JUDYJ

Is RW a natural gift or can it be learned? If so, HOW??

Reading Driving "fun" jumpers crazy thread -- I know I will really like doing this.

Can I ask you guys how you start to learn all this stuff? Like a book? Video? I can ask at the DZ but some things I like to discover on my own at first. :PI trust those who are teaching me explicitly and without reserve. My purpose was to hear other thoughts... and I didn't want to know what others have done in the past. What's the current vibe of people here on how to learn RW and being really great at it?

I am just finishing AFF but I do have 90 min tunnel time in Orlando. I contribute making every AFF jump rock because I had the tunnel after AFF1 -- plus a great instructor or two here in Oklahoma. ;) I watched the Italians practice while I was in Florida. How awesome is that? To see them turn so perfectly and stop on a dime (so to speak) was inspiring. I like turning and am way comfortable with it. I know I have lots and lots to learn and practice but you know? It's where my heart already is!

And I like learning.....and thinkingB| so please share your wisdom with me~~~~~ THANKS!!!!!:)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Here is what I am doing. I don't know how it works everywhere but this is working for me. At Skydive Elsinore and Perris we have two-way skills camps where you can learn how to do RW. It is great fun and I have learned so much. See if they have something similar at your DZ. It is awesome to get coaching from some great RW people.

By the way, the instruction is free, I just pay for my slots. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

It sounds like you're off to a great start already. I would recommend going here and check out the IPC dive pool. It contains the randoms (single formations) and block (two formation with a specific way to transition in between them.) Learn these formations and practice them. It would hurt to learn the letter names for the randoms and the numbers for the blocks as well.

Also check out the National Skydiving League web page. There is a ton of information up there as well as lots of 4-way video.

There are books and videos on 4-way as well. The Arizona Airspeed web site sells the Best of Airspeed video as well as the 499. The 499 contains Airspeed's entire 4-way plan as of 1999. DeLand Majik also put out a great DVD which I highly recommend.

Talk to the local RW and 4-way jumpers at your dropzone. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out. You can check out TunnelCamp.com for training at the wind tunnel as well.

:)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

The number one thing is that you have to have the desire to learn and be coached. You are well on your way. I am a newbie and all my jumps have been RW jumps.

My suggestion is to watch people training on the ground. Get to know the people who do RW for fun and for competition. Let them know that you are interested in learning. I have found that if you express that interest to the people around your DZ, the experienced jumpers will be glad to take you on some jumps. I would suggest starting with some 2 and 3-ways to work on turns, eye contact and stopping. Then gradually work into bigger groups when you are getting more comfortable with those skills.

Watch lots of videos!!! Airspeed, Golden Knightss..even videos of people at your DZ. Pick out a person in the video and watch how they fly their body. You will pick up so much just from observation.

Good Luck to you. RW is so much fun! I know that you are going to love it!:)
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

I just started skydiving and I've been getting really into rw.....I think its just like everything else...some people get it and some people take a little bit more time to get the hang out it.....to learn all of the randoms and blocks i liked the mind maps airspeed dvd....as for as technique coaching helps sooo sooo much....and if you live near a wind tunnel...its a great investment and helps boost your learning curve by amazing amounts...

hearts,
justin
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there
you will long to return.
-Leonardo da Vinci

I have recently learned a great advantage to being trained at a very small DZ....lots less people who see you mess up. ;) But I wish I had the resources available as you do when wanting to learn something new. I believe I am learning as much as is possible....it's just me - thristy to know it all! :)

thanks for your help! I am planning on being at the Perris Boogie Memorial Day weekend, will you??

Wanna get really good at RW in 20 jumps? Get a good Skydive U coach to take you through all the jumps. I've been absolutely floored at the RW skills of someone that did SDU more then a few times.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you wish to get good at any disipline, make it your focus on every jump. get as much video as you can. watch over and over. slow motion is awesome.
go to a tunnel skills camp. use your video as a tool to see how your coaches move and you can never do enough drill dives. solo 2way,3way, etc...
watch the world champs, visualize you are one of them. if your mind believes the body will eventaully follow.

