing them when you learn, Ralphie, when you learn"