Dogwap

Wind Tunnels’ Long Term Effect on Competition

Also, remove the danger of the actual skydive and very few people would see the difference between 4-way and square dancing.

Quade, I think square dancing is more physically demanding than the Winter Olympic sport of ....Curling. Well, maybe when you have to sweep like a mother to "drag" a stone it's more demanding than square dancing but that is about it. (You Californians know all about curling don't you? ;))
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Than again you have synchronized-swimming...also a thrill.

Synchronized swimming would draw a larger audience - the girls' bodies are displayed much better than in a wind tunnel.

Maybe if the tunnel event was done naked...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What difference is it to exit a plane and present to the relative wind exactly how you want to, and exit the tunnel chamber and place your self on the relative wind exactly as you want to? Same concept, different angles.

Also it is very possible to track in the tunnel and practice fall rates faster than the tunnel can go. It is even possible to experience the mushyness hill work gives you. It Just takes some creativeness and someone that can guide you well.

Im not saying that we should stop skydiving for good, but if we want this sport to improve then we have to improve. This is a great opportunity. Try it.

What difference is it to exit a plane and present to the relative wind exactly how you want to, and exit the tunnel chamber and place your self on the relative wind exactly as you want to? Same concept, different angles.

Please show me how this can be done. Video would be good. I know the wind tunnels have video, so please show me some video of exit practice in the wind tunnel.

Also it is very possible to track in the tunnel and practice fall rates faster than the tunnel can go. It is even possible to experience the mushyness hill work gives you. It Just takes some creativeness and someone that can guide you well.

Again, please show me how this can be done. I'm really interested in how tracking practice is accomplished in the wind tunnel. Again, video would be good. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

***What difference is it to exit a plane and present to the relative wind exactly how you want to, and exit the tunnel chamber and place your self on the relative wind exactly as you want to? Same concept, different angles.

Please show me how this can be done. Video would be good. I know the wind tunnels have video, so please show me some video of exit practice in the wind tunnel.
You can practice exits, sortof, in the tunnel. It is not anything like from the aircraft, except that perhaps you are moving from non-flying to flying. I've done several types of two-way exits (cat, stairstep, compress, star, sidebody, phalanx) with one standing in the doorway in the wind, the other in the door out of the wind. I've also done a few 4ways, standing upon the wire in the wind, and transitioning to flying. Again, the only similarity I noticed was the moving from static to flying. I suspect it builds awareness more than any accurate sensation. Moreover, such techniques "teach" you to go immediately to the flat and ignore the hill (bad). But they are fun (good). ;-)

I don't have the proper video hardware to upload from VHS, or I would show you some of these "exits".

Again, please show me how this can be done. I'm really interested in how tracking practice is accomplished in the wind tunnel. Again, video would be good. ;)
Fly towards a coach standing in the doorway, or perhaps as a fly on the wall. Once he has a firm stance and hold on you, start to track. You can achieve a very good forward push and a track-like posture. It's not really tracking, but you do get the feel for what certain body positions can do.

Both of these techniques require the tunnel staff to okay you individually, and are best done with a coach. Both of these techniques have the potential for harm. Do not try these without proper coaching.

IMHO the tunnel is no substitute for jumping. It is a wonderful tool that comes close to simulating a free fall, but it is a supplement, not a replacement.

I'm really interested in how tracking practice is accomplished in the wind tunnel. Again, video would be good. --------------------------------------
Humm I guess a good helmet would be required.B|
We did a drill where one tried to slde slide and the other held a side body on them and pushed against them.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Fly towards a coach standing in the doorway, or perhaps as a fly on the wall. Once he has a firm stance and hold on you, start to track. You can achieve a very good forward push and a track-like posture. It's not really tracking, but you do get the feel for what certain body positions can do.

IMO it's not tracking at all. You need the forward speed to get the lift. Without that how can you possibly figure out what the right body position is? The airflow in a track comes from a different direction.

IMO it's not tracking at all. You need the forward speed to get the lift. Without that how can you possibly figure out what the right body position is? The airflow in a track comes from a different direction.

