VanillaSkyGirl

10-Way Speed Stars

Ok, I was recently asked to jump on an all-girl 10-way speed star team in a (mostly fun) competition which takes place tomorrow. I haven't really been flying (due to health), but I did one jump on Tuesday afternoon to stay current and flew in the tunnel last night (10 min. session) to get back into the groove.

What should I keep in mind for this weekend? It is a low-pressure and mostly fun comp, but I don't want to embarrass myself or my team mates. I would just like some pointers, since I don't really know anything about 10-way speed stars.

I've actually never been in any skydiving comps, yet, not even "fun" ones like this. (Ooops...BEER.) I am going to just try my best and stay relatively confident/calm, so I can fly well. Anything else that I should try to do, besides have fun?

The only thing I know about speed stars is that you form them, as fast as possible, and ride them all the way down to break off. The competition is in how fast you can complete them.

Have you worked on anything bigger than a four-way before :)

Cheers

I'm pretty sure she knows WHAT a speed star is. I think she was looking for tips on the actual execution of this skydive.

I've only been involved in 1 10-way speed jump (non-competition). It was very fun. I was the 9th to exit. Overall it went smoothly, and we built the point in plenty of time, although one person almost broke the formation when they docked very hard.

The only thing I know about speed stars is that you form them, as fast as possible, and ride them all the way down to break off. The competition is in how fast you can complete them.

Thank you, but I know the basics of 10-way speed stars, my friend. I was asking for more specific advice. ;)

Have you worked on anything bigger than a four-way before :)

Of course, silly! :ph34r: I've been on a 17-way, 14-ways and several 10-ways (some formation loads and my first 5 speed stars) and 8-ways. I PREFER 4-ways for the speed and multi-points.

Speaking of what we have and have not done. Avion, have you ever jumped out of a plane? :P

I'm pretty sure she knows WHAT a speed star is. I think she was looking for tips on the actual execution of this skydive.

I've only been involved in 1 10-way speed jump (non-competition). It was very fun. I was the 9th to exit. Overall it went smoothly, and we built the point in plenty of time, although one person almost broke the formation when they docked very hard.

Thank you, and I've exited last before, as well. Loads of fun!!! ;)

Well, thanks for the help. Hopefully, more people will post soon...:)

The only thing I know about speed stars is that you form them, as fast as possible, and ride them all the way down to break off.

Not sure about riding it down part;) People do all kind of fun staff after completing the formation. Just don't piss the judges off ;);)

Rosa,

I know this is too late for tomorrow because this is tomorrow. But with your size, dive fast and dock hard. I mean don't flare until you are on grips.If they are doing real live stars, everyone should have high grips and sort of sit back and put tension on the star. That way it can take a harder hit. Remember, real "10 way" hurts.B|

It sould be, dive, dock, turn and pull.

Be safe,

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Gosh Dom, Saturday was damned FUN! Too bad I didn't get to see you much, but I'll be around more now that I'm feeling better healthwise. ;)

Hey, "Token Testaterone" aka "Terrific Tits" (the name was changed) came in 4th place, so we scored/did better than at least 3 or 4 other teams. Not too shabby considering my jump numbers (for sure, I was the newbiest of all), and the fact is...that I would have been uncurrent if I hadn't done one jump that Tuesday prior.

Dom, that morning, when I saw that the teams were pretty serious and experienced 4-way or RW competitors from both Perris and Elsinore, I was pretty intimidated. Like I said, I haven't really been jumping/flying. (I had done 6 jumps since June 3rd.) :$ Our team worked together, and we managed to get all the "required formations/pts." on all jumps under the allotted times easily enough. The first jump we had all pts. plus we easily did the bonus. It was the best jump that we did that day! The others, we didn't get the "bonuses", but we came close at least one more time. Well, it was fun, either way.

Frankly, I was just flattered that I had been asked to come out of my non-jumping time and into a competition. :)
That night, I watched the video over and over again to see where I could have improved my flying (a lot of places), until I fell asleep in my living room's hardwood floor in front of my TV. :$:D I woke up wishing that I had been more current for this, even though I know that it was mostly a "fun" day, and wishing that we had been able to get third place! Grrr...:P

Edited for typos! ha!

The important part is you had fun! That is what this is supposed to be all about anyway!!!!!

You ladies and Jonathon did very well. Since The top three teams had prettymuch hardcore weekenders at least. Your team showed very well.

The third place team was taking it way to serious. They missed the point of the whole thing. It was ment to be a fun time. The medals weren't important. Everyone was safe and noody gothurt. Smiles all the way around at the end of the day is all we should be looking for or expect.
Dom

Sounds scary Crazy

real 10 way speed stars do hurt. Last year I got kicked so hard I didn't remember pulling on a jump and our camera man even go this finger broken on a jump!:ph34r:

Ah speed stars my favourite from all altitudes,

I love the bit about if it dosent hurt your not doing it right
Never a truer word was ever spoken .
I lost both front teeth to a fast exit
and have lost several crowns to these enegetic exits
My favourite 10way speedstars are the scratch comps
these jumps are not for the faint hearted
The old saying "slow is fast " dosent apply
here it's fast is fast an faster is even better
Just remember to wear a helmet

Gone fishing