mischo

8 way otter exits

Hello DZ.Commers
I need some opinions on exits out of the otter. I would like some detailed bomb proof exit positions.
We have recently aquired an otter and you could fill a thimble with what I know about bigger exits.
I tried, in vain, to launch a stairstep (4 out and 4 in). Each attempt flailed. Any suggestions are welcome.
Peace out!
Mish

I can't give the detail but I can tell you that when I have done it it has been 3 in 5 out with a point and tail and then a chunk in the middle, divers facing down the hill floaters up the hill. It really peels off the plane not like a 4way.
If you really want the scoop try 8'99 airspeed's 8 way video.
Chris

5 out 3 in is most common. This is hard to explain in typing, but I'll try to reiterate what Chris Talbert (GK) did with us on Sunday. Insiders lead with left foot in a really relaxed stance (a change from the crouched down, scrunched in the door method!). I fly rear inside, I was told to almost aim my head through the floor of the plane. That slot needs to get out and down to help the last two floaters pull the chunk down. We were told that an ideal exit has the front floaters just stepping off the plane, not having to move "upwards" at all. As for grip management on exit I think that varies form team to team. I know as rear inside I take grips on the shoulders (grips not harness or chest strap) of the middle floater and second to last rear floater. center inside has one grip on my leg, etc down the line. Launching this way opens up very easily into most of the randoms.

of course, it would be worth a laugh to launch an 8 way cat out of the otter....

Otter chaos 101. Last season, I was in a Intermediate 8way team. It took us a little while to get the exit. There appear to be two main techniques [ forgetting about spoon! ] or ways about think about 8way exit “peel” and "drag” both use five out and three in.

nb: There are other 8way exits, such as the "spoon."

“peel” seems to be a newer technique and produces more robust exits but seems harder to learn. The main difference seems to be what the floaters do.

This is what my My team did:

Stack up is:
outside
rear rear, rear float, center, center, front front

inside
inside rear, center inside, inside front

The outside people must “pancake”, stand sideways. Otherwise they won't fit. This is a constant source of “discussion” during 8way debriefs. Always have the floaters take the inside bar if on an aircraft with an outside bar.

Rear rear:
Depends on Aircraft configuration. Most likely sharing camera step. Have ½ the arm grip of rear float. Get very low on exit then come back up the hill. Be prepared to let go if things get funky. 8Way produces “waves of joy” that will produce “floods of tears” in comp!

Rear:
You have legstrap or legrip of the center infront of you. Inside rear and rear rear have you arm grip. If the exit goes funky they might not let go as quick as you would like. Get low.

Outside Center:
Gives count, usually climbs out last. Right arm holding on to the inside bar. You have leg strap or legrip of center in front of you, you can assist them up on exit.

Outside center:
This is often seen as the hardest slot. Think about what you need to do so the piece is presented to the relative wind. You will need to help the point up – often a very physical move.

Front front:
“Jump higher” - I still hear. “Set a new world record for staying on an otter the longest.” What a shit position! Leave as late as you dare and jump as high as you can while you present. Often you will be a victim of less than perfect exit.

Inside Front:
If anyone buys it, it is you. Our inside front got thrown over the formation so many times she became known as the “vertical queen”. Left hand on leg strap of center inside, right hand on chest strap of front front. You will leave on the “GO” but it is critical you are not early. Often the other two in the plane won't leave you enough room. Go out and UP and help that front-front out as much as you can.

Center Inside
You have leg strap of inside center with left hand and arm grip of outside center. Get low on exit

Inside Rear (center)
left hand on lower portion of rear floats (rear rear will have top) arm grip, or chest strap (arm grip better). Right hand on arm of center (take before exit) which is outside aircraft. You can be on one knee if you like. Exit straight down, be [very] low on the formation. Some like to think “leave early”.

Although some coaches will have a fit, we choose to stagger the exit. From inside the aircraft you can see each floater let go the bar in turn.

If it isn't serious team stuff, often a 6way stairstep is used as it seems much easier and more robust. It took us about 40 attempts to get a real nice 8way exit. Also, I'm told that for big ways; A linked base will come off at a different angle and hose the divers. It will be quicker to free build a base. ??? I do 4 and 8way.

Enjoy your Otter, you lucky dog! Blues Benno

Thanks alot,
I am going to try that for sure. I thought about the 3 in and 5 out but didnt quite remember what rear rear was supposed to do. That and I am a vain sob and thought I could pull off some high speed manuvers;)
Hopefully next week I can write y'all back, telling you how great the exits went.
Mish

Here is a pic of a exit a few seconds off the plane. It may give a good idea of the positions of everybody on the plane if you just stuff everybody into the door. Sometimes a little Visual Aid helps. This is basically the positions that were described by btucker in a reply a few up from this one.

Photo is by Dave Hoyt by the way

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Exit Shot.jpg

Scotts photo tells it all. The main points are every one must present to the relative wind. so front up, rear down. It is easier for the rear to pull down. The rear can not be late leaving and the front can not be early. The inside must not be dragged out. They have to go to their places in the sky on go. Think of a sheet of plexeglass at a 45 dagree angle to the door. every one must go to their own place, so the whole peice gets air, and box it out. Good luck it is easy once you have it, right.:D

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...