IMGR2

4-way Comp suit suggestions please.

Thinking about starting a Gravityrats 4-way team although I am not very familier with the competition suits on the market.
I'm not asking for comments on how cool some manufacturers are or how quick they can deliver a suit.
I want to know from some of the seasoned 4-way competitors about what suits seem to work best and what modifications and such are really used in competition.
Example, should all 4 people wear the same model suit and adjust with weights and so on.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We have suits coming this week (fingers crossed). Here's some suggestions I received from a major suitmaker for hard core 4-way (this guys knows his stuff) - bottom up

1 - Rubber soles instead of leather (lasts a ton longer)
2 - cordura booties - NO bootie sippers (it's all about sturdiness - they see a lot of pressure, zippers are counterproductive to that goal and really bad if they go up high) - Knife edge designs and stiffeners are pretty nice and offered by some.
3 - Cordura knees - double material knees (sturdiness)
4 - Inside grippers (of course)
5 - Cordura butt
6 - Cordura grippers (some like the partial sticky materials, I don't see a big diff)
7 - Big gripper fillers 1.5 inch, maybe shaped. 2 inch grippers get a little too big (once you've grabbed a pathetic worn out gripper you'll understand how that sucks)
8 - All black (white gloves) for judging, make it easy on the judges (we went with two color grippers and made the front half colors and the back half black - that way on level we could see the accent, but not the judges.)

I like lots of pockets personally, even though I don't use them much.

For all the major manufacturers, this combination of options are pretty much the same price. Michigan is doing something along these lines for us called the Tetris (option package is standard like the above so easy to order). Preferences in manufacturer is different depending on who you talk too and there are enough threads on this so I won't wax poetic about how decent our recent search went.

The booties need to be nice and tight. Most suits come in with really loose booties - seems to be a systemic problem in the suit industry (mail order anyway). What's the point in having booties if they aren't effective?

I don't necessarily thing matching suits or even same suits are important as good weight belts and getting fall rates matched that way.

good luck - I really enjoy talking to the various suit makers, they are, in general, a super nice class of people in this sport.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Generally agree with Rhemwa but here's my 2p:
1. You pretty much live in that suit when training. No bootie zippers may be sturdier but not very practical. Get the biggest leg zips you can. If you need a super sturdy suit, then invest in (two suits and have) a competition only suit with no bootie zippers.
2. White gloves, black suit. It's pretty well established now. There are occasionally conditions where white suit with black gloves is better - but it's rare.
3. Chunky grips - they just kinda feel good.
4. Some suits have a better rep in the tunnel than others - this meant we ultimately chose Bev over Tony.
5. I also like pockets.
6. Dont use light stretch material in the back - your rig will wear it down.
7. Go for the latest mega bootie that your brand offers.
8. Liners that reduce sweating are good.
9. Dont bother trying to adjust fall rate with material selection unless you are really heavey or light. Allow lead to do the job.
10 Get your girlfriend to double check your measurements before you send them off. Rather than shoe size we just draw an outline of a shoe to get the shoe size right.

Our Bev suits have managed 2 seasons and more than 10 tunnel hours - that not serious compared to some teams but the Bev suits have required hardly any maintenance. We like them.

Dru

My two cents....

What Rhem wrote.

Some designs offer zippered booties or even forearms. Ah, I see zippers as failure points that are not needed.

As for fall rate, the suits do not have to be the same brand....Right now my team has 3 Michigans and 1 Tony. We had 2 Michigans, and two Tony's, but one guy got smart;)

I Like Mishigan suits. I have been a "Test Subject" for a few design changes like the new arm grips.

I payed for my last suit and it was a Michigan.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have a Tony suit in the mail and can give you a little feedback when i pick it up in eloy in a few days, but for now I can tell you don't go anywhere near teh bodysport RW suit. They look great but that's about it.

I just put mine through two hours in the tunnel and it looks like its about to explode.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

2 of the (5 RW, 1 Cam) we ordered just showed up. Kim says they look very tough/sturdy/beefy.

Of course the 2 that showed are for the 2 jumpers with the newest "old" suits:S. Hopefully 3 more tomorrow or later today... this is an all random practice weekend so perfect to redial in weights and fallrates again.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Lots of thanks to all of you. This helps me with the decision.

