dterrick

Physics of Terminal Velocity question

To get my B CoP (CSPA) I needed to demonstrate swooping to a formation (Coach 2) with a 1-2 second delay. This I have done and (as you all know) have found a 2 second delay swoop takes a long time to dock. Once, though, I broke at the waist and went virtually headdown :) but it ATE the altitude up like nothing.

Can anyone quantify (in English) the physics of swooping before we reach TV? I understand it's a drag vs. "1G" gravity thing but I'm wondering about the ramp-up effect while accelerating to "normal" TV120. Does it still take 12 seconds and 1483 ft (for eg) to reach TVheaddown? At 6 seconds of headdown are you at 1/2 TVhd? Would you also be at 1/2(1483 ft) as well?

In a C-182 DZ we only get 9,000 ft to play with. Altitude awareness (and gear issues) notwithstanding I'd also like an idea what kind of fun (or trouble) I could get into with freestyle/freefly and I think some physics would help me.

Anyone feeling Brainy?

the Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

I believe, in English, you are falling at 32 feet per second - squared; per second falling until you reach terminal. Hence in 12 seconds you fall about 1483 feet. If you have access to a pro track read out, it displays you fall graphically, although not 100 per cent accurately.

x = 1/2 a t^2

x=distance covered
a=acceleration
t=time

a is determined by the difference between gravity and drag. If gravity = drag, then a=0 (TV). When you change your body position, you change your coefficient of drag, which changes your acceleration.

EDITED TO ADD:

Your velocity at a point in time is determined by the product of acceleration and time. So to answer your question in two parts:

1. In a vacuum, yes. After 6 seconds of freefall, your velocity will be half ow what it would be after 12 seconds of freefall.

2. As a practical matter, no. The above only holds true in a vacuum. Drag is a function of velocity, so as your speed picks up, your drag picks up also, such that you actually approach terminal velocity slowly. In the equation above, think of a going down over time slowly until it reaches 0 as you reach terminal. Drag increases with the square of velocity, so you are accelerating much more (your vertical speed is changing more per unit time) early in your freefall.

BMcD

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

To get my B CoP (CSPA) I needed to demonstrate swooping to a formation (Coach 2) with a 1-2 second delay. This I have done and (as you all know) have found a 2 second delay swoop takes a long time to dock. Once, though, I broke at the waist and went virtually headdown :) but it ATE the altitude up like nothing.

Can anyone quantify (in English) the physics of swooping before we reach TV? I understand it's a drag vs. "1G" gravity thing but I'm wondering about the ramp-up effect while accelerating to "normal" TV120. Does it still take 12 seconds and 1483 ft (for eg) to reach TVheaddown? At 6 seconds of headdown are you at 1/2 TVhd? Would you also be at 1/2(1483 ft) as well?

In a C-182 DZ we only get 9,000 ft to play with. Altitude awareness (and gear issues) notwithstanding I'd also like an idea what kind of fun (or trouble) I could get into with freestyle/freefly and I think some physics would help me.

Anyone feeling Brainy?

the Dave

Go to

www.iit.edu/~kallend/skydive/

and download the freefall separation program. Although meant to illustrate separation, it also models the entire freefall including acceleration, TV, etc.

for speed skydiving body position (head down, arms tight next to the body, legs straigt,
toes pointed) which could be considered as ultimate swoop :), there is no terminal velocity
for regular altitude exits B|

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum