Squeak

Creepers

I've built six so far. (four in college which we upholstered)

1 - Lay down on a half to 3/4 inch plywood and trace a form. Anything will do. I also put in a handle on one side to carry and a whole in the top to hang from. I have a standard pattern, but it's not a huge deal.

2 - Walmart has sleeping bag foam (~$14). If you cut the form right, each foam can be used to cover two (2) forms. It's high density and 'egg crate' and has a stiff surface. Several colors.

3 - 3M spray adhesive.

4 - Go to the internet and find Dunn and Co Castor company. They are in Des Moines, IA. They have a double bearing (both the pivot and wheel) castor for about 8 bucks/each. It has a red, hard rubber/poly wheel. You'll have to call and ask for it, they have a couple people who know what I'm talking about if you mention these castors for skydivers (double bearing, for skydivers, hard poly rubber wheels, four hole plate). It's perfect. If they are still not sure what you want, just describe the function of the castor. THE CASTOR IS THE ONLY THING OF IMPORTANCE IN THE CREEPER. You can always get cheaper foam or more thick foam, or even upholster the thing. But if you get a Home depot castor, you'll be very disappointed.

Dunn & Company
4405 121st Street
Urbandale, IA 50323
(800)728-3866
(515)244-7276
Fax (515)244-6731 or (888)799-3866
e-mail: [email protected]

Affix the wheels to the forms (you can figure out the right hardware, smooth tops so they don't poke through the foam.) I use one under each thigh, one at the top and one in the middle. If you get the right castors, you don't need to worry about raising the middle wheel.

Lay out the foam and spray the flat side. Spray the forms. After the adhesive is tacky, pick up the form by the castors and place it on the foam (glue to glue). Let the glue dry.

Cut off the extra foam from the edges last. An electric carving knife works well. Also a good quality carving knife if you use smooth long strokes (don't tell my wife which knife I use).

Each creeper is about $50 ($32 castor, $8 foam, bolts/washers/nuts/glue).

I also used it as my excuse to buy a jig saw and mouse sander.......:D

good luck

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

One more thing. You just as well use the best side of the wood for the 'down side' as the other side is glued to foam.

I'll rough up the glue side so the adhesive has gouges to fill in.

I'd sand and paint the wood side 'before' mounting the castors if I were you.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Advice is good, but alot of trouble. You could for about the same amount of money even less if you don't own the tools, just order one from skykat.com Casper creepers rock and are about half the weight of wooden ones. Very comfortable. NO I DON'T make them or work for Skykat, I have just used one for the past 4 years and spent alot of time on it. See you at nationals.
Stupid Sky Monkey.

Just got humbled in the tunnel.

Building one is not much trouble if you're handy. If you're not, then I understand. It's very minimal work. Only about a half hour per once you get the materials.

But getting good castors in Australia - I can't help much there.

I just looked at the site. $175 for creeper.

I'm sure they are nice and all, but is that for only one creeper? - Sheeeesh I should make and sell creepers for that big a profit margin. I do like the concept of quick release for the castors, though. It would be simple enough to configure the attachment to lock in 2 parts: 1 to fix the bolt to the form and then 2 a separate fix to attach the castors, maybe with a wingnut to keep it simple.

And the castor's wheels look flat - the ones I have are like in-line skate wheels.

A person could likely find lightweight form material if they looked and bypass the plywood if they'd want. Or use quarter inch and add stiffeners.

A person could always borrow a saw and sander if they didn't have one.

I'd say if you could save over $100 per creeper with just a little work, it would be worth it to me.

And we're building a couple more for a new team next weekend so that's now 12 creepers built to date. With 8 in this pattern in the last 3 years (not counting the 4 upholstered ones in college) that's over $800 saved compared to buying them. With shopping for materials and time in the garage to build them less than a work day total. Anyone here make $100 an hour? (Not including those who make and sell creepers for a living)

I'll step off this one. Didn't mean to persist so much, but's it easy enough to do it yourself and kind of fun if you're obsessive about 4-way. On the otherhand, I hire electricians and mechanics when it's probably a lot easier and cheaper to those things myself if I had the confidence......

Hmmmm - I think I'll research some lighter form material and quick connects and modify the creepers.

THANKS, now that I got this bug in my brain, I'll have to keep picking at the design until I make the changes>:(. That'll be distracting....... Maybe I can find an excuse to buy more tools :D

That's Sky Kats retail prices, not mine.....I make em for Sky Kat.
You can not use 1/4" material. (tried)
Have made about 200 creeps. And have used all different ones that have come accross. And the Casper Creepers are the best.....If they weren't....I'd change em and make them differently.
You can get any wheels that you like. But inline skate wheels are more $$.....and u really don't need em.
And plywood will delaminate if it gets wet.
Buzzzz

ok, sounds good.

I'll refer 'people "directly" to you if they don't want to make their own. I think we have a few more new teams coming up this next season and not all are handy - or so inclined.

If that's ok with you, let me know, I don't want to point people to you if you want your privacy.

I wish I was going to Nationals this year. It would be fun to compare notes. Like I said, the lightweight material and the quick disconnect castors are great ideas, I'm sure you put a ton of thought and effort into the designs.l

I just looked at the site. $175 for creeper.

I'm sure they are nice and all, but is that for only one creeper? - Sheeeesh I should make and sell creepers for that big a profit margin.

How about making your own helmets too I hear there's huge profit margins in them:P And from what I hear there not that hard to make.

And the castor's wheels look flat - the ones I have are like in-line skate wheels.

