Bergen

Regarding side bodies

I can't figure out how to ask this question, but I am a little confused-please bare with me.

The IPC dive pool shows sidebodies being built with the point and OC facing north and the tail and IC facing west. (I know these heading references relate to the page, not the compass.) Could you build the formation with the point facing south and the OC facing north? I know the rules say you can build mirror images, but I would imagine that refers to the whole piece, not just one individual.

Thanks

Pieces in a block picture can be in any orientation relative to the other piece. What's important is the handedness (the grips pick up the same side for each piece - typically the left side of the person) of each piece, not the relative orientation. I also recommend you keep the piece partners together for continuity rather than what you are picturing. Just a recommendation...

You see stamped what I call a 'molar' set up for buds (where the IC and the point (typ) will face out in a cat setup with the tail and OC, respectively, taking the grips). I like this option for launching and some draws, but the other is much preferred.

The more common setup is what you'd call a zig-zag setup. Both are used. The zig-zag setup (where the IC and OC are facing each other, normally a bit offset, and the outsides pick up the grips) is easier for eye contact.

I'll post a pic in a sec. (Guy in blue is point and guy in green is OC. Maroon and Green turn to the right, white and blue to the left - everybody stays tight and tries to cog/gear their bodies in the turns) this pic the two pieces have too much separation, but good lineup.

You can see that it could be built with the guy in blue turned 90 to the right (with a cat setup with maroon) and the guy in green taking grips. Either is fine or anything along those lines)

What you don't want is something that sets up like a satellite (one sidebody on the left grips and the other sidebody on the right grips) {{{If I'm wrong on this point, can some judge tell me so?}}}

Edit: Do a search on Matrix FS or Mario Santos (http://www.mariosantos.com/uk_us/continuity.htm) - he has very good pics and vids for your continuity plan (which person goes in which slot for each formation). Or I can send you something simpler if you want. Great info there.

Edit: www.skyleague.com has a section called NSL TV. if you page around in there, you can find media files of the top teams doing most any block and random. Because more wear matching suits, it's hard to see which slot has which role sometimes. If you can get the Golden Knights training DVDs that's best or Airspeed mindmaps or go to FastTrax and they have a thing on their website too http://www.teamfastrax.org/divepool.aspx.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The sidebody MUST have 2 sets of parallel sidebodies. The OC and tail are facing the same direction and the IC and point face the same direction.

What you are looking at is "cirality" (SP). If you were to make the figures out of paper and put the grips on as the image describes then any way you can arrange the formation is OK (With a few exceptions in the blocks)
Chris

Oh boy, new word. Thanks. It's exactly what I was lamely referring to as handedness. Thus, any thing that can be rotated in plane to a satellite would be a bust for block 7.

2 entries found for chirality.
chi·ral ( P ) Pronunciation Key (krl)
adj.
Of or relating to the structural characteristic of a molecule that makes it impossible to superimpose it on its mirror image.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[chir(o)- + -al1.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chi·rali·ty (k-rl-t) n.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Molar Setup attached - also allowed. The grips aren't on, we didn't wait to pose, but you get the idea.