ThomasHughes

Back Flying

There is a new project coming out of Skydive Deland, Black Magick. Team Members are; Joey Jones (former Deland Majik), Thomas Hughes (British National Team, Arizona Blade), Juliana Se (Former Brazilian National Team-freefly, Participant of FS World record 300 & 357 way), and Joao Tambor (Former Brazilian National Champion-freefly and the driving force behind the development of Skydive University's back fly DVD)

The skills acquired through our training and coaching at SkyVenture have been paramount in the creation of this team. People have been flying on their backs for years, and finally after seven years of training has a back flying formation skydiving team emerged.

We have 31 jumps and about 3 hours of wind tunnel time and are completing 3 points (randoms only) in time. We are using regular competition Bootie suits and may decide to add a gripper on the bottom of the calf for easier cat grips. Sunpath has provided us with tunnel rigs (no canopies). As Far as freefall is concerned, besides paying more attention to how my pilot chute is packed, I am not modifying my rig at all. We have another 100+ jumps and 10 hours of tunnel planned. And have no idea of what is possible. At this point the thought of attempting block 22 is barely imaginable. Irrespective of how we are doing we will be competing at the June 18th FSL and the USPA Nationals.

Check NSL News for upcoming video and we will do our best to answer any dropzone.com questions.

I think its great entertainment and a cool experiment. Will follow it closely.
Best of luck to you, and have fun. (more or less guaranteed) ;)

How about a teaser vid?? You know, just to give a little taste ;)

As a side there have to be some people out here that remember the upside down meets at Star Idaho in the late 70's and early 80's... I was not there but know many that were......

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thanks for the word Thomas. I think a lot of us knew Joey and Joao are on it. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

WE have been playing with hybryd 4 way in the tunnel here at Perris. 6's, 17's and last week we managed a few 21's that didn't suck to bad.

I can't wait to see how you guys over come a lot of the possible grip issues and the verticals. Good luck and be safe.
Dom

Bet it's intermediate. If they are scoring 3's, and "can't even imagine" trying block 22 at this time, then it's going to be a fun learning curve. Why mess with the memories and mirrors at this stage?

In any case, it would be fun to see some high level flying off belly but still in that format. Black Majik looks like it's all about good vibes and real talent. Can't wait to leech off of the happy that team will bring.

So, who's building the bootie flying team? That is something I could see working a decent intermediate point average (somewhere between 6 and 10) in one season. (taking cats might need a revised gripping region definition)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ok to answer a few questions:

We are competing in Intermediate and will be a guest team due to 2 of the members competing at Gap in 2003 for another country.

We would like to have the video on the bottom by the time we get to Nationals but right now it is hard for the video as we move around quite a lot. So right now they are on top.

We started with just one exit, a mix between a 4 way train and a diamond, but are now evolving to launching pretty much all the exits.

We are using the booties the same way that we use them on our belly's cupping and deflecting air. we dont have any extra straps to keep them on as they all fit very well. We all use different manufacturers for suits due to sponsorships outside of Black Magick.

Hope this answers a few questions. There will be video within the next few days on Skyleague.com I will try to post when it is up.

Thomas

The pool is not really suitable for bootie, sit, or head down orientations. Formations like D or block 16 pose serious problems in both execution and presentation for the judges. not saying it is impossible but there are some major hurdles to cross.

Back in Black...
jj out

That f looks like a bitch!

The F is judgeable and the point and tail are cheating into the next point. High class stuff.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yeah, but it's the only time I'll be able to say our team went up against a team with those names in competition (AA).

Are you deliberately using the term "only", instead of "first" :P
Who says they wont do another meet in AA? :D

Are you deliberately using the term "only", instead of "first" :P
Who says they wont do another meet in AA? :D

I mean "this season" ("only" opportunity) maybe there will be a concurrent meet weekend with my team. Or maybe nats if we go. But likely it will happen late in the season when they are averaging 10's (on their backs, with their eyes closed, with one hand tied up).

I'm a very simple man and take hope where I can get it.