steve1

Avoiding Brain Lock?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on avoiding brain lock. I know there are lot's of tricks to memorization. (I'm wondering if any of these can be applied to skydiving.) This can be a real problem in four and five way RW. I know you are supposed to go over and over things in the dirt dive and I try to visualize things on the climb to altitude, but we still mess up on occaision. Or I should say, I mess up. And then we get on the ground and someone dreams up a whole new dive plan to relearn. There must be some helpful hints to remembering. (Sometimes I miss the old days where all you had to do was look for something round and get in.) Steve1

The first step is in recognizing why you had a brain lock. The most common cause is "being over the line", or amped, or over aroused. Skydiving requires a calm mind. When you are calm, your awareness expands, you see more, and you remember more.

If you are only looking for grips to pick up, or to present to, you will not see the whole picture. When you brainlock, look to see what formation is being built bythose who are not brainlocking. If you see 3 people sitting in a donut, it is probably supposed to be a donut. By cross referencing, you can see the picture and respond.

Often people use the dirt diving process in the wrong way. It is not a time to perform, rather a time to build in muscle memory, pictures, and anticipation. When you are dirt diving, go through the skydive with pauses at each point. During that pause, anticipate the next point. See the next formation in your mind.

If you brainlock during the dirt dive, don't stop, deliver expletives and start over. You don't have the opportunity to do that in the air, why do it on the ground? Instead, calm your mind, look at the formation being built, See your slot, then respond by going to your slot. Then, anticipate the next formation, and go on.

I agree with the point of trying to analyze why you brain lock. The concept of working though the brainlock on the ground is good as well. However, be careful of focusing on the point that you brainlock. If you have a brainlock on the ground review the transition in your mind so that yuo can see it happeneing over a nd over again. But make sure that you also insert it back inot the dive flow. I often find that peope have a brain lock on the ground then do fine on that point in the air but either lock the one before or just after because they were focused on the the middle on.
Most often the brain lock occurs from poor distraction control or poor mental prep.

For mental prep visualize the transitions from both the on level view and the camera view. Visualize the other peoples move as well as your own. For the distraction control folow the Airspeed PEDL philosophy. Plan on the ground, execute in the air, debreif on the ground, then learn. If you try and debreif in the air mistakes happen. Fianlly don't get flustered if you are last into the formation. SOMEONE is always last even if it is just by a heartbeat. It is better to be last into the formation than to get flustered and mental try and play catch-up and then rush.
As you can tell I have brain locked quite a bit and thought about it a bunch.
Chris

all good responses, I might add that sometimes people may focus on the one thing they are worried about (i.e. dont' go low, turn right instead of left, etc). then when they get beyond that point, mentally they are lost. flow the whole dive, without stopping in one certain area.

Hi,

Reading these articles will help you as well:

Visualizing
in Airspeed Formation Skydiving Advanced Skills Camp Work Book
© 2001 – Airspeed
http://www.mariosantos.com/docs/visualizing.htm

Your Optimum Arousal Level
in TunnelCamp.com - Coaches Corner
© 2001 – Alan Metni, TunnelCamp.com
http://www.mariosantos.com/docs/your_optimum_arousal_level.htm

It's All in Your Head - a conversation with Craig Girard
in Parachutist, February 1999, pages 36-39, by Nancy J. Koreen
© 1999 – USPA Copyright

Blue Skies! B|

-----------------------------
Mario Santos
Portugal

yep, smart comments above mine :) i would like to say few additional but not technical things:

1. do not smoke during training jump. Nicotine predicts the blood to carry proper amount of oxygen to your brain
2. drink before the jump, your body needs water in order to act fast and precise
3. Do not eat too much :) your brain needs the blood not your stomach, but eat enough to support your brain with energy.
4. rest and enjoy the life before the jump, stress makes no good but brain lock
5. No arguing with team mates before jump, love your team it gives a lot energy to concentrate
6. In the plane do proper mental training with thinking the sequence very slow and very fast.
7. Do not train over your brain.

and the last and the worst :) knowing the formations by heart, knowing where you are knowing also the place of the other 3 is maybe the best against beginner's_4way_brainlock.

