Squeak

to boot or not 2 boot

1st Rel suit.
Hi ppl, I looking at getting my 1st rel suit and was wonering what the gruop conscience is on boosters?
For someone learning to flat fly (just started my B Rels) is it better to learn without booties and then get them on an as need be basis?
Aslo without starting a brand war, what are the Rel suits most in use and what should be avoided?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

pros: faster, crisper turns and stops, added drag to slow you down a bit, much more leg power in your skydiving.

cons: cost, added drag could slow you down to much, if they are not designed/measured correctly they can be less effective. they can be a pain to walk around with.

if you are not used to booties they will surprise you at first and do take a little getting used to.

You don't want a bootie (booster -- whatever), that collapses against your leg in the air stream, it becomes ineffective. you want it to be a "sail" to catch air. best designs I've seen: Bev (FX mods), and Merlin (long delivery times) (her suits don't reinforce at the knee though, where the stiffener attaches, and can come apart there -- and do BTW), Tony makes a decent suit (hit and miss with measurements though), some people swear by Michigan also (I have not had much experience with them).

Whatever you do make sure you don't have one of those wussy zippers on the front and get cordora in all the high wear points. front material to help your fall rate (nylon to supplex)..

I would not recommend getting "puffy arms" get spandex forearms and if you need to slow down for a big way or something, get slip ons or chuck a tee-shirt on over your jumpsuit.

Thanks for the response
At the moment I'm told I have a slow to moderate fall rate, but since I'm 5'9" and 165lbs with a medium build, I suspect thats it's due to lack of good form and low jump numbers.
But you didnt really adress what I'm after, Are booties recomended for RW newbies and learners.
Given as you stated that they will slow you down a bit, if I'm already less than fast, do I not worry about booties and work on form and techique 1st or get booties and try and adjust even further. Just wondering what the general opion is.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I thin that the basic answer is going to lie in what you want to do. If you are doing Load Organized jumps or big ways, booties might not be necessary or wanted. Like Weird14 said they are like getting turbo on my legs. You get much more power in your movements. However, they are not necessary. If you plan on getting them later avoid the relearing and get them now.
While booties will slow you down usually a proper fitting suit will speed you up and the booties will just serve to give you more range. I think that they are a good idea and are a necessity if you plan to do competitive 4-way now.
Chris

if you are learning, and want them later, might as well learn from the beginning. You have to make up your own mind though as to whether you need them or not, I personally would get them, but then again, I like to turn points in 4 and 8 way.

I used to advocate that you should learn how to fly your body before your suit. Of course, I also made fun of the people who showed up with full face helmets and booties when they first emerged and now "I-R one". But seriously, rarely do "belly fliers" make a jump without a jumpsuit so why practice sometime like that?

If you are going to be doing horizontal RW then by all means get the booties. Start flying with them right away because they can make HRW moves crisper. I noticed you are in Australia but when you get the chance, bring your new suit (with booties) to a wind tunnel and you'll ramp up on your skills dramatically.

Once you log some time on your suit, go back and make a few no jumpsuit dives during the summer and you'll soon appreciate those booties!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

AZChallenger JFTC99/02 GOFAST300 STILLUV4WAY
"It's nothing 1000 jumps won't cure..."
- Jeff Gorlick, Seattle Sky Divers

Squeak,

I first started out not wearing booties however when I transitioned to them I did notice a significant change in my forward track. The only problem with them I had with them at first was when swooping into a formation I found that I had to slow down alot sooner than without booties. Took out a few formations before I figured that one out....a bit embarrassing too but luckily the good people at my DZ helped me out.

Chris
A-35040

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

I've flown with booties since my 7th jump (or so). Just love them. Buy with boosters if you're going to do a lot of RW, and you're putting down some cash for a suit.
They make all leg movements much more responsive. They may cause some bad habits, but bad habits can come without booties too.

Just what I think, but then again I've got sub 100 jumps and almost haven't jumped without.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Get a suit with them, after all if you don't want to use them yet you can tuck them away.

With B-rels you might want to think of not using them until after you have finished. That way you can do rel without them (and without the advantages that they provide). Learn the hard way, after that it will take you a couple of jumps to get used them.

You really get used to them very quick. To be honest I still find it funny swapping between my normal rel suit and flying camera (without boosters).
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

For what its worth, I have seen some places put booties on AFF students. I dont know if I would put booties on my students, but it has been done...with quite a bit of success, actually. But I have been jumping with booties since I got off AFF and I love em...way more power!

Start without them, learn to fly yourself before adding anything else. Try (weather permitting) shorts and t-shirt, this way you learn to fly, after that the proper jumpsuit with or without booties will probably enhance your capabilities.

Did you learn to drive with a stickshift before you went automatic?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For what its worth, I have seen some places put booties on AFF students.

No kidding? ...
--------
Any way... if you're still looking to purchase your suit. I'd go with weid14 on this one and learn with booties. I would guess that you'll use your suit more than you won't, so get the booties. The question of your fall rate should not be a factor in the decision for booties. You'll figure out fall rate soon enough.

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If you are looking to do relative work I would go for booties as soon as possible, learning to fly without them will put you into habits that you will later want to change.
Booties are good for 4-way as the majority of the flying is done with your legs leaving your upper body free to take grips and turn pieces, having booties helps to enphasize this.
Booties are good for big ways as you loose most of your upper body imput trying to keep hold of grips and you are always told to fly into the centre of the formation to help keep the tension down, having booties on helps you to do this, however, you have to remember that you will catch more air when you are doing this so weight or more weight might be req'd.
Learning to fly with booties and using your legs will help you loads in rel work, I would not be without mine, my body position changed loads when I got my first suit with mega booties, all of a sudden I was able to move forward without doing a small track and even managed to take weight off as I wasn't having to compensate for how much my legs were sticking out just to fall down the tube.

Favourite suits are Bev suits - well made, good fit and good customer service

Hope this helps! Have fun! All my jumps are relative work - mainly 4 way team jumps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start without them, learn to fly yourself before adding anything else. Try (weather permitting) shorts and t-shirt, this way you learn to fly, after that the proper jumpsuit with or without booties will probably enhance your capabilities.

I did. In the snow too! The hardest thing was to tell the driving instructor that I really didn't mean to drop the tranny and leave it in the driving course!!!!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

And old thread, but didn't want to waist a whole thread on a simple question.

This weekend I'm gonna (weather permitting) make my first jumps with booties.
I was curious to what other people did when they changed. Did you do a few solo's to learn how to use them, or did you just continue doing what you normaly do without any solo practice jumps?

and as for>

Yea...like 99% of all the other europeans..:)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think I did one solo, but that's only because I got to the DZ just in time to make a load.

I'd avoid doing anything where people will be pissed if you turn out not to be perfect; make it a fun jump with decent people. It's a difference, but not like downsizing your canopy severely.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was curious to what other people did when they changed. Did you do a few solo's to learn how to use them, or did you just continue doing what you normaly do without any solo practice jumps?

I did a six way. Blew the exit, but the rest of the jump went pretty well. I got the suit towards the end of the season last year, so every jump was precious.