Can somebody tell me the definition of tracking, because to me, it seems it's been blurred here. Tracking is the same as Forward. The only difference between Tracking and Forward is that when a skydiver tracks, he/she positions their body in a way that they are moving head down first in a flight pattern similar to a parachute 'down and forward.' Tunnelrats learned to fly horizontally, thereby eliminating the aggressive downward slope and replacing it with a more horizontal plane of flight. Can you practice this in the tunnel? Of course you can, but will you?

Can somebody tell me the definition of tracking, because to me, it seems it's been blurred here. Tracking is the same as Forward. The only difference between Tracking and Forward is that when a skydiver tracks, he/she positions their body in a way that they are moving head down first in a flight pattern similar to a parachute 'down and forward.' Tunnelrats learned to fly horizontally, thereby eliminating the aggressive downward slope and replacing it with a more horizontal plane of flight. Can you practice this in the tunnel? Of course you can, but will you?
Blue Skies and Fast Air,

to get a "real" track you have to gain lift from your body....To do that you have to move fast horizontally....You can't do that in a tunnel. You can move forward, but you can't move forward fast enough to gain lift...so the only way to practice that is in the air.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

to get a "real" track you have to gain lift from your body....To do that you have to move fast horizontally....You can't do that in a tunnel. You can move forward, but you can't move forward fast enough to gain lift...so the only way to practice that is in the air.

I suppose by 'real' track you mean Skydiving Track. and the 'forward fast enough to gain lift'?? You can't be saying that you gain lift when tracking... if you are, then I still don't get it. Lift is opposing the pull of gravity, no one is accomplishing that on a skydive at any time.. you are always falling. Falling with grace and style maybe, but still falling. In the tunnel, you can maintain 'altitude', truly understanding the concept of lift, while using drag (like in skydiving) to pilot your body forward.

I suppose by 'real' track you mean Skydiving Track. and the 'forward fast enough to gain lift'?? You can't be saying that you gain lift when tracking... if you are, then I still don't get it. Lift is opposing the pull of gravity, no one is accomplishing that on a skydive at any time.. you are always falling.

Yes I am saying that...You can gain lift without actually climbing. You instead will just use that lift to slow the descent rate..Think of a glider..It still has lift even though it can't on its own gain altitude. Hell think wingsuit. They gain lift, and you can't practice that in a tunnel.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Lift is opposing the pull of gravity, no one is accomplishing that on a skydive at any time.. you are always falling.

Hi Dawn -

1 - Then a glider wouldn't work in this discussion either. But it does.

2 - In a good track, you can generate a flow of air 'around' the body in addition to 'against' (against). The flow around can produce a force component which has a vector pointing in the opposite direction of weight (in a steep dive, it's a very small component, also, as a wing, we have a very small span - as in span, camber, chord). But that's still lift by any definition. Of course, the big player is drag which is that 'against' force. I say any skydiving model could be fully done with only drag and ignore the lift components, though. Except for maybe full tracking modeling.

Hey Ron - Tunnel camp last weekend. I understand ALL of what you meant in the mantis postings. THANKS for the discussions and things to think about. I worked quite a bit of fine tuning.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I suppose by 'real' track you mean Skydiving Track. and the 'forward fast enough to gain lift'?? You can't be saying that you gain lift when tracking... if you are, then I still don't get it. Lift is opposing the pull of gravity, no one is accomplishing that on a skydive at any time.. you are always falling. Falling with grace and style maybe, but still falling. In the tunnel, you can maintain 'altitude', truly understanding the concept of lift, while using drag (like in skydiving) to pilot your body forward.

Lift is DEFINED as the vector component of force perpendicular to the free stream direction (which, roughly translated, is the direction in which you are moving). A skydiver in a good flat track most certainly generates lift. In fact, the lift is generated efficiently enough that the fall rate in a good flat track is the slowest of any body position.

By your reasoning, not even a glider wing would generate lift, since in still air a glider is always descending, just like a skydiver.

Blowing air upward in a wind tunnel is not the same as generating lift.