coho21

How do you know...

If you are the one sliding all over the place or it is the other person in a 2-way. (I apologize for the length)

Here's my problem. I'm a low time jumper and am really trying to build my RW skills. I am trying to get out and participate in as many 2-ways as I can and I have mainly been flying with other low time jumpers. What has been happening is that once we separate from the exit and try and turn points one of us (or both) started to side slip all over the place. When we got down he thought it was me and I thought it was him (more likely both).

So we tried to get one person to fall straight down the tube. We tried this with the other jumper maintaining a heading first but it didn't work too well. The sideslip orbiting thing agian. Then I tried to fall straight down the tube and this worked great.

I'm not exactly sure who was doing what but I kept trying to pick a heading (relative to a landmark or a road) and just stay there. When I thought I was doing this great the other jumper kept orbiting around me. (again on the ground both thought it was the other person)

Aside from video does anyone have any suggestions how to figure out if it's me boggling up the whole jump or how I can fix it?[:/]

J
YSD#0009

That's a tough one, but have you tried planning a skydive where you both just get head to head and hover no contact? Don't try to turn points, just concentrate on deep and steady eye contact and staying perfectly still in front of each other. You may be able to figure out if it's you or your friend who are moving and not able to just remain still and stable. Try hand docks, then hover, then hand docks then hover.

Doesn't sound like an exciting skydive, but it's a great drill.

That may help Identify some problem areas. Video would be a great tool too.

I know when I was just getting back into the sport after a twenty year lay off, I made a lot of jumps (often just two ways) with other low time jumpers. Some of these jumps were down right crappy because the other guy was sliding all over the place. But I wasn't sure. Was it him or me who was sliding. When I jumped with more experienced jumpers we turned points with no problem. So I figured out it wasn't me. Try jumping with someone who has more experience. That jumper can also watch you and explain to you what you did wrong if it is your fault. Steve1

Ok this is similar to what I have done. But what, if anything, do you tell the other jumper when they think it's you?

Personally, I just want to make the jumps go well and learn as much as possible. I'm also very open to criticism if it's warranted. However, I don't have as many jumps as some of these people and I don't know how to broach the subject. Any advice?:S

J
YSD#0009

Well, adding a third person for a drill dive would help see which two were flying together and maybe give you a little back up to confront your friend.

Have you flat out said "I was chasing you" or "lets both try a little more legs out on this next one".

Maybe a different dive would help. There's some good two way drill dives in the RW forum-look at older topics.

>If you are the one sliding all over the place or it is the other person
> in a 2-way.

Turn 90 degrees to the other jumper. Backsliding is common, but an uncontrolled sideslide is unusual. That gives you a reference in at least one axis (his left/right axis.)

Hi,

To solve this problem you do not need coach. You just need to understand few things.

Imagine that you are jumping out a two way with a hand grip... you release the grips and one of you turns a bit on a way that his/her leg slides to clockwise... what you do automaticaly is to do the same move to be again in front of your pair... so you end up in a nice curving :)

The solution is that you both agree which one of you is facing the sun and the other one is facing off the sun. then there is reference for both of you. better not to choose a refenrce pont on the ground since looking to the ground makes you floating, The sun is just the best.

z