steve1

Being cut from a load!

"I definitely do..."

it might be question of taste, but whenever formation i track off i keep watching around me.
Let's say even on a 4way i try to keep my bigway skills (those very few) up-to-date. You know in Europe we do not have so often opportunity to jump biger way then 23. So flat long tracking is something i like to practice even after a 2way.

" It's not rocket science, it just takes a bit of practice. "

Exactly that is what i try to communicate :) as well.

"They are both RW but they're different animals."

yes.. but 4way and 100way funels for the same problems... not technical but mental... lack of focus, disciplines and nerves.

Otherwise i fully accept your points, blue skies

z

yes.. but 4way and 100way funels for the same problems... not technical but mental... lack of focus, disciplines and nerves.

z

100 way funnels are more interesting to watch - from the outside!;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

100 way funnels are more interesting to watch - from the outside!

And still more fun to watch them from the ground!!!!

More fun still to watch them from the ground standing near the bunker!!!

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Well, i have been in few 100+ funels. After everybody realized that no way to build not even the base...the motto was "track for your life". :) I have neved made so flat, so long, so agressive tracking.. and I have never pulled so low.

z

Since we are supposed to be talking about being cut from a load. I thought i should mention a little incident this weekend. A skydiver who has been around since the 70's, but does not have a lot of jumps, was diving on an 12 way. He landed flat on top of a jumper that was lurking in her slot, and had been there for a couple of seconds. After the jump he wanted to insest that she went under him. I watched as he closed hard and fast. If she had not been there he would have gone low. He did not veer or slow down. He did decide to take himself off the load. But never did understand, that he was out of control. We were not happy that he was not interested in the opinion of the other people on the load.[:/]

Picture by Corey Parker, Hey Joe where are you gooing? we can get one more point!:D

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

breakoff.jpg

Here's one for you,

There was this big way dive for a special occasion that everyone wanted on, but there were a limited number of slots due to the size of the plane. Knowing how important this occasion was, I opted to let the more experience people get on. Well, during the practice dives I filled in for those who couldn't make it due to work stuff. I made my slot every time.

So the big day arrives and they were doing two more practice dives starting at 6:00 am. Everyone was required to attend. I showed up to watch. One person in the dive didn't show, so I filled in for him, but was told I had his slot now. By the way, in the previous practice dives he never made it to his slot.

Once again I made my slot, but when we got down he had arrived and they put him back in and I got cut. Politics, pure politics.

I was hurt, but when the event came everyone made it in and it was beautiful.

Being cut sucks, but sometimes it's how it all comes together that counts.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

One of the responsibilities of a LO is to get a successful result. If someone is on a 20-way and messes it up, they say "Oh well, I tried my best." While I can empathize, the other 19 people on the load wanted to do more than one point and are disappointed because they paid good money to be on the load too.

If the LO does easy points, then the experienced group does not challenge their skills and they don't have fun. The best solution is to split the groups by experience and goals. It isn't easy to be the guy that gets cut.

Rather than being disappointed by being cut, be happy that you were selected to jump a slot during the tryouts. It shows that someone has confidence in you.

tee hee.

Well, you know what the problem is...it's all those different-colored jumpsuits! Sheesh, you big way people. How is the poor Knight supposed to know where to go when no one else is wearing a black suit?

Cut him some slack. He's not used to being blinded by wild and garish colors...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

You mean that jumpsuits come in colors besides black? [Shocked]

Yeah, blue!

and sometimes charcoal....

Not to mention my personal favorite, "at one time white"

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)