homer

Tracking

I just put my legs out pointing my toes, arms about 6 inches from my side, roll my shoulders forwards a bit. that's all I do and I've been told I get loads of forward movement while still staying quite flat.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

Where are you looking forward or between your feet? I have been told to look forward and keep the same position as you mention. The other way is to bend slightly forward at the waist and look between your feet to watch the other jumpers with hands at the side and toes pointed down.

A problem I have is I always seem to have a turn. Is this due to a foot not being pointed strait. Is this turn also a clue that I am in fact getting forward speed.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Try this: As you are turning away from the formation, start de-arching through your hips. Do this BEFORE you bring your arms back and extend your legs, so you don't go into a dive. Once you're de-arched, bring your arms back, roll your shoulders forward, and press your feet and lower legs down against the air.

I look where I'm going or all around me for other jumpers, depending on the size of the formation.

Finally, I've learned that if I can feel air on my chest, I'm not de-arched enought through my chest and shoulders and my track isn't as flat as it could be. If I can't feel air on my chest, then I'm doing it right.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

You should be looking slightly forward. Your head acts like a front rudder so make sure that both eyes are looking at your target reference point.

A slight bend at the waist is good as is rolling the shoulders forward - I also rotate my hands 180 degrees so that they are facing upwards (like saluting your thighs).

If you are fishtailing it is probably that you haven't locked your knees out and really tensed your legs up straight. A track is a very rigid position and your whole body should snap into the position with all muscles remaining tense throughout the track.

Do this BEFORE you bring your arms back and extend your legs, so you don't go into a dive.

I have to disagree. You should develop forward speed BEFORE dearching. Using your legs only will prevent you from going into a dive. Dearching helps generate a little lift by creating an airfoil with your body. This 'airfoil' will only work if it is moving forward. Get some drive BEFORE dearching and you will find yourself out-tracking everyone on the dive.

Rock

I went on a tracking dive with a guy the other day who was having problems with his track. I noticed right away how relaxed his legs were. Once he really locked 'em he got a lot better.

Practice on the ground to get the mind-muscle feel of having your legs LOCKED at the knee and your body as flat as possible. Think "stiff as a board" It should feel like a very "tense" feeling. Not relaxed. Palms down right at your sides and shoulders rolled in as much as possible. I agree that you need some speed before your "airfoil" body will be able to generate lift and you will be able to track flatter and flatter the faster you're going.

This is just my opinion, but since I began doing what I've said my track is extremly faster and flatter. And of course you do have booties, right?

I'll throw my 2 cents in now.

The first thing I do on breakoff is start to cup air....I turn away while cupping. Alot of times this makes me the highest person already while I watch others try to track and start to dive. After I turn 180, I thenstick my legs all the way out and bring my arms in at the same time.

Here's the cool part. As I start moving I roll my shoulders (I already have most of this done due to the cupping) and push my arms down to about a 45 degree angle (again mostly already done from cupping)...

Now the ultra cool part. As I start moving I rotate my arms from palms down to Palms up....this really makes it easy to roll my shoulders...and I really start to smoke!!!

I learned this on a 110 way back in 97....I was on the outter ring, I had plenty of time to play with my track....I started tracking myself into a bad spot.

play with it

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Like many things in skydiving, I find things easier to learn when I break them down. This is what has worked best for me:
1. Legs out and pressing down.
2. De-arch. Thinking "stick your butt up in the air...stick your butt up in the air...you can track" [like the song but with "butt" instead of "hands" :S]. This seems to be the key and it takes abit of work at first to get into a body position that is the opposite to our good friend the arch.
3. Arms back to side of body.

Once you nail a good track you can sure feel it. I used to find that instability in a track was seemingly due to hurrying and throwing everything back at once without de-arching - the result was an unstable dive. When learning to track I would suggest doing things "slowly" and one at a time. Also, jump with a RW coach who can follow you into the track and then "get out of dodge" while you continue to track away.

"Sometimes you kick; sometimes you get kicked" - INXS

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.