homer

moving sideways

I had a problem this weekend on a 4- way dosee doe. I had gotten flung from the formation and had a problem side sliding back into the formation. I ended up turning towards the formation and drove forwards using my legs.

My question is- How do you side slide back into a formation?

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I had a problem this weekend on a 4- way dosee doe. I had gotten flung from the formation and had a problem side sliding back into the formation. I ended up turning towards the formation and drove forwards using my legs.

My question is- How do you side slide back into a formation?

ummmmm. dont' get thrown away from it to begin with.;):)

Yeah if you could slide slide, you would not get thrown from the formation because you would slide back before you went away. try what Weid14 said. This technique is easy. but dont forget to use some of the opposite motion to stop, or you will be flung the other way. Good drill: from a 4-way star, drop grips. two lay base, other two, clones, side slide to a unipod looking piture., stop then slide the other way to another unipod picture, stop back to star. do not lead with head make knees stay in line. then other two do drill.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Yeah if you could slide slide, you would not get thrown from the formation because you would slide back before you went away. try what Weid14 said. This technique is easy. but dont forget to use some of the opposite motion to stop, or you will be flung the other way. Good drill: from a 4-way star, drop grips. two lay base, other two, clones, side slide to a unipod looking piture., stop then slide the other way to another unipod picture, stop back to star. do not lead with head make knees stay in line. then other two do drill.

Side sliding is a useful skill on bigger ways. Some 8 way and 16 way moves require a slide.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

side slide and other moves...

put a paper sheet on a table and lift any two neighboring corners and imagine that the sheet is your body in a freefall... you will understand where the sheet (your body) will move :) it is easy it is all about aerodynamics.

Thanks for the info I will have to try it. I would like to get it down before our boogie in two weeks.

Hey you, make sure you get it down before WCSR in April ;) Are you still going?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

>My question is- How do you side slide

The main surface you are presenting to the wind
is the rectangle from your shoulders to your pelvis,
plus maybe part of you thighs if you want to think
of it that way.

Tilting that rectangle causes horizontal sliding.

Stick your legs out, pick up the back end of the
rectangle, slide forwards.

Stick your arms over your head, pick up the front
end of the rectangle, slide backwards.

Stick an arm and a leg out on one side, pick up
that side of the rectangle, slide sideways.

Tilting that rectangle is one idea applied in several
directions.

You can stick arms and legs out or drop elbows
and knees down and so on in all sorts of combinations,
but tilting that rectangle is the main cause of horizontal
motion.

Skr

well, it works, but if you look at what happens if you tilt your body, you will also notice that you could be off level (all things being equal) at the end of the move. I am speaking from a competitive perspective here, so in that context, it is much more efficient to use arms, legs and some "body pitch", not less arms and legs with more body pitch.

If you want to see some beautiful, fast side-slides to dock, take a look at STL and/or Airspeed in the 2002 Nationals video from Omniskore, 10-way speed event, rounds 2, 5 and 6.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you want to see some beautiful, fast side-slides to dock, take a look at STL and/or Airspeed in the 2002 Nationals video from Omniskore, 10-way speed event, rounds 2, 5 and 6.

oh i believe that, and in this instance (i really need to get that DVD since I just got a DVD player so I could watch a short review of our season last year:)

>you could be off level (all things being equal) at the end of the move

Right. That explanation is the one I give to people
who have been given a technique (move your arms and
legs like this) and now need to think why that really works.

You use your whole body, fronts of thighs, insides of thighs,
elbows up and down, the curvature of your shoulder-chest-
stomach-pelvis and so on.

I think the flying between the points is way more fun and
interesting than the points, which, after all, were only put
there in the first place so judges would have something
concrete to count and measure.

That's kind of why I gave up on points as such and started
designing dives out of flying moves.

Go for the good stuff :-) :-)

Skr

When trying to fly sideways it is common that skydivers find themselves turning towards the formation. This is caused by bending and twisting you body towards the formation when you are trying to see keep your eyes on it. You twist your upper body to see and leave your lower body behind.

You have already received a lot of good advice on exactly what your body does when executing a sideways move. But in the air it is sometimes difficult to think about all of that without twisting your body into a pretzel.

Next time you have a sideways move try this.
-Keep your eyes on the formation by turning your head to see without twisting your torso.
-Keep your body straight and square.
-Roll your hips down in the direction you want to go. In the process of rolling your hips you will lower your knee towards your target while raising the other one.
-Think mostly about your hips and lower body. Most skydivers fly too much with their upper body and leave their ass behind. Fly from your hips.
-Your upper body will usually assume the correct position without having to put too much effort into it. The correct position in your upper body will be with your shoulder lowered in the direction you want to go.
-I think to fly with my torso like this. If you fly from your hips and shoulders the rest of your extremities will usually fall into place. They are an extension of your torso and if you lead with your torso they will follow.

Lastly, don't try to hard. Stay loose and relaxed in the air. When we think that something is hard we end up TRYING TO HARD.

Remember that when you finally get it right,
IT WILL FEEL EASY. Don't make it harder than it is.