What is some input on orange jumpsuits and black gloves?

Gravityrats have always been orange, black and white. Keeping in memory of Brad Slager, my long lost brother of freefly. RIP

What is some input on orange jumpsuits and black gloves?

You can DO anything. Black with white loves is for the judges to make them happy.

The French for years had red suits with red gloves.

I would go black suits with orange grip fronts and white gloves, but thats just me.

Edit, you can also have Orange fronts....The video never sees the front, so as long as the back is black you are good.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron, wouldn't the orange "bleed" in the videos?

Especially neon orange - nasty

that's why you put it on the front (front of grips, chest, whatever)

Ron, wouldn't the orange "bleed" in the videos?

No, Red "Bleeds". Orange "Juices";)

As Bill said, thats why you put it on front.

Besides unless you are really moving, or have a really bad camera it does not matter much. Its more fashion than function.

If Airspeed started wearing beanies with propellers all the Jr. teams would.

I wear black since I have NO fashion sense and its sliming.

How cool. I would happy to help, if you are looking for any. Let me know. Not to mention that you know where to find me.
I personally like all my Bev Suits I have had. They have held up well over the years. I think some of the extras you can add to the suit are more of personal preference. Like, I will always have a suit with fore arm zippers. In the heat, it's just a little bit cooler. However, you gotta have inside grippers to do 4way.
Again, let me know if you have any questions or if you need any help.

If Airspeed started wearing beanies with propellers all the Jr. teams would.

Would the propellers help you get back up if you went low?
;):D:D

(sorry for the stupid post, but I'm bored out of my mind)

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

(sorry for the stupid post, but I'm bored out of my mind)

that's my day too. Actually, I like how black is "sliming"

I'm off to buy a beanie.....

Actually, I like how black is "sliming"

Yes, I did wonder why Ron was being so hard on himself.... He isnt all that bad ;)

I'm off to buy a beanie.....

Will your beanie have a different colour on the front of the propellors than the back, ;)?

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

Quote from above: 1. You pretty much live in that suit when training. No bootie zippers may be sturdier but not very practical. Get the biggest leg zips you can. If you need a super sturdy suit, then invest in (two suits and have) a competition only suit with no bootie zippers. / end quote.

No, as far as possible train in the same type of jumpsuit that you will be wearing for competition.

dgskydive: Tony suit Pit Special with Mega Airspeed booties!!!!
I have one of thoose, I dont think the vented Mega Airspeed Bootie is that good.
My next suit will be a Bev competition suit.

...can't believe a suit thread has got this far without someone saying 'shoe goo'! Get it on there.... although you don't need one tube per foot like a certain guy I know applied ;)

Personally - found my Tony Pit Special to be great, although if you're training lots -especially tunnel - choose the hard waring options discussed above.
Tunnel time is hardcore and will eat thru a suit.
I modified my Airspeed style booties with adjustable bootie shock cord and those plastic style cord stays you get on jackets etc. Helps keep 'em tight in freefall, yet easy on/off when you need it.
www.southparc.co.uk

The Tony Pit Special is a great all around suit (with big grippers and the Mega Airspeed Booties (non-vented).

The newer ones have a zipper that so far seems to be pretty tunnel proof, the older ones you either had to replace the zipper or tape it up.

That being said my tunnel Pit Special currently has about 300 jumps and 90 hours of tunnel and is still going strong. Only things replaced were the leather of the booties to keep them from slipping off as easily.

All around an excellent suit.

Bill

2 of the (5 RW, 1 Cam) we ordered just showed up. Kim says they look very tough/sturdy/beefy.

Of course the 2 that showed are for the 2 jumpers with the newest "old" suits:S. Hopefully 3 more tomorrow or later today... this is an all random practice weekend so perfect to redial in weights and fallrates again.

That's 5, and just in time for the weekend.

That's 5, and just in time for the weekend.

did you get the blade booties?

Let me know what you think about the suits.

Plus if they don't fit right they do ya no good. That is the case with any set of booties.

What do you call booties that don't fit well?