If you've already looked at the dive pool, then you would have seen that it's broken into two categories. Randoms and block sequences.

In terms of Randoms, a single formation is a point. Such as the Unipod. To earn that point, you have to correctly build the Unipod as shown.

In terms of Block Sequences, you have a formation, then a required interim movement, and another formation. The block is worth two points. To earn both points you have to correctly build the first one, correctly perform the interim as shown in the pool, and finally build the second point as shown.

In competition, these items are placed into a hat and drawn out in whatever order they come out. A single skydive can consist of 5 or 6 "points" if you are competing in the Open category. Less if you are in a different category, such as Intermediate.

If you complete the sequence, you then return to the first point and do it all again. A competition skydive is done on the clock. The timer starts as soon as the first person leaves the aircraft and stops 35 seconds later.

The team with the most number of points correctly done in the time alloted wins. Most meets consist of 6 skydives, all different. National level and World level meets generally consist of 10. Again, every skydive is completely different from the others. And you don't know what the order of the points will be until the night before the competition starts because that's when the draw is performed.

One beauty of 4-way (there are so many), is that every competition is completely different from the last because the draw is going to be different. Some draws are going to be "fast" and others "slow". Meaning that a fast draw is a series of points that are easy to do very quickly and with little movement. A slow draw would be the opposite.

But I digress.

4-way is just ONE version of RW. It is probably the most organized and popular of all the forms, but it isn't the only way to go.

On the other hand, I've been involved in 4-way since 1976 and I can't stop :o. It is an excellent training ground, and good 4-way people can do just about anything else. It has challenges at both the mental and physical level that can take a lifetime to master. But what a ride!

Enjoy!
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

You have been given some great advise on how to learn RW. The best way to get good at skydiving is skydiving.
One thing you should keep in mind, we can't all be world champs. You started skydiving for the fun and enjoyment. It is recreation, don't turn it into a job.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Very true,,,but my job I don't smile half as much at...and with my job I don't get to play. Of course, since this weekend wasn't such a great landing.. I will have to wait a little while on getting to learn in the air as much as I wanted to. I am looking forward to learning all I can about skydiving and RW.

You're in Oklahoma, right? I'm not sure about there, but I know SD Dallas has some really good ones. If you want, call down there and talk to Ernie, Mandy or Perry Perkins, they will be able to point you in the right direction if you don't want to go see them. (Although those 3 kick ass and would do you well).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The best way to get good at skydiving is skydiving.

100% spot-on.

...You started skydiving for the fun and enjoyment. It is recreation, don't turn it into a job.

I rather like the hard-core aspect of training. I do not believe I could enjoy long-term tandem-master or AFFI, but coaching and competition are a siren song. I derive an immense amount of pleasure from working hard at getting better, and passing along what little I know to hungry jumpers. I'm currently blessed with teammates that share these desires. Perhaps someday my obsession will turn into vocation, but since it doesn't pay squat, it will certainly have to be a labor of love.

To address the original question: I think the ability to excel in RW is a gift; becoming good can be learned with a modicum of effort. The more effort applied, the better your skydiving can become, until you reach your personal effort/reward saturation point. Note that reaching this point means only you have found your 'happy place', and may change over time.

-- Dave

The best way to get good at skydiving is skydiving.

100% spot-on.

...You started skydiving for the fun and enjoyment. It is recreation, don't turn it into a job.

I rather like the hard-core aspect of training. I do not believe I could enjoy long-term tandem-master or AFFI, but coaching and competition are a siren song. I derive an immense amount of pleasure from working hard at getting better, and passing along what little I know to hungry jumpers. I'm currently blessed with teammates that share these desires. Perhaps someday my obsession will turn into vocation, but since it doesn't pay squat, it will certainly have to be a labor of love.

To address the original question: I think the ability to excel in RW is a gift; becoming good can be learned with a modicum of effort. The more effort applied, the better your skydiving can become, until you reach your personal effort/reward saturation point. Note that reaching this point means only you have found your 'happy place', and may change over time.

-- Dave

Dave,
Very well stated. The "happy place" is different for everyone and can be different at different times.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals