elightle

Small Jumper, Fat Grippers, and Floating

Yeah, Ed, big grippers (and booties) can affect your fall rate. Guys like us are destined to wear weights - at least for four way. I made my own weight belt with neoprene across the back and some light padding, getting one that is comfortable makes all the difference. We get back at the fast fallers doing four way in the tunnel, though. They keep bouncin' off the grate and chewing up their jump suits every time someone disrupts the airflow.

If you wear all your weights in the front and bunch them as close to your belly button as you can, it'll help you go faster than with the same amount of weight all the way around. Don't know for sure why, but having all the weight in the front also seems to help so people with stability.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

Stick with the big ones, it'll be easier for teammates, or people you are jumping with, if you are doing piece turns. Just add another pound or two. Might as well get used to it now.

Don't forget to be aware of any aggressive landings if don't jump with weights for a while and then through them on. 8 - 12 lbs. makes a big difference!

Ben

sticks!

Ben, I'll keep the big grippers. Heck, I already wear 16.5 lbs. What's another 1.5 lbs, right. Of course, this year I might need to go lighter. I've put on a few pounds for the first time in several years. I'm also jumping a Stiletto 120 for the first time with an exit weight of nearly 170 lbs.

When I got big grippers on my suit it made me floaty too. However the grippers are well worth it in my opinion.
I also purchased a custommade belt, fits me great and don't bother me at all. I also keep all the weight on the front - its simply a matter of aerodynamics.

Also - I found that during the times when I stretch regularly, I need less weight, probably as I arch harder with less effort. ;)

vibeke,

Thanks so much for confirming what some people said I was just imagining. Only another floaty person would understand. I wear so much weight that I can't put it all in the front. But it fits comfortably around my waist. I'll keep the fat grippers and do some stretching exercises.

Blues to ya!
- Ed - ;)

Stick with the big ones, it'll be easier for teammates, or people you are jumping with, if you are doing piece turns.
Ben

It shouldn't matter what size gripers you have, they aren't there for people to "hang on" to, they should be flying their slot... jump with someone else if they need a big gripper to stay where they're supposed to be :P

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" --Steven Wright

You clearly have not considered the added drag the grippers will produce. Bigger surface = slower fallrate unless you take action to compensate!

Besides - big grippers is also preferred by the top elite teams. Do you think their main reason for this is that they don't know how to fly their body?! :P ...No, the bigger grippers is just easier when turning pieces and catching grips when things goes fast. If you are more quickly on, you can be faster off it and on your way to next point! ;)

Besides - big grippers is also preferred by the top elite teams. Do you think their main reason for this is that they don't know how to fly their body?! :P ...No, the bigger grippers is just easier when turning pieces and catching grips when things goes fast. If you are more quickly on, you can be faster off it and on your way to next point! ;)

Why is that? i dont have alot of experience, but my thought is that in order to "get on" a grip, all you have to do is touch it. (this is an honest question, not trying to be a smart ass). I've never really understood the point of those huge grippers. of course i would never get them since they're about the same size as my arm, haha, but obviously that wouldnt be an issue for some people

Big grippers are more for the heavy piece turning of yarding your piece partner around. Laying on hands or "monkey hooking" the legs is a much bigger target and faster to get on and off while also showing to the judges.

If you are doing fun 4way and bigways. Get smaller grippers to help with the fallrate. But if competitive 4way is something you want to pursue, beefy grippers are somthing you and your teammates are going to enjoy.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

You're right and wrong at the same time.

Random work should be "light" and all other jumpers should be doing in lightly touching grips - my team focusses on this a great deal on the creepers and in the air.

The inner moves of blocks, though, are a whole different ball game. Thicker and heavier grippers allow piece partners to be aggressive in their moves without fear of losing hold of one another.

Valid question, though.

Ben
MD

sticks!