AlexJ

4-Way VRW integration?

Having a thought here. How soon before the top guys start playing with VRW stuff in 4-Way, if they already haven't? I dont mean 4-Way VRW but conventional 4-Way with the introduction of a few specialized moves in the freefly type genre. Naturally the level differences will make it inefficient a lot of the time, but I can see situations such as in block 7 where it would be faster to transition to bootie flying as you pick up grips, turn on the vertical axis and transition flat again as you complete the block and move to the next formation. A 360 on your knees or in a stand theoretically should be much faster than on your belly. Only for the very trained tunnel teams of course. Rusty Lewis and Thomas Hughes come to mind here to test this. Most of the top level competitors could pull this off I'm sure. Transition time will cost but it can be incorporated into the pickup of grips and the turn to shave off a millisecond or two. It's getting to a point where fractions of a seconds can mean the difference between first and second so the top teams are going to have to do somthing in future to get the edge. Not to mention the future tunnel kids that are going to take over the world. Interesting future for 4-Way I think. Just take a look at Black Majik :)
Alex

Genesis old block 12 was almost pure freefly :P.
Would love to see it on video of course, but for practical purposes transitions on say 7 will eat up all the advantages of the quick rotations - not to mention that I doubt 360s on booties will be faster than on good old belly .

Old block 12 was Zipper / Star. It was a AAA block. It was removed for the 2005 year. The inter was a 360 for one piece and a 540 for the other piece to put it back to a star. I believe the front piece did the 540 and the rear piece did the 360.

The block was removed from the pool because a lot of the really good 4-way teams came up with realy quick and innovative ways to go through the inter. The picture shows one of those methods. The judges did not like some of those transitions because of centerpoint violations. Quite often the innovative ways to perform the inter resulted in busts by some of the top teams in the top competitions. The French as well as Majik lost points on that block at the last world meet in Croatia. There was so much debate between what is allowed and what is not and some of the teams flew the inter so close to the edge of what is allowed that in the end the IPC decided to remove the block from the 4-way divepool.

--
Mark N

I've seen the pics of Genesis doin the block like that but does anyone have any video of it? Genesis was before my time:P so I have never gotten to see any of their videos.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower