superstu

becoming aware

The last 20 to 30 jumps i've been doing all RW stuff and have definately improved, but I'm still not as aware as I would like to be, how can I improve this? by aware I mean I notice everybody in the formation but it's not crystal clear, I can't really focus on and see the eyes of the person mirroring me in the formation. So do I just need more jumps doing 2ways and 3ways to help this or will it just come with time?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

By practicing good eye contact you can really develop a way of communication with your mirror. At first it may be a little uncomfortable to stare at someone in the eyes for 60 seconds at a time, but after a while, it's amazing how you can really convey ideas.... Next time you're looking into your mirror's eyes, smile, see if he/she smiles back. That's a good way to start. If you're of both male, try to do this exercise ONLY in freefall, because being on the ground... staring at another man's eyes for 60 seconds.... and then smiling at him... may be taken the wrong way. :P

The last 20 to 30 jumps i've been doing all RW stuff and have definately improved, but I'm still not as aware as I would like to be, how can I improve this?

Just practise, practise, practise... It's nothing a few hours in freefall wont cure.;)

staring at another man's eyes for 60 seconds.... and then smiling at him... may be taken the wrong way.

:D:D

The more things are new to you, the harder it is to stay aware of little things. So more jumps is a huge part.

Think about when you started driving -- everything was new and unfamiliar, and figuring out what to do when you had to stop for a light involved a whole lot more active thought than it does now.

Same thing for skydiving; as pieces of it become more familiar, awareness of what sets one jump apart from the next gets easier.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

By practicing good eye contact you can really develop a way of communication with your mirror. At first it may be a little uncomfortable to stare at someone in the eyes for 60 seconds at a time, but after a while, it's amazing how you can really convey ideas.... Next time you're looking into your mirror's eyes, smile, see if he/she smiles back. That's a good way to start. If you're of both male, try to do this exercise ONLY in freefall, because being on the ground... staring at another man's eyes for 60 seconds.... and then smiling at him... may be taken the wrong way. :P

What? After holding his hand and leg in the dirt dive?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm no expert, but I think the awareness you want will come in time. When you are relatively new at something, as intense as skydiving, there is a brain overload and it is very difficult to be totally aware of all the things that are happening so fast. The awareness you want will probably come to you, as you get more jumps and learn to relax.

When I started riding broncs, (years ago) it was the same thing. In eight seconds time everything seemed a blurr and then it was over. Sometimes it was only a few seconds before I landed on my head. I couldn't recall much that had happened, not because I landed on my head, but because it all happened so fast and I was so psyched up. After a few years of this, things began to slow down considerably, and the awareness needed to make a good ride started to fall into place. In other words it was no longer such a brain overload. Steve1