AggieDave

RW Suit Questions

Yup, I'm actually buying a RW suit (scary, huh?)

Alright, I'm looking between Merlin, Tony Suit and Body Sport. Merlin and Tony Suit, I'm very familar with; however, I'm not very familar with Body Sport.

Since all in all, suits are generally created equally when it comes to usability and functionality, what have been people's experiences with Body Sport and the longevity of the suit? I've seen both Merlin's and Tony Suits last quite a while, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Since all in all, suits are generally created equally when it comes to usability and functionality, what have been people's experiences with Body Sport and the longevity of the suit? I've seen both Merlin's and Tony Suits last quite a while, though.

not true, there are differences in design that do make a difference. Merlin doesn't reinforce her knee seams, I have seen many suits destruct there. The zipper isn't the best either. Tony has had a hard time getting measurements right, and his bootie design isn't as good IMO as some of the others. there is a difference. I am not so familiar with body sport.

Look at Bev Suits as well. I've had 3 and loved all of them. I'm not fond of Merlin at all. It was a nice suit but several of the seams did not hold up and the zipper was a problem. Plus if you order a Merlin suit, be prepared to wait a year to get it and then 5 months just to get the booties replaced. :-) I sent my suit back in November to get them replaced, ordered a new Bev Suit in the beginning of January, got it at the end of January, and finally got my Merlin Suit back in March after several phone calls and 2 trips to Deland. I have no experience with the others though so I can't say much about them.

I absolutely love my Crater Suits from Body Sport! I have gray/turquoise one of all polycotton for use when doing "serious" RW, and one with a polycotton body and "fun fabric" on the arms and legs for doing fast RW and hybrids.

At one time I had a third, in all black. Why the fork I ever got a black suit while living in FL I have no idea. It is still being flown by a jumper in Nevada.

The suits are very well made and the wings are figured for your size and desired RW speed. I have been jumping them for 6 years now and have no qualms about them. Heck, my fast suit is a replacement for the one I had on when I bounced at Quincy! It survived that landing intact, and my friends got me out of it before the parameds could cut it off, but I really used the heck out of it and had to replace it.

The fit has been great from the get-go, just be sure to get measured properly (as SkyBytch has stated in another thread). They keep good records; when I ordered my second and later suits I just told them what color/style and they arrived pronto.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I have had a number of different suits over the years and the RW suit I currently have is a Body Sport Comp suit. I have been nothing but Happy with it. The turnaround was fast and when I got it I needed a couple of minor adjustments, most likely do to my measuring I talked with them, said waht the problem was and had it back in my hands with a perfect fit within a week. The workmanship is also top notch! BodySport has been around for awhile and they do good work. I have jumped some of the other suits mentioned and they are nice as well. The first Body Sport suit I jumped, a crater suit, worked for a number of years of jumping. Much to my suprise I found it again on the student rack of a local DZ and it is still chuggiing along. I think the Comp suit is a little nicer though, IMHO. Fire off an E-mail to BodySport, I am sure they will be happy to help out any way possible....

Hope that helps and good luck in getting a suit!
Scott C.

www.bodysportusa.com

Telephone Numbers:
Order Desk: (800) JUMPSUIT [586-7784]
Business Phone: (503) 285-5492
Fax: (503) 285-5494
Mailing and Shipping Address:
Body Sport USA
9549 North Todd Street
Portland, OR 97203
Email:
[email protected]
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I own a Pit Special Tony suit and recently purchased a Competition Bev suit. Although I haven't been able to fly the Bev suit yet, I am already liking it a lot more then Tony.
Tony--6-8 week delivery
Bev--3-4 weeks delivery
Tony--custom made and doesn't fit quite right, legs are too short, can't totally kneel all the way back, uncomfortable.
Bev--custom made and fits fantastic. Way comfortable.
Money difference--about $70.00 cheaper.
and that's my .02

~La La Gang Member #2~

I have got 2 Merlin Pro Comp suits (one for work and one for play)...both with 500 jumps on them...no problem. Amazing power in the booties. So much that you can feel your legs swing out under your canopy...awesome suits. They both look fine...no rips, tears or blow outs.

I was not at all happy with my Body Sport suit, which was measured by factory reps and required major alterations after they built it. It still isn't very good, but I use it anyway. There are a couple of other Body Sports on my DZ, and the owners are pleased though. After much research my next suit will be a Michigan.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Hey Brothers and Sisters,
You want to be careful when purchasing the Michigan suit. Me and my Buddy both bought comp suits. We sent in the measurements with a slight buffer, for the Va. winters. My suit was a little small and the nylon(for the front piece) he used was zero p fabric. I wore it in Florida in January and it was so hot I would sweat through it and it would stick to my skin. My buddy's suit was way loose and the booties sucked also (way too big) My booties were a little loose as well. We were bummed because we went so far as to send a shoe each so they would fit well. Mike also designed the booties to have a spandex strap to keep them tight to the bottom of your foot. I don't like that because at the end of your swoop you gotta slide a little. The strap made taking them off under canopy a bear!
The upside to this story was that I called Mike when Iwas down there and he took the time out to meet me in Flagler Beach and he took a few measurements and offered to make me a new suit at cost. ($150.00) with a polycotton front. He said
that he had to make a new suit. There was no refund offered but I understand that I got what I ordered. Just call him first if you want a nylon front and insure that he is not using that same material.
The suit he made for me has about 300 jumps on it and at least 8 hours in the wind cone at skyventure.
other than the bottom layer of the bootie everything is fine with the suit.
I know the opinion was unsolicited but I am a skydiver I had to pipe up;)
Good Luck
Mish
P.S I am not roasting Mike he was very cool and helpful

Just call him first if you want a nylon front and insure that he is not using that same material

Several manufacturers use zp nylon on the front of some of their "fast" suits - my JFTC suit from Flite Suit has a zp nylon front, and it is indeed a FAST suit. Adding lining to the inside of the front makes the suit more comfortable (i.e. won't stick to your skin when you're sweaty), but any suit with zp nylon is going to be a sweat suit in hot weather.

