Phlip

How can one be on a 'big' way?

Get over to one of the drop zones that is famous for doing big-ways and participate in a lot of their smaller stuff. Generally speaking, the big-way organizers will put together small things over the course of the year. If you can manage to get to their big-way "camps", listen, learn, perform well and remain safe, then you're probably well on your way to being invited to even cooler stuff.

HERE is some information from Kate and Tony on the subject of big-ways and how to get on them.

HERE is a link to the Airspeed Big Way Camps.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

To add to what Quade said. Big ways can be alot of fun but they can also be very scarey. Airspeed, Kate and Tony and i am sure several more organizers are great. Do camps and workshops with them and you will have a great and safe experience. Getting on the load with the local LO who has lessexperience or on a group with insufficient skills can be very scarey. From personal experience all of the Big ways I have done with the above people, Rodger Ponce and John Hammilton were well planned, fun and safe. I always had sufficient room to open and never felt in danger. The only other time I have been on a 20+ jump it scared me to death. It went to &&( and 2 people from the base and me and the other last diver ended in a 4-way, broke high and looked down and up to see the other 16 people not tracking, not on level. That was the most tense track I have been on since AFF.
Chris

The only other time I have been on a 20+ jump it scared me to death. It went to &&( and 2 people from the base and me and the other last diver ended in a 4-way, broke high and looked down and up to see the other 16 people not tracking, not on level. That was the most tense track I have been on since AFF.

Must've been at Perris! :o:D

Harsh man, harsh.
The -reality- is that any skydive at any drop zone with any load organizer -can- turn into a scary one. This isn't even big-way specific -- it can and does happen even in 4-way.
Ultimately you can only be responsible for yourself and fate is the hunter. Y'all be careful out there.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've done several of Kate and Tony's camps and also did the one they put on with Dan BC last year. Besides being awesome learning experiences, these type of camps are the best way to "be seen" and get your name known by the people who issue the invites for some of the really cool big stuff.

I know this is late notice, but for anyone in the SoCal area this weekend interested in attending a camp - Saturday and Sunday at Perris starting at 8:30 am both days Tony will be doing a mini-camp. Jump cost plus $15 a day for video, 4-5 jumps per day. He usually adds some of the local talent for the last jump of the day. Well worth the extra $ - you'll learn a lot in a good, safe atmosphere, and do some fun and challenging skydives. :)

Big way camp

Dan BC, Kate Cooper and Tony Domenico are doing another big way camp in Eloy this March. I went last year and can highly recommend it for anyone who even thinks they might want to do big ways. They teach everything you need to know to safely be a part of a 100+ way formation, and it is also an excellent opportunity to be "seen" by some of the top large formation organizers in the world.

Had I not done that camp I wouldn't have gotten a slot on the women's world record; I know a few others who would not have been on the 300way had they not attended last years camp. I certainly would not have been nearly as comfortable on the women's record attempt dives had I not already had the exposure to using oxygen and being in the air with that many people.

Big way camp

Dan BC, Kate Cooper and Tony Domenico are doing another big way camp in Eloy this March. I went last year and can highly recommend it for anyone who even thinks they might want to do big ways. They teach everything you need to know to safely be a part of a 100+ way formation, and it is also an excellent opportunity to be "seen" by some of the top large formation organizers in the world.

What about someone with very little experience or from another discipline? How would you recomend they approach this? How much 4-way, 8-way or other bellyflying milestones.
I personally know some guys doing 20 and 30 ways
for weekend joy, but I don't know what it takes to get there. Glen

Big way camp

What about someone with very little experience or from another discipline? How would you recomend they approach this? How much 4-way, 8-way or other bellyflying milestones.
I personally know some guys doing 20 and 30 ways
for weekend joy, but I don't know what it takes to get there. Glen

Being safe is what it takes. The surest way to be refused a slot is to have an unsafe reputation, and the quickest way to get cut from a big way is to do something unsafe.

The organizers I have jumped with have been generally pretty tolerant of errors that don't compromise safety, but very intolerant of unsafe behavior.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've found that as long as you are true to your skillset and willing to take advice, most big way organizers are willing to work with you. Heck, MadJohn flew let me in on some of the bigger ways back in the day at Lost Prarie even with a hundo jumps or so because he went up with me a few times on some 30+ ways and saw that I'm not in a huge hurry during any part of the dive. He did a heck of a lot for my confidence as well!

Good luck.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --