SSkydiver

Learning RW

I currently have low jump #'s but i wanted to ask the experienced jumpers what they did to get other to jump with you when you were a newbie to the sport. I have 60+ jumps with only a few 2-way and one 4-way. I jump exclusively at one dz and all the guys/gals there have serious jump #'s and i feel sort of out of place/inexperienced enough to ask if they want to do a 2-way. I really need to practice my docks and then move on from there. I assume the best way to get someone to do a 2-way would would be to pay for their jump but was wondering what other positive ways there are to approach it.

Its where ever a SDU (skydive univeristy) coach is at. There are some SDU campuses out there, but a SDU coach can do the same thing for you, where ever you are. Check around at your DZ, there might be a couple available for you.

Cost? I think anywhere from about $70 and up per jump. A break down, though, is that you'll actually save money for the same skills, since you'd spend more in jumps then the course costs for the same skills. Not only that, but you'd save a crap load of time, where you could be out killing some kick ass RW.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Watch out if you go to the wind tunnel - it's addictive!! If you do decide to go to the tunnel you should also consider going to either Sebastian or DeLand and get the SkyDiveU training there as well. Between the two of them you can't go wrong. Keep an eye out for RW skills camps and tunnel camps too.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

While all the above advice is excellent, I would hope that the experienced jumpers on your DZ would be willing in fact eager to make some jumps with you and help you along. Let them know you have an interest in RW and that you would love to join in on some jumps. I'm sure they would work you in. Now don't expect to get in on all of their jumps, but certainly some. If not find another DZ to jump at!

I'm in a similar situation as you. I have 56 jumps and most of the other people at the DZ have big jump numbers. I'm also interested in RW and it seems like alot of the people that have lower jumps numbers are more interested in freeflying. It has been hard for me to find someone to do 2-ways with. I have made the commitment and have hired coaches on my last 10 jumps, this seems to be making a huge difference in my abilities and I'm not as scared to ask someone to do a 2-way with me.

A positive way to approach them is to hang out and listen and ask questions at the bonfire or where ever the group goes after sunset.

The Skydive U/ Tunnel route is the best way to quickly advance your basic body flight skills to a point that you may not otherwise acheive making a handful of jumps each weekend.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Both Muff and SS have the same sad story that's more and more popular. New divers can't jump with the oldtimers and learn. Thus they are driven to Freeflying since the perception is it has less stress and more acceptable to do solo. (I like freeflying, just think that it shouldn't start until someone is proficient in belly flying - definition of 'proficient' is the next discussion here I'd suppose.)

I always make it a point to take a couple dives each weekend to put a new jumper in with 3 'better' jumpers. It's a lot of fun if not very fast. And the 'newbie' never, ever, pays for someone elses slot. That stinks. We didn't learn that way and I won't operate like that unless asked to spend significant coaching time with a single person doing very basic 2-ways.

It also keeps the crowd of jumpers fresh because someday we might need another teammate.....

Todays newbie might be the point man you need two years from now.

Tunnel, tunnel, tunnel and so on and so forth.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Both Muff and SS have the same sad story that's more and more popular. New divers can't jump with the oldtimers and learn. Thus they are driven to Freeflying since the perception is it has less stress and more acceptable to do solo. (I like freeflying, just think that it shouldn't start until someone is proficient in belly flying - definition of 'proficient' is the next discussion here I'd suppose.)

I always make it a point to take a couple dives each weekend to put a new jumper in with 3 'better' jumpers. It's a lot of fun if not very fast. And the 'newbie' never, ever, pays for someone elses slot. That stinks. We didn't learn that way and I won't operate like that unless asked to spend significant coaching time with a single person doing very basic 2-ways.

It also keeps the crowd of jumpers fresh because someday we might need another teammate.....

I have moved myself more to freeflying than RW for that reason. I'm learning to sit fly now but i watch alot of skydive videos and now want to get back to RW. I think i worry to much about not doing good on a 2 way or 3 way with more experienced jumpers and making them feel they just wasted a jump. I'm looking to get coaching and then get more involved with the more experienced jumpers after coaching.

