Enrique

Center point turns

Humbling experience this weekend:

This weekend I found out that my 360's are not as hot as I thought! >:(

I turn by using my forearms (mantis) as I am concerned that if I dip a knee, my body will cup air and make me float.

360's to the left (dipping my right arm) were no problem, but 360's to the right really sucked! I always ended up a couple (1-2)of feet off my center.

Any pointers? Should I start planning a trip to the wind tunnel?

I found that while doing centre point turns I was slightly 'de-arching' when using knees but just remembering to 'arch' the hips now when turning seems to keep my fall rate the same...it is great to learn in the tunnel and very quick to break bad habits too.
If you are just turning with your arms, then you are not turning around the 'centre point' of your body, this is why they teach you to use legs/knees as well...

I found that while doing centre point turns I was slightly 'de-arching' when using knees but just remembering to 'arch' the hips now when turning seems to keep my fall rate the same...it is great to learn in the tunnel and very quick to break bad habits too.
If you are just turning with your arms, then you are not turning around the 'centre point' of your body, this is why they teach you to use legs/knees as well...

the de-arch is incredibly common -- the other thing is just use your arms, keep your shoulders square and rotate the arms in the shoulder joint (hips and shoulders (or chest if that helps) stay in the same horizontal plane and shouldn't rotate)

Nacmac sneaks into the RW forum...

In my previous life as a belly flier, before I discovered the joys of 3 dimensional flying....

When I was learning CP turns, I got someone to lay base, and another to film. It took a couple of jumps like this with a sympathetic coach to nail them.

The secret of cp turns is to have balanced input from teh upper and lower body, without this you will not turn around your CP. too much leg input and you turn around your head / upper torso. Too much arm input and you turn about your thighs etc....

Until you see what you are doing wrong on film, you are wasting your jump money. A coach and a camera flier will save you money in the long run, and it helps to avoid bad habits.

If you are stuck for money, get a chum to lay base, and alternate with him but deffo get them filmed.

Nacmac sneaks back to the Freefly forum....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson