superstu

working on RW by your self?

yes it is possible to practice formation skydive alone.. but i think it is prety useless to pay for your solo jumpticet :)

most of the RW is about looking, knowing and presenting. All these three you can practice with mental training. Looking and presenting you can practice by watching a lot jump video and of course you can learn the 4way/8way pictures. These all are essential if you want to be a good FS jumper.
What you do up there is the implementation the real work you will do onthe ground :)

Are there any drills or anything like that that I can work on if no one is doing RW when I go up?

RW by yourself? About as exciting as sex by yourself.

Practice tracking. Buy, borrow or steal a Pro-Track and see how slowly you can fall when tracking. Tracking is a survival skill you'll need to get on any big-ways. Make sure you coordinate with the others on the plane, though, so you don't track through their space.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

that's me on the left in the black shirt. i may have seen you there, it was a long rainy night. teh tequila came out early so everythign after 8 or so gets fuzzy.:S

That's for sure. I spent a while playing some kind of electronic trivial pursuit game before the beer haze got too thick.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are there any drills or anything like that that I can work on if no one is doing RW when I go up?

yes, stay on the ground, and do mental drills while your wallet gets a little fatter ;). then find someone else that is looking to do rw but nobody else is on the load and go some 2way.

Also, dont be afraid to ask. Many people will gladly jump with a newbie to have some fun instead of going head down. its a nice change.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Yes. I'll try to be more constructive than some posters...

exits: make sure you can present yourself to the relative wind from a variety of exit positions, and that you can present in a variety of attitudes--heading uphill, downhill, sideways...

Subterminal turns: after you present in the desired position, do a quick 360.

body position: experiment with body positions, especially mantis-like positions, and asymetrical postions. Look at some video and photos of good skydivers doing rw. Practice those positions and turns, slides, etc.

Tracking, as mentioned above.

It is still more fun to do rw with someone, but a crappy rw jump with a partner is probably less educational for you than a good, well planned and executed solo "rw".

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have a good body position drill that dosen't cost any money, easy to do with the help of the T.V/sofa and a pillow.
Generally good RW jumpers have excellent visualisation skills. They use these skills at best on the creepers before the next jump. Rearly are they thinking of there body position pryor to the next jump.
So to get yourself to a point where your don't have think about using your legs to move forwards can take many jumps and costs lots of money.
Here is my Body position trainer thats free of charge with know hidden extra's.
Get comfortable on the floor in your lounge room. Have the TV turn to your favourite show. Place a pillow under your chin (Dont go to sleep). Place your feet up on the lounge. See yourself in the box/mantis position and relax back to your TV show.
Here comes the important bit.
When the commercial break comes on it's time to go skydiving. Post right up on your pillow. Look over both shoulders and check out your feet and legs are looking.This is a good position for out facing formations where you need to see the guy behind you. Close your eyes and visualise as if from above you can see yourself in that perfect body position. When your favorite show comes back on relax back into the pillow and wait for the next ad break or skydive. An Ad break usually last for 90 seconds which is more than enough for a good skydive. Before you know you will own the mantis position, turn in place and face out like a demon.

Cookie

I definately agree that you should focus on quality over quantity in this case. Also mental practice and muscle memory...just make sure that if you are going to be practicing some muscle memory techniques that you are doing them right. A coach might help if you are at the DZ, but a mirror can help at home.

A fun kinda drill that you may want to do if you find yourself with no one to jump with is this. When you are in freefall, cross your arms across your chest (oposite hand on oposite shoulder). You are going to have to find yourself arching a bit more to keep you head high. Then go ahead and turn without using your arms. See what happens. This is a good drill to gain leg awareness for post AFF students...and just a fun thing to do.