CornishChris

"Cocking"

I should probably know this.

I have read lots of comments about cocking the pilot chute and to be honest I am not sure what this means. Is this only on collapsible PC's and what are the benefits & differences of Collapsible PC's compared to the standard PC's?

Excuse my ignorance on the subject but apparently there are no stupid questions in here.

Any info would be welcomed.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

That's right...no stupid questions for sure...

imagine driving a boat with an anchor out...that's what flying a canopy can be like with a non collapsable PC out back...you can do it...but it's not the most efficient way to go about it. PD says that no matter what size canopy you jump you should have a collapsable...others say that larger sizes dont need it.

cocking your PC is for collapsable CENTERLINE pilot chutes...bungee collapsable don't need to be cocked....but they have there own problems over the centerline...

hope this helps with some of your questions....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

When a collapsable pilot chute is collapsed the middle of the pc where the hackey is (the apex?) is drawn in to the end of the bridle, preventing the pc from inflating. When you 'cock' a collapsable pc you're pulling the apex back away from the end of the bridle so it will inflate.

See outrageously helpful diagram below:
= is the bridle
x is the hackey
- is the kill line

Collapsed:

//
===||x
\\

Cocked:

_
/ \
===|-|x