Bengel

forward movement

Hi!
First of all, please excuse my bad english.
I have a question about RW, especially about creating forward movement to dock s.o. I heard of two different techniques:
1. Leave your arms where they are and use only your legs to get forward movement
2. Use your arms, your legs, both, just as you like

I think for myself, that I have a better feeling when I steer with my arms and not only with my legs. Do I have to relearn it to use technique No. 1?
Thanks for your answers...
I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous!

Hi!
First of all, please excuse my bad english.
I have a question about RW, especially about creating forward movement to dock s.o. I heard of two different techniques:
1. Leave your arms where they are and use only your legs to get forward movement
2. Use your arms, your legs, both, just as you like

I think for myself, that I have a better feeling when I steer with my arms and not only with my legs. Do I have to relearn it to use technique No. 1?
Thanks for your answers...

Legs are far better....but it depends on how you are using your arms to drive forward. If you are pulling them back, what happens when you dock? you reach forward, which will then change a few things. You rally want to keep your arms in front of you when docking. This is where mantis comes in, you fly with your legs primarily, and arms in front. There is a way in that position to use your arms effectively with out moving them back, but I think that is for a whole other lesson.

I have spent a few hours in the tunnel re-learning to fly more effectively, and it has been an amazing learning experince ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

The other way that is most efective in RW is to use your torso, if you think about what happens when you stick your legs out, it tilts your body forward. You can do the same thing without sticking your legs out, learn to pitch your body forward, you can actually get a very quick burst of speed like this while keeping your body position very tight.

I learned this from the Airspeed crew and its made a big difference in my flying, I also find it easier to stop when you do it in this manner.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

You will probably get all kind of advice here but please realize that you should really master the basic moves before trying the more advanced staff. A lot depends on your neutral body position (are you trying to fly in mantis or more ‘traditional’ box man with your arms wide?). In general, extending your legs, brining your arms in or both would be a good start. Please also realize that every move includes three stages – start coast and stop. You should really think about how you are going to stop the move soon after you start it, otherwise you will be slamming into formation. Bunking the torso, pressing the arms down from neutral mantis (this way you can go forward even when your legs are in neutral position) and other tricks are more advanced. You will be ready for them when you master the basics.

In general, getting some tunnel time would be the best way to learn. If you cannot go to tunnel, start with 2-way drills with someone who can fall straight down (and therefore can be used as a solid reference for your exercise), preferably a person experienced in RW. SDU (Skydive University) has a good video - Basic Body Fight Theory. It is not the most recent top notch advanced training tool, but it explains the basic principles of flight very well.

P.S. Please also understand that in this sport you never reach a point when you already know everything and do not need any coaching. I myself a newbie who need to work a LOT on very basic staff.

pressing the arms down from neutral mantis.

Added this to the leg and body stuff in the tunnel last year - Ron showed us - straight arms palms down 45 degrees from the shoulders. I was laughing when I tried it the first time - it's quite a turbo boost. Great fun. The other coach saw and just asked "so, how do expect to take grips now that you got there so fast?"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've also found it easier to stop quicker when moving forward like this. If the grips are a little out of reach I can shoot in on them and stop on a dime before I take em when I'm doing it like this. I tried it in the air(instead of the tunnel) for te first time the other day and it worked great;).
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Added this to the leg and body stuff in the tunnel last year - Ron showed us - straight arms palms down 45 degrees from the shoulders. I was laughing when I tried it the first time - it's quite a turbo boost. Great fun. The other coach saw and just asked "so, how do expect to take grips now that you got there so fast?"

I have some other little gimicks to show ya...One leg stops so your other leg stays in place for grips.

And the favorite snap turns.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have some other little gimicks to show ya...One leg stops so your other leg stays in place for grips

The guy is like a drug pusher, he doles out a little bit at a time to keep you coming back for more.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Bengel,

The advice offered so far in this post is good information but probably over your head or anybody else's who hasn't spent time in the tunnel or been on a team. Not everybody flies mantis. I have a couple friends who were on Dan BC's 300-way record and they just flew like they always had, in control and with safety in mind.

By all means see a qualified coach and learn on the small formations. Once you can do that, think about attending a big-way camp. Also take a look at the attached article I wrote for Parachutist a couple years ago on big-way flying. It's pretty basic but it will give you a good idea of what it's like to get to the formation safely and smoothly.

Blues to All!

Ed Lightle B|B|