AggieDave

RW Suit review: Bev Suit

Alrighty, like I promised a while back, once I got my new RW suit, I'd post a review of it here.

Purchased is a Bev Suit. Options purchased are the following: Large grippers (arms, both sides of legs), poly cotton material, liner (double material on the belly/chest/front of suit), pleats (material on the legs for fall rate control), cordura butt and knees, XL booties.

Thoughts on the suit:

I bought it since I need a good RW suit and one that would help me with fall rate control. After discussing with 2 Skydive U coaches and the head instructor at SD Aggieland, I decided not to get swoop cords (which I find to be the right decision).

The stitches and seems are very strong, the customer service was excellent AND the suit was delievered on time.

Now, how does the suit fly?

It flies very very good. Its taken me a couple jumps to get used to the larger booties, but at this point I love the power they give (compaired to normal booties). The "pleates" on the legs are awsome for giving that extra power for popping up.

On a RW dive I was on this past weekend (I was lurking, playing with fallrate, with some floaty jumpers doing RW), I averaged 112mph over all, 117 high average, 106 low average. Max was 137mph when I dived out the door.

So, overall I'm very happy with the purchase, it looks good and flies very nice. It also has helped me conquer the fall rate demons that I've been fighting for the past 3 years.

Back

Front
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Purchased is a Bev Suit. Options purchased are the following: Large grippers (arms, both sides of legs), poly cotton material, liner (double material on the belly/chest/front of suit), pleats (material on the legs for fall rate control), cordura butt and knees, XL booties.

...I decided not to get swoop cords (which I find to be the right decision).

The stitches and seams are very strong, the customer service was excellent AND the suit was delievered on time.

Are the grippers cordura, too? How thick are the large grippers in inches? Was the doubled fabric an option? I don't see it on their order form, so how much more was that? The pleats on the legs are confusing to me. Can you describe this and explain the exact purpose for pleats. What are swoop cords? How long did it take to get this suit, and did you pay extra to have it rushed?

I'm sorry for all the questions. This info is very important to me as I am going to purchase a custom RW Bev (Hotbod) suit myself this week. I have bought used RW suits and had them altered, but it's just not the same. I had suit altered so much smaller that I realized on the ground, I can't turn or arch properly anymore. I am petite, but unlike other small women - I have feminine curves. Proper fit with even normal clothing has always been an issue.

I had a freefly suit custom made, and it fits like a dream. Since I am thinking seriously about pursuing RW, I decided to also purchase a custom suit. I truly believe in the "dress for success" saying after wearing so many different suits.

Thank you in advance, David. :)

Are the grippers cordura, too? How thick are the large grippers in inches? Was the doubled fabric an option? I don't see it on their order form, so how much more was that? The pleats on the legs are confusing to me. Can you describe this and explain the exact purpose for pleats. What are swoop cords? How long did it take to get this suit, and did you pay extra to have it rushed?

Would recommend Cordura grippers. They hold up significantly better, and are a lot easier to grip. The hot bod std comes with small grips, roughly 1/2 inch thick. If possible I would recommend the large grips, and of course the square grippers are really nice. The large grippers are 1 1/2 inch thick, with the square grippers about 1 1/2 by 2 with a spandex insert that makes for easy gripping.

Of course Bev makes a great female suit period, and I recommend the Comp suit to everyone. Cordura booties, with the FX bootie mod gives a lot more power in the legs than the std booties. The Booties (fx) has 2 folds of fabric that run from the toe to the knee creating channels for the wind, and making the booties more stiff (more powerful).

Bev will typically have it delivered in under 4 weeks, if she is not busy, 2 weeks I have seen without the rush. for $20 you are garunteed 2 weeks, for $40 you get it in a week.

Swoop cords are a method to pull out the material near the arm pits to give you some more surface area to create lift (like small like camera wings). My guess based on your size you will not need them.

I'm not Dave, but I do know a lot about the suits ;)
Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Doubled materal is used to slow fall rates, unless you are really fast you should'nt need it. Pleats are for the same reason. Swoop cords are mainly used to create temp wings for swoopers. They provide a lot of stopping power when you are in a dive.

Call Bev up and talk to her about your suit, shes really nice to work with and will create a great suit if you explain to her exactly where your size issues are.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thank you so much for the information, Jonathon & Eric. I will definitely call Bev to discuss my suit. I am asking my mentor at my DZ and my BF, as well, but I want to hear as many opinions as possible. I decided on the Bev Hot Bod based on other females at my DZ's opinions of what worked for them and why.

However, I am at home now & trying to decide on the extra features. Of course, because I am 5 ft. 100 lbs., I have completely the opposite problems that a larger man may have. The great thing is that with my arch, I can fall with very fast fallers without weights. The heaviest that I've tried a belly dive with was at my jump #30. He is 230 lbs. (6ft) out the door, and it was NO problem staying eye to eye with him in my freefly suit and his street clothing! ;)

Thank you, again, everyone. I am very excited about this suit! :)

The great thing is that with my arch, I can fall with very fast fallers without weights.

Yuck, Get weights, 10 lbs wont be too bad and will allow you to be more flat and comfortable. It gives you range also to go down faster or to go up on verticals (of course once you are up you have to be able to go back down). You have more power when you are not as arched, and can move faster. And after a hard day of work, your back will not be as sore.

