curtismelaniej

Point move on 22's

Hey-- I'm flying point this year and am having difficulty with the up and over turning move thing for block 22. We're going to the tunnel in a couple weeks to bang out a bunch of stuff and I'll definitely see it there, but thought I'd shout out for some thoughts/opinions on what others think is the best way to look at/think about this particular move.
Thanks,
Mel B|

The block is all about the random. Take a shoulder and leg grip wide and don't crowd yourself. Build some height in the random, just buy having a wide grip in the center you will already be a little high. Basically it is a turn in place with the 3 way doing most of the work especially the center guy moving forward. There are a couple of ways to do the block.
1. Is with you going straight over the center
2. With you going over the wing.
Also I try to tell myself that the 3 way compressed isn't there and to only concerntrate on my move.
Also don't use the grips to lanch yourself over, be calm and relaxed not crowded and turn in place.
I also target a grip with one hand and present with the other at the close

I hoped this has helped out. Have fun in the tunnel. Unfurtunately here down under in Oz there are know such luxuries

ummmmm, in teh US last I checked block 22 was tee/chinese tee, block 17 is danish tee/murphy.....:)
Mel, target right next to the opposite "tee" person, it's your key for the beginning of the block, but be aware, that the block will close on the other person, not you, so you'll have to be ready to chase a bit anyway. the cat piece will turn over 270, but less than 360 typically. yours is a very patient move.

We turn 22 to the right, but the technique for the up and over move is the same. Build some altitude into the random at the top of the block, also give yourself a bit of a tug on the grips to get going forward over the point of the cat piece. How much you can tug will depend on the person you have grips on, however I find I can pull pretty hard since I am pulling him in the direction he is going anyway. Move forward over the point of the cat piece and look for a 3-way compressed picture between you, the tail of the cat and the other solo flyer. Keep in mind I get this by moving forward and not turning until I see it. Once you see this picture, turn keeping the cat piece in view over your "old" shoulder. This will help you maintain proximity. once you head switch find the point of the cat piece (which by now is probably at the 270 degree point) and put your grip in his hand. In my opinion this block requires a bit more work than most. There is a lot of movement and a lot too see during the turn. How far forward to move at first, how much turn to cut off, and the tendancies of the cat piece will all be better understood with a few jumps under your belt. Hope this helps some! Good luck!

Thanks for all the input guys!! That is just the kind of stuff I was looking for-- I will do it next time we triain this block and let you know how sweet I nailed it..... B| (Cookie, I haven't done 17's yet, so I will keep your stuff in mind too, thanks! ;))

Shit man!! been stuck in the Australian desert for the last 2 weeks and my brain has been fried. I got all excited when I saw the post re blocks. Unfortunately I haven't learnt the blocks by the number/letter etc. I'm glad GK4 sorted you out. Have fun with your 4 ways and GLF!!!

Cookie

Thanks for all the input guys!! That is just the kind of stuff I was looking for-- I will do it next time we triain this block and let you know how sweet I nailed it..... B| (Cookie, I haven't done 17's yet, so I will keep your stuff in mind too, thanks! ;))

we like to keep the fun in the back piece, so you 17's for you nazi voice>:)
can a guy get a fun 4way weekend going in socal if he were to visit?

Next weekend I'm in the TUNNEL. TMFG. Let's chat when I get back and we'll make some SoCal 4-way happen-- the weekend of April 5th is the SSL at Elsinore-- we're competing in that meet as a team, but maybe you could get some pick-up action going. Joe MFO might be up for a reunion.... :)

Next weekend I'm in the TUNNEL. TMFG. Let's chat when I get back and we'll make some SoCal 4-way happen-- the weekend of April 5th is the SSL at Elsinore-- we're competing in that meet as a team, but maybe you could get some pick-up action going. Joe MFO might be up for a reunion.... :)

hey, there's a couple excellent drills for the points move you can practice in the tunnel for 22. sidebody, hop to arm on the other side (just for a target) of the person you are hopping, a quick tug to help get you over. Who are you going with?

I think I may show up at Snore for that meet....

It's an NSL tunnel camp with a big West coast group-- Adrenaline, GT, and a bunch of newer skydivers from Elsinore. We're planning on doing 5 hours total as a team-- including 2-way, 3-way and 4-way. 22's are definitely something I will be working on in there. I plan on LOVING 6's by the time we head home too. :P I will gladly take any suggestions for more point tunnel drills-- even just in general. Thanks! :$

As for the April 5th meet-- you should DEFinitely come down-- bring some of your new Washington/Oregon peeps too. I KNOW there are some more 4-way junkies up there. Adrenaline is planning on competing in the meet at this point, but we may end up splitting up and doing a few newbie teams. We should get Joe MFO in on this convo-- did you know that he has a low-commitment team put together himself? He's jumping with 3 chicks! :oB| Not sure what their plans are yet though...

Ok-- this has nothing to do with the thread, but I'm testing to see if my pic comes up under my name.............

If so Stacy rocks!!! (If not, Stacy still rocks, and I'm a DFU.)