z

All good advice: 1) do your home work, know your A slots and use that continuity plan. (10 minutes before a skydive is not the time to learn a photon.)
2)Do a proper dirt dive. puzzle, angles, grips, keys, pauses, at speed.
3) don't get distracted in the plane. visualize.
4) Relax in the skydive. The Key person should know that everyone is ready to go, not just that a grip is complete.
5) Attend an Airspeed skills camp.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

All good advice: 1) do your home work, know your A slots and use that continuity plan. (10 minutes before a skydive is not the time to learn a photon.)
4) Relax in the skydive. The Key person should know that everyone is ready to go, not just that a grip is complete.

well, this degenerated into 4way (not that it's a bad thing), but (before Kallend gets in here:)

well, this degenerated into 4way (not that it's a bad thing), but (before Kallend gets in here:)

Hey - I've done 17 points on a 4-way :).
10-way is so relaxing in comparison.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

there is more to flying than 4way:P I suppose so. ANd when i LO i still try for A slots. I try to ask people to go to the slot they want and then build the next few jumps based on the preceding skydive. I still dirt dive and creep (Yes 20 way) untill i see the light come on in everyones eyes. Of course this pisses off those that hate dirt diving.

well we try, realistically only about 12-16 fit on our pad. But creeping ups your level of play. Often brain lock is a function of overload. So the more things that are familiar, (ie sight pictures, transitions), the easier it is to stay ahead of the power curve.B|

Of course this pisses off those that hate dirt diving.

Guess they're so good they don't need to anymore ;)

I like to dirt dive - exit to breakoff, angles, etc. - any RW jump. I don't mind creeping either. I fly my slot better when I've had the chance to break it down on the ground first. That's true whether it's a 2 way or a 100 way, or anything in between.

I like to dirt dive - exit to breakoff, angles, etc. - any RW jump.

I agree. And I even like to go through it kinda slow a couple of times. It gives me a chance to really visualize it, and imagine myself in the air doing it.

Maybe some people can remember all those formations in a hurry; not me!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well :) i have seen folks with locked brain in a 2 points 20 way dive...

And yeah, dirt dive is cool, nothing is as sexy as RW suit.

z

Oh Yeah! I've seen someone brain lock on a 1 point 10-way.

> I'm just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on avoiding brain lock.

I avoid it by designing dives that have simple,
repetitive dance patterns. I'd rather focus on
feeling the flying than remembering random
sequences of meaningless formations.

I further avoid it by not going on dives that other
people are organizing when I know they are going
to organize that kind of dive.

I don't enjoy the meaningless string of formations
form of activity so I just don't do it.

If I do organize a formation type jump it's more
like a drill dive, alternating donuts or whatever.

>Sometimes I miss the old days where all you had
>to do was look for something round and get in.

:-) :-)

I was thinking about that at Eloy this Christmas,
standing around watching the endless, elaborate
creeper diving, and the thought passed through my
head: "I'm a one point skydiver. This stuff is too
much like work!".

Maybe that's one reason I'm drawn to wing suits.
You don't have to do anything, you can just fly
around.

Skr

>

I was thinking about that at Eloy this Christmas,
standing around watching the endless, elaborate
creeper diving, and the thought passed through my
head: "I'm a one point skydiver. This stuff is too
much like work!".

You can come jump with our 10-way team any time you wish!

>You can come jump with our 10-way team

Thank you John, I'll take you up on that some time
if you guys have the patience for a nice, recreational
swoop, well savored, followed by a relaxing circle
of just hanging out, digging it.

You know, I really understand some people's need
for pushing and accomplishment and performance.

I just object when they and USPA act like that's what
skydiving is all about when it's really just one small
thread woven into a much bigger picture.

Recreational skydivers of the world unite! Or something.
Well, that sounds like a lot of work. Screw it. :-) :-)

Fortunately I have plenty of new jumpers to jump with.

Skr

One thing that helps me is to do at least one run through with suits on. If you are with a large group of people you don't know it is hard for me to remember and see what that person looks like after putting on the suit, helmet, etc. Craig did that with us in Eloy thankfully. I knew exactly which side of his a$$ I needed to be on and got there safely and efficiently every time. I could pick out that jumpsuit anywhere. Of course this won't work on a 4 way team with matching suits, sorry. Hopefully you'll know your 4 way team well enough not to need that extra visual. ;)

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.