first 3 way - matching fall rates - need advice please

Hi all, i did my first 3 way last weekend, it was fun even though it was a bit of a zoo ;)

Anyway what i was wondering was, when we finally leveled out, i could tell that our fall rates were mismatched (you know like how you can feel when someone is pulling you down on one side and someone is floating on you on the other?) - anyway i got that feeling when we were in a star - i felt like i was being pulled down by the guy on my left (WARP assist) and the guy on the right (WARP coach) was floating on him, leaving me wondering what to do to my fall rate to ensure upon release we wouldn't all ping off)

The end result was that when they released me and each other we immediately had separation of a good 10 ft between all 3 of us. The guy on my left who was sinking shot off somewhere and never made it back to formation while i popped up and floated above the WARP coach who was on my right. I came down to him and we ended up running the 3 way as a 2 way as the other guy was gone somewhere doing his own thing!

Anyhoo, what do i do in that situation to ensure that on release we dont sort of ping off in all directions? It was annoying because i could feel that when we were levelled out at the start of the jump by like 12k, we weren't matched and i knew something was going to happen along those lines upon release but didn't know what to do as i guess i assumed they would be matching each others fall rates and i would just have to worry about matching theirs.
Does this mean that my fall rate needs to be adjusted to the base (in this case my WARP instructor) and only the base, regarless of the other jumper(s) in the group? Or does it mean i should really be jumping with people of my own size/build/weight etc to minimise the need to alter fast/slow falls excessively during a jump, as both were bigger than me, the WARP assist especially so, probably a good 30+ pounds heavier, and 6" taller.

I guess this is something that comes with practice, and im generally competent at matching fall rates on a 2 way, even with someone who isnt my size/weight so i guess the extra person on this jump (who admitted he wasn't as current as he should have been to be a WARP assist) was the extenuating factor that caused the problem?

I know that the purpose of the base is to sit there and we come to him/her whatever, but what i guess im wondering is what to do when you have a floater and a sinker on either side pulling you in different directions. I guess stick with the instructor right? Any advice appreciated.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Any advice appreciated.

My rule is always to stay with the organizer - then the other guy gets the blame!:)
Seriously - you may want to do some no-contact jumps to get fall rate issues ironed out.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the low guy isn't too far gone it's probably easyest/safest to all go down to the low person.
But if you too where supposed to stick with a coach/organiser and he decides to just continue the dive without the 3d person it's also okay I gues (as long as the low person doesn't stay below you 2 untill opening time)

Had a fun 7 way, that built to a 5 way, which funneled due to a torpedo-docker and ended up with us 2 (the base) just running the 7 way points together untill it was pull-time...the others already tracked off at around 6000 ft because they didn't think they'd make it :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

If the low guy isn't too far gone it's probably easyest/safest to all go down to the low person.
But if you too where supposed to stick with a coach/organiser and he decides to just continue the dive without the 3d person it's also okay I gues (as long as the low person doesn't stay below you 2 untill opening time)

Had a fun 7 way, that built to a 5 way, which funneled due to a torpedo-docker and ended up with us 2 (the base) just running the 7 way points together untill it was pull-time...the others already tracked off at around 6000 ft because they didn't think they'd make it :)

All LOs that I've jumped with, no exceptions, say that if you can't make it in you should keep proximity with the formation as best you can and not track off early. Then everyone else knows where you are. This is very important on bigger formations.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why?

Seriously, why not make it a compromise? I'm talking on smaller stuff here...not 100-ways where two guys are low.

I've found it makes it a lot easier on the low person (and on the high people) to pick a spot in the middle and meet there. That way everyone does their own share of the work getting the formation back together.

I know conventional wisdom says go to the low person, but some very smart and accomplished skydivers taught me the compromise way, and it works.

In your case, Newbie, with your experience level, you probably did the right thing sticking with the coach. I would recommend also getting some coaching and doing some fall rate drills with a coach. Or hit the tunnel. I know, they can be "boring", but being able to control your fall rate will be one of the best skills you'll EVER learn and will help you learn everything else faster, as well.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Totally agree with BikerBabe. In a small group (ie 4 way) meet in the middle. However, with low time jumpers or people without high body flight skills meeting in the middle often results in people switching places (person who was low then floats) as they overshoot. Especially if you have a coach follow his/her lead. The coach is the person who will make better judgements and the person that you want to work with and the one you are paying. SO simple go to the coach.
Chris

I've found it makes it a lot easier on the low person (and on the high people) to pick a spot in the middle
and meet there. That way everyone does their own share of the work getting the formation back together.

This is what happens even with the go to the low guy plan...The low guy should be trying to get as much lift as possible. But it is MUCH easier to go to the low guy...You will almost always get the high people closing more of the distance.

As for smaller stuff....Go to the low guy...As for most things, stay with the Instructor/coach/organizer.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Make sure you have a plan before you exit in case something goes awry like it did with you...Ideally try and compensate in advance with lead/ slightly baggier clothing....anticipation is a handy skill to develop in regard to modifying fallrates.
E

The coach should just take hold of the student and fly him or her down to the lowman to maximze the effeciveness and learning for the jump IMHO ;):)
Oh yah, and learn to adjust your fall rate as greatly as you can, it will only come in handy in the future...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

...the others already tracked off at around 6000 ft because they didn't think they'd make it :)

One should always stay with skydive and try to get in until the very last moment of RW. Tracking off higher than pre-planned break off altitude is a very bad idea not only because you will probably be blamed by people you jump with for doing so, but also because it is unsafe.