Oh and make sure you get the belt and not the vest. Either a Deja Blue weight belt (my recommendation) or a lead belly.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Thank you for your great advice! Wendy also PMed me about this. (Thanks, Wendy.)

Actually, yes, I am definitely getting weights! I realized that I will need this when I do RW 4-ways or big-ways. Yes, I have decided to make it a weight belt. Of course at 30 jumps, I was a little new for that. ;) I will definitely need the extra weight for the type of skydiving that I want to do. It WILL make it easier on me. Since I am still not completely comfortable with my landings, I have not worn weights, yet. I have a feeling that I will begin using them pretty soon, though.

Thanks, again & blue skies! :)

so Jonathan is partly correct on the bootie thing. many hours in the wind tunnel went into the development of the stiffners on her suits. Merlin, Tony and Michigan all have something similar. Basically, they are there to prevent the bootie from collapsing on your leg and not acting as a sail to catch the air. Makes the legs much more powerful (beware). Also, since there is more fabric, you will go a little slower. The competition option will get you the square grippers, etc.

The great thing is that with my arch, I can fall with very fast fallers without weights.

Yuck, Get weights, 10 lbs wont be too bad and will allow you to be more flat and comfortable. It gives you range also to go down faster or to go up on verticals (of course once you are up you have to be able to go back down). You have more power when you are not as arched, and can move faster. And after a hard day of work, your back will not be as sore.

Oh and make sure you get the belt and not the vest. Either a Deja Blue weight belt (my recommendation) or a lead belly.

--

For about $25 you can buy 2 pairs of Reebok ankle weights (complete with removeable weight packets) from K-Mart or Target. Sew three of these together (takes just a few minutes) and you have a very nice weight belt, with zippered weight pockets and everything you could want, and you save a bundle and still have one weight left over towards a friend's weight belt. Looks just as good as the $75 jobs from the gear store.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sorry, David. I didn't mean to take over this thread. Your initial post was really informative for me. Btw, how long, did it take to get the suit after ordering it? I am going to South American on the 27th, and I will be back around July 7th. I would like to jump with my suit as soon as I return. I don't know if I should ask for it to be rushed.

Thanks, everyone for all the answers to my questions! These hints are FABULOUS! I am always learning so much from the posts. :)

It took 4 weeks if I remember correctly. I did ask for the rush, but then there's a super-rush that will send it next day air, but I didn't get that (although if I had, I would have had the jumpsuit for a boogie).

Ordered my suit the first week of May. Called yesterday (July 8) and she said they're at 12 weeks for a regular order and to expect mine the first week of August, but be sure to call and confirm.

I can wait.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I actually just got my Bev suit about a week ago. I needed it for a boogie, did double rush, and it arrived in about a 10 days.

I got a lot of the options that aggie did. I got the cordura booties, and they seem to be really nice.

anyways, I really like the suit... it seems to be very well made, and looks good. :)

MB 3528, RB 1182

Found a quirk about the suit...

With the pleates, if you're punched out real hard to keep with a big boy (bigger then me), so you're falling at around 150mph, and you barely put your toes out to drive forward, the pleats will catch and pop you up.

That's a fairly rare situation, though.

Hooray!! I just ordered mine!! I got many of the same options:
Large grippers (arms, both sides of legs),
liner
cordura butt and knees,
booties with zippers,
zippers on the arms.

White with purple legs and butt, forest green grippers, gray binding tape- to match my rig.

I got VERY impatient and went with the double-rush, so it should be here relatively soon (pun intended :ph34r:)

I'll see about posting pics when it arrives...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I also asked for a double rush and many options. I was told that it would take 2-4 weeks plus 1 week more for shipping with the double rush, but it arrived within 11 days! :)
The fit is UNBELIEVABLE!

It is comfortable, but really fitted...thank God for spandex! You know, I can be self-conscious about my looks and especially my body, at times. However, when I put on this suit, I really did feel like I had a "hot bod".

I don't know what else to say, but Bev has done a wonderful job. I cannot wait to jump it tomorrow! B|

Here is SA we have one or two local suppliers of RW Suits, but most of our senior RW jumpers and National Champions jump the Tony Suit.

A freiend ordered the Bev Suit with all the "Majik" options and I was quite impressed, a local jumper at our DZ then got the dealership to sell Bev Suits in SA (thanks Simba).

Our 4-Way went with Bev because of the quality and cut of the Bev Suit, we were also impressed with the reports on the suit.

Our order included, thick grips with cordura, inside leg grips, cool max linning (it's hot in SA) cordura bum and booties, booties with the pleates. We did a mass order (13 suits in total) and all but one suit did not fit correctly (a bit baggie), otherwise the workminship was excellent.

We collected our suits while in Orlando doing some tunnel, and were impressed with the flight charatristics of the suit, our team ordered the exact same (3 girls, one guy) and decided that if need be weights should be worn to compensate for fall rate, instead of going for a cotten suit.

I have also jumper the Tony Suit for about 15 jumps, and was impressed, but not as much as the first jump in my new Bev Suit. I give it a 10/10.

If in doubt, whip it out!

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

--

Anyone remotely handy can save a TON of money by making their own weight belt from Reebok ankle weights sewn together. It even looks good when done, zippered weight pockets, fully adjustable...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.