superstu

how did you get involved...

I just gravitated together with other people who were similarly inclined. Start talking it up and you might be surprised at who else is interested. It is the best way to make skydives, improve your skills, and minimize hassles.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Kind of like finding a date, only better.

David, I say this with all due respect, but . . . you gotta get out more. ;)

Being on a 4-way team is more like being in a long-term relationship with 4 other people all at the same time. You had best work out all of the issues early on and have similar goals and compatable levels of commitment and resources (time and money) otherwise it's just not going to work out.

Of course, the only way to find out is to go on a lot of "dates" and jump with as many people as you can to find the right mix.

So, maybe you're right after all and it is kind of like dating, but a whole lot more intense in some ways and a whole lot -less- intense in others. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey Stu: I am going to have a camp for people that are looking for teams May 17-18 @ Skydive Oregon. Kurt Peterson should be back in the NW this summer and plans to coach / organize some teams at Eugene Skydives. If you just start telling people you want to do 4-way it will happen. The NW meet schedule will be posted on Skyleague.com in the very near future.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

My first team was a pick up team for fun. Eventually became four people interested in learning 4way basics, all of us had about 200 jumps at the time.

Anything I've been involved with after that has been combinations of knowing people, networking, and just plain being in the right place at the right time.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), networking has a lot to do with it.

Also, a little bit of luck and a good location help.

For example, I could never get a serious 4-way team (like the type I was/am looking for) together at home. My DZ is just too small, we only have a 182 that seats 4 people, we're the only DZ in the state, and most of the people in the area are not on the high end of the income scale. When I say "4-way", I think "blocks and randoms". When the folks at home hear "4-way", they think "horny gorilla!" ;) Which is completely fine...I have no problem with that, it's just not what I am looking for!

Because I was serious about it and committed, I decided that I would travel for training, preferably to Eloy. That's where I found other folks who were interested in a serious team/committment. Of course, I never would have met those folks if I hadn't started going to "4-way stuff" like skills camps and tunnel camps. This was the networking part.

Basicallly, if you are dedicated enough to spend the $$$ to go to camps, people realize that you're serious about competing, and things will start to happen. I'm not saying this is the only way, but it really helped me since I wasn't getting any "exposure" at home. Getting out and meeting like-minded people is essential!

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Get with Kurt Gaebel

WWW.skyleague.com

He has a "team network" listing...

But most of it has to do with being at a place that like minded people hang out at...

I moved from Memphis, TN. to Florida for that reason.

Then I goofed up and moved to Zhills, which has never been a "Team" DZ...Its for Freaks, and Fun. But there are good people there (Sally Hathaway, Bob Healy, and Steve Johnson) You just have to look for them.

Get some people at the DZ you are at and start doing 2 ways...Then when you get 2 more you have a team.

Good luck!

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Being on a 4-way team is more like being in a long-term relationship with 4 other people all at the same time.

Quade, can you please talk to my gf about this? She doesn't seem to like the idea.

Of course, the only way to find out is to go on a lot of "dates" and jump with as many people as you can to find the right mix.

That's what I keep telling her, but she insists that dinner and walks on the beach are not acceptable. :D

So, maybe you're right after all and it is kind of like dating, but a whole lot more intense in some ways and a whole lot -less- intense in others.

Again, that's what I tell her: "I have to be more intense with my [female] teammate!" Whuffos...!

We've been trying to work it out but, damn it's hard! She resents the time I spend with my team (jumping on the weekends, meeting or creeping during the week, social gatherings, etc.)

well, she'll either A) get used to it and enjoy the time you do have together. b) learn how to pack so as to help you and get to spend some time around the DZ or C) you won't be her Valentine for long....:)

Like darkwing said, let others know what your intentions are. That's how I started: letting other people know that I wanted to put together a team. For a couple of months, whenever they asked: so, how many people are on your team? I had to reply: 1 (me). Now, we finally have 4.

Here in GA we have a few of the experienced jumpers who have gotten together and organized several teams for this GSL season. The goal is to expose some of the newer jumpers to 4 way because we have really only had Nemesis and Mr. Pink active and competing for the past several years. These experienced jumpers are joining newer jumper in order to provide the guidance needed to allow more jumpers to learn the basics. I trust this will be a good learning experience for all of us involved. Hopefully it will also increase the opportunity for more people to become involved.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.