I learned that the best way to get good at RW is to start with 2 ways. I am absolutely convinced of that now.
Outside of Skydive U, which costs a fortune, and the wind tunnel, which also costs a fortune, the best place I found to learn 2 way is at a 2 way skills camp at Skydive Elsinore in California. They have a free program out there and I was surprised to find the coaching is really serious and excellent. Most Americans are helpful at all of the dropzones that I visit, but when I go to California, I try and go to their camp. The last time I went, I saw many people that were there from b4 , all making hot 4 ways now. I have learned something everytime I go there. I such a big beliver in their program, that I told someone else in another forum below this one to write them. The man that teaches the camp is called MJ. He is good about writing back and I'm sure that you could get some good information from him.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I have 56 jumps and most of the other people at the DZ have big jump numbers. I'm also interested in RW and it seems like alot of the people that have lower jumps numbers are more interested in freeflying. It has been hard for me to find someone to do 2-ways with. I have made the commitment and have hired coaches on my last 10 jumps, this seems to be making a huge difference in my abilities and I'm not as scared to ask someone to do a 2-way with me.

Maybe you should suggest to the DZO that he start a RW mentoring program.

One of the great things about Roger Nelson was his willingness to jump with newbies, and willingness to support a (free) mentoring program for newbies at his DZ.

www.teamfunnel.com for the Skydive Chicago mentoring program.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This past weekend i got in touch with a coach at my DZ and talked to him on what i was wanting to learn. Ended up doing three 3-way jumps. Didnt have to pay for anyone else during those jumps but if i want one on one jumps with the coach (2-way) then i pay for his jump. The other 2 on the 3-way were much more experience than me but we had a blast on the jump. Did manage 4 points on the last 3-way.....first for me and i did buy the beer. Bottom line i found a coach, did three 3-way jumps and learned alot in just those three jumps. Looking forward to this weekend.

Skydive Dallas is an SDU campus.

Additionally, there's a ton of RW folk out there every weekend.

Quite a few new RW jumpers with about the same number of jumps as you have as well.

The past couple weeks some of us intermediate lvl guys have been been allocating our "Early Bird" 10.00 jumps as drill dives with those new jumpers. I personally find those jumps very enjoyable and rewarding. I love jumping with young jumpers.

Come on out sometime. Ask around for some guy named Robin. If I can't jump with ya (I have team training this weekend, but I'm free next weekend) I'll absolutely take the time to introduce you to folk that would love to make a few jumps with ya.

Who knows, we might even get you your SCR!:)
One other thing. If you do make it out sometime, I sure as hell wouldn't want you to comp my jump. Just help out another newbie someday.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

We all need to give something back. When I had less than 100 jumps more them one jumper burned a ticket jumping with me. Like you say, if you won't jump with them now in the future you might find yourself jumping solo.
Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm bound to cause some trouble by saying this,but why should you have to pay for someone's jump ticket to jump with them? How about "Hi, would you like to do a 2- or 3-way with me?" If you want some real coaching, then go to SDU. But SDU costs a load of money. Its great for learning new skills, but not cost-effective for practicing them. I say, don't be afraid to ask the up-jumpers. If the skygods and dz royalty don't have time for you, find a new (and more inclusive dz) to jump at.
Jay

If the skygods and dz
royalty don't have time for you, find a new (and more inclusive dz) to jump at.
Jay

Jay some of these "Gods and royalty" make a living out of skydiving.

I see no problem if they are asked to be paid for what they do.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm bound to cause some trouble by saying this,but why should you have to pay for someone's jump ticket to jump with them? How about "Hi, would you like to do a 2- or 3-way with me?" If you want some real coaching, then go to SDU. But SDU costs a load of money. Its great for learning new skills, but not cost-effective for practicing them. I say, don't be afraid to ask the up-jumpers. If the skygods and dz royalty don't have time for you, find a new (and more inclusive dz) to jump at.

Most (non professional) skydivers jump with their friends. If you want them to jump with you, it is up to you to be friendly. If you approach it with the attitude that they owe it to you to jump with you, you'll probably get a frosty reception.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Camps and tunnel time would probably not hurt a thing. I've never done either, and both would probably improve my skills.

But, I've been invited to participate in the biggest RW event in Norcal in a while. The 60 way sequential (calmate Perris peeps, this is big for Norcal ;)) which is a try-out for the 140 way sequential in the spring at Z hills.

Why?

Cause I bought a lot of coach jumps. Bought them until my ethical coach (thanks Hank) wouldn't take my money anymore cause he didn't think he could teach me much more. Plus we had a ton of fun jumping together.

Then I jumped as a filler for the local skygod until his regular crew showed up. Eventually he let me keep jumping with him when his hardcore group showed up cause I wasn't sucking.

It is an expensive, long haul. But the other 3 or 9 jumpers are spending money for jumps and pack jobs, and they want to turn points. You can't blame them. So make sacrifices while you are slowing them down. Buy beer. Shut up and listen. Show that you're listening by demonstrating techniques that have been explained to you. Most people like sharing something that they're good at. You need to earn people's patience. At least I did.

It's like an appreticeship. It's really worth it, but it is a journey.