In line wheels suck ass, have you actually tried others to compare?

I'd say if you could save over $100 per creeper with just a little work, it would be worth it to me.

You could always save hundreds or thousands of dollars too if you sewed your own jumpsuit, harness, parachute etc. The patterns are right there, just unstitch the ones you own now. It really shouldn't be that hard!

ok so you'll pay top dollar for your custom Odyssey, Stiletto, jumpsuit, helmet etc. which are all there to basically make you look like a good skydiver but you wouldn't pay for a tool that will actually HELP to make you a better skydiver. Hmmm, that's kinda strange :S
Why would you want to try to roll around on some uncomfortable hunk of plywood that you keep falling off of and that requires way too much effort to get around? If you want to expend less energy and focus on "learning" not the creeper clunking around then I would go with a design that has been tested year after year by some of the best teams in the world.
I guess the reason someone would pay for the best creeper around is the same reason some people would pay for the best canopy around... R&D.

Peace,

R$D?! How about marketing. That's the only reason to buy an expensive creeper.

I've used Bill's creepers. They are great. Smooth roll and sturdy.

I think the reason most of us pay top dollar for skydiving helmet/ jumpsuit/ container/ canopy is because they are lifesaving devices.:P

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

In what way do you end that pile of shit with "peace"?

Don't know how to make a helmut - wish I could
Tried other wheels - these are the best so far
I'm not a rigger so I can't make my own rig and the CFD models etc are way too much up front investment.
The homemade creeper looks almost identical to the other one and is plenty comfortable and we don't fall off and the movement is very smooth. It's the castors that matter.
I've already swapped e-mail with the maker of the other one and we're cool - he doesn't need you to defend him and be rude about it.

Don't bother replying.

Oh - go Beez!!!

And I will send creeper referrals to you guys from my DZ even after 570's tirade.

Thanks, Ken, but he's just sticking up for his friend and teammate - I'd do the same, just not so 'in-your-face' if you know what I mean.

In what way do you end that pile of shit with "peace"?

Don't know how to make a helmut - wish I could
Tried other wheels - these are the best so far
I'm not a rigger so I can't make my own rig and the CFD models etc are way too much up front investment.
The homemade creeper looks almost identical to the other one and is plenty comfortable and we don't fall off and the movement is very smooth. It's the castors that matter.
I've already swapped e-mail with the maker of the other one and we're cool - he doesn't need you to defend him and be rude about it.

Don't bother replying.

How in the hell do you consider that a "tirade" and "in your face"?? There is nothing angry or violent in it. It sounds from the tone of your post your the one who is angry. Sorry if you took something in my post as offensive, if you knew me you would realize your mistake.
I don't see how I'm being any more rude to you than you are to Todd. Your the one who came back bitching about the price of the creepers. Don't you know that if you start to bitch about something your opening yourself up to some sort of rebuttle?? All I did was tell you that you could do the same with virtually every other piece of equipment you own (OK maybe I was out of line with the container... that would be costly!). All you need is the drive to do it.
Yes I know you talked with Todd and your OK with him. I guess you felt guilty for bitching about his creepers?
Oh and please refrain from telling others when they should or should not post.... don't you know that it is RUDE!!:D

PEACE

lighten up man, your taking this way too seriously!!!

Hi!

These creepers are "home-made" and work fine because the wheels are excellent!

If you are willing to take the effort, you can copy from the attached pics... to help you, the measures are in the pics.

Hope it helps!

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

Base, I'll stop here. Read your post from my position and see what you think. I just read from your position and see your point, too. Check the rest, too, it's not so bad as you think. PM me if you still have an issue. I don't.

I didn't bitch about the creepers, in fact I like some of the features and will try to emulate them in the future. Definitely not guilty about having an opinion either.

I've found the best way to get someone to 'lighten up' or 'relax' is to tell it to them. Works every time. (actually, a cold beer or seven. I'm buying)

Aww, man, I can't stay mad at you. (wasn't really ever, you were sticking up for a friend/teammate and got on a roll). I'm like that too.

peace right back at you

In the meantime, I'm thinking our Australian friend has some ideas to play with and fun our expense...

Mario - Nice.

Still like the hard poly/rubber castors. though.

What did you use for the top padding?

... What did you use for the top padding?

I don't know the exact designation in English, but I would say it's a 3 mm thick anti-slippery rubber fabric, most of the times used as indoors pavement.

This way, when you lay down on the creeper with your jumpsuits, you can move fast without worrying about to fall off from the creeper.

Blue Skies! B|
-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

I just build one for $80 total

"Castors of Oaklahoma" will sell the same wheels and casters that Casper Creepers use for $8 each. Ask for 3" diameter 7/8" wide performa wheels wheels with swivel casters. I used 1/2 birch plywood (eliminates most sanding) - from Home Depot and minicell foam padding from www.noc.com. The foam comes is many different thinknesses and you can use some of their thicker stuff to build up the front and the inside + outside of the legs. NOC sells MondoBond, a waterproof adhesive that works well. I also got some spray on polyurathane from the Depot that I put on right after I cut out the deck, so the whole thing is pretty weather proof. Happy building.
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I made some up a couple of years ago using some scrap pieces of 1" aluminum honeycomb panels from where I work. I was going to use the carbon fiber stuff but but that did not go over too well. We build race cars and carbon fibre part tooling from the stuff. Probably the lightest and strongest creepers in existance.

Of course it doesn't matter what the platform is made from just use the quality foam and castors. The castors I used were 20 CDN or about 14 US each at the time. The tires were hard polyurethane.

rm