I own a Tony Pit Special, a Firefly RW suit and a Flite Suit. The Pit saw me through 700 jumps but never fit quite right and needed a new zipper twice. The Firefly is bombproof but wasn't made for me so it doesn't fit quite right, and they aren't making RW suits anymore. I only have 30-ish jumps on the Flite Suit; it fits great and other than one seam popping on the right shoulder it looks well made.

Dave, whatever suit you decide on, I highly recommend getting padded and cordura reinforced knees. When you're jumpmastering students out of that 182, you'll thank me for this advice... :ph34r:

When you're jumpmastering students out of that 182, you'll thank me for this advice...

That's why I'm getting a RW suit. I would have had my coach's rating done this past weekend, if the DZ hadn't been so god damned busy (not that that's a bad thing, mind you;)).

Thanks for the advice.

I've decided on Poly-Cotton (for added fall rate control), with Cordura knees, grippers on upper arms and on the outside of the legs and booties. I am NOT getting swoop cords (I been averaging 120 and getting down to 115 in a suit that should be a fast suit on me), especially since swoop cords are worthless once you learn to fly right (as told to me by my Skydive U. coach).B|

Any reason to get grippers on the inside of the legs? I don't compete 4-way or anything crazy like that, just some fun RW stuff at the DZ and such.

If Body Sports would ever e-mail me back, then I will probably end up buying from them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Any reason to get grippers on the inside of the legs?

They're nice for people docking on your legs, especially cat grips.

The real reason to get them is cuz they make you walk funny like those 4way guys and therefore you will look like a real skygod. All for about $15 extra. It's worth it. :ph34r:

Any reason to get grippers on the inside of the legs? I don't compete 4-way or anything crazy like that, just some fun RW stuff at the DZ and such.

If you are going all out with the suit, its worth it to get the inside knee grips. They are very useful for doing any type of RW even if you're not doing competitive 4way. Plus then if you decide to do a little 4way you will already have them. B|

Hi, I have a bodysport crater suite that has served me well as an up and coming jumper. It has swoop cords which I dont use and cordra on the ass which I do use. It tough as hell and washes up nice as there is lot's and lot's of mud here in Oregon. A friend who I went thru my training with recently bought a bodysport rw suite and it fits him like a glove, he's very pleased. hope this helps blue skies

Tony Suits....Never did fit me right...Its all I ever owned. Then the Army bought me a Michagan suit....I love it.

Michagan Suit...Fits great. I like my booties longer than most people. I called Mike, sent the suit down, and had it back in a week. Perfect fit! I have 300 jumps on it, and about 10 hrs in the tunnel on it. No problems at all. I just orderd a new one last night for my new team. I have no problem getting another Michagan, or recomending them to anyone. His suits are great, and they are stong...His service is fantastic!!!! I have seen him fly to Zhills to look at a persons suit.

Merlin....Uh, we were sponsored by them last year....It took 4 mths longer than we were told to get the suits. Then with about 4 tunnel hrs,and 30 jumps, the zippers on two of the teams suits had to be replaced. 3 of our team suits have ripped knee seams, The other guys suit ripped right up the ass seam. So 2 zippers, and ALL 4 SUITS WITH BAD SEAMS. OK, we are hard on suits....We called, as a sponsored team, and got blown off. Never gonna wear a Merlin again...and its a shame, it fit and flew well. But the endurance of the suit was sub par...And the service sucked. I will not wear one, and I will not recomend them to anyone.

Bev...I hear good things about them, and I was thinking of getting one this year. But the team got sponsorship from Michagan, and hell I love his suits. So I can only tell you that they look good.

Sorry don't know anything about Body Sport.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I keep hear a trend from Merlin Suits, here and at the DZ...

Its sad because Merlin suits are great suits. But like Ron said the seams and zippers don't hold up well. And the service is disgustingly terrible. Trust me, it is something you never want to have to deal with. I'm in the same boat as Ron. I will never wear another nor recommend them to anyone.

Hey Dave--

maybe consider a Michigan suit as well. i've flown his comp suit for a few years now (i have about 4 of them). i've got a shitload of hours in the tunnel with them as well, and they are durable. they have incredibly powerful booties. thing is, my suits are all Comp suits (Mike's competition line), so if you're not gonna go hard, maybe the regular RW suit will suffice for ya.
The booties on the comp suit have rubber soles...no shit. :) i just take the booties off under canopy, so the whole "landing wear and tear" excuse is out the window. :)
If you want to call him PM me for his number. Mike's been around for a LONG time and makes incredible suits: RW, VRW, tunnel.

BTW, i am not sponsored and i pay for my suits like everyone else. :)

arlo

I just got my new Merlin suit last thursday. It only took 3-4weeks for delivery. It flies great and the booties felt like afterburners for the first couple of jumps. I could not believe the difference from my Tony suit. You guys are starting to worry me though. I have put 10 jumps on it. I starting to wonder if in a couple of weeks it will fall apart. I do know it fits and flies great.