Westie

Paddle turns?

Thats when you stick your paddle in the water on the side of the kayak you want to turn...then slide it in and out while applying pressure. It turns the boat faster than using your hands...:)
Sorry...:( thats all I got.

joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I don't know. Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like something RW jumpers should use

Or he is just not explaining it well enough....Do you use your knees to turn? If so, what are you doing with them?

You are using your booties as "paddles"

the old "hand track" they taught jumpers in the old days - useless

I used a hand track today...I would not say useless.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I got the impression its when instead of dipping and elbow, you use the forarm and the hand combined with a knee turn to create a inplace turn? It seems Im not the only one who is a little sceptical about this?!

13's unlucky for some, but not for old Fred!

What makes you skeptical about the turn you decribed?

I use the forearm and leg technique for my turns. It is fast, easy to control, stops on a dime and has produced my best center turns. I'm a pretty big guy, so i fly very flat, almost in a de-arch position. Dropping the shoulder always me sink out of formations. So i learned the forearm technique and I don't sink during a turn anymore. I teach the technique to everyone that I see sinking out of formations when duringa turn.

Never heard it referred to as a paddle turn.

I got the impression its when instead of dipping and elbow, you use the forarm and the hand combined with a knee turn to create a inplace turn? It seems Im not the only one who is a little sceptical about this?!

Ignore the legs for a second.

Lets say you are flying the mantis. Your arms will be like this ( /\ ) OK they will actually be at 45 degrees relative to the ground, but you get the idea. If you are turning left you can leave your left arm where it is and move the right lifting the elbow up while moving the hand down so that the center of rotation on your arm is in the middle of your forearm. You then get this ( // ).

If both your left arm and right arm are both at 45 degrees like that, it is the most input you can put in...(well there is chest as well but we are just talking arms.)

Anything less than 45 degrees and you are not spilling the most amount of air...Anything more than 45 degrees and you are spilling too much air.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334