Jimchamp1

Turns AROUND the Center Point . . .

Hey everyone . . . okay, I just got my "A" license and I am looking to work on a few new things. I have done a couple of two-way jumps just to start learning to work with other people while I'm in freefall. I am doing well with my turns but there is a type of turn that I do not quite understand . . .
If I am facing the center point . . . how do I do a 360 AROUND that point while keeping it directly in front of me? I think that makes sense . . . ANYONE PLEASE . . . I am getting ready to make a few more jumps in a week and I want to be able to do some of the simple RW type things so I can better work with other divers . . . THANKS!:)

I am not referring to a turn around MY centerpoint (or belly button) . . . I am saying the center point of say me and another jumper. How would I do a circle around that jumper while keeping them in directly in front of me as I rotate around them? I know I could get a coach but MONEY is an issue so if anyone could briefly explain it on here that would be AWESOME . . . THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

Hi,

The move you're talking about is included in the superpositional movement "class". Is a composed move because it includes 2 or 3 out of the 3 different following basic types of movement.

Basically we have rotational moves, translational moves and level adjustment moves. You can do each of this separately.

But when you combine any 2 out of these 3 basic moves, or even the 3 at the same time (as for example when performing "verticals", which is 3D formation skydiving blocks), you have a superpositional movement.

That said, means that you'll only be able to execute a correct superpositional movement when you are able to execute in perfect control each of these basic moves separately. When you're OK with turns, slides and levels, then you're in conditions to start practicing superpositional moves.

Superpositional movement is one of the course goals in Airspeed Tunnel Camps.

http://www.tunnelcamp.com/content.asp?id={DE889C09-00EC-4115-B7FB-5F6DD7261E73}&cursection=01.03

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Just to add some Superpositioning drills (from the TunnelCamp.com Basic Curriculum):

(...)

III Day Three
A. Superpositioning – Moving Your Center Point While You Rotate
1 Accordian 180 Stairstep and back
2 Accordian 360 Accordian and back (inside turn)
3 Accordian 360 Accordian and back (outside turn)
4 Half-Star 360 Bipole and back
5 Spin around the instructor (Half-Star 360 bipole, 90 to the Accordian, 360 to the other Accordian, 90 to the Half-Star, 360 to the Bipole than reverse the whole thing)

(...)

http://www.tunnelcamp.com/content.asp?id={E9B7DA16-CB3E-455D-9340-DAFF292F78E6}&cursection=01.12

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

I agree with Dave that the best way to master any advanced moves (and CP turn is pretty hard move) is to make a lot of coached jumps with video and also get a lot of tunnel time. However, if you can only afford a few jumps a month I would suggest to keep jumping and stay current because this is one of the most important safety factors. It does not make sense to spend all your money for coaching if you do not use these skills on regular basis. One of my first instructors once said that the best and only way to become a fantastic skydiver in future is to survive the dives you are making now. Try to maintain a balance;)

So Jim: to side slide drop a knee and same arm. to center point turn drop a knee and opposite arm. To turn around a point (your head or a person) Drop knee and and same elbow, but dig in with the upper body or just put more into the lower body. Since you live near Perris go to the tunnel and watch people. Of course once you visit you will be paying to go in into the tunnel. B|

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...