riddler

Eye Contact (reposted from S&T froum)

I often do two or three way linked exits. For some reason, I have the habit of maintaining eye contact on exit, and I don't think it's a bad thing. But I do have a few friends that I jump with that stare at the ground during exit, and I find myself with the top of their helmet in my face.

I don't know if it's better on a linked exit to look at each other or the ground. I think I'm in that habit from RW. My friends say that they are spotting the runway, and eye contact is not needed, since we're linked.

Anyone have an opinion on this? Which is better?

>I don't know if it's better on a linked exit to look at each other or the
>ground. I think I'm in that habit from RW.

You are absolutely right to maintain eye contact with others on the skydive. Eye contact is one of the most basic things in FS.

>My friends say that they are
> spotting the runway,

But why on earth?? You should have spotted before you left the aircraft, there isn't much you can do about it after exit now is there?:)
>and eye contact is not needed, since we're linked.

Eye contact during a formation skydive is the one thing that keeps you relative to each other. When you look at the other jumpers, you can always tell where they are(duh...). Especially right after exit it's important to keep eye contact and fly relative to the formation. If you're not looking at the others you're more than likely to funnel the exit. This is especially true on 4-way and bigger linked exits.

And now, since I'm drinking and posting, I'm going to let others fill in the blanks before the need arises for me to insert my foot in my mouth. I'm going to sleep. Good night...;)

Erno

Eye contact is very very important during the entire skydive.

Practice this in the dirt dive too, because "if you do it on the ground, you'll do it in the air".

Tell your buddies to maintain eye contact for you, even if they don't think it's necessary for them. I'd bet money you'll have better exits if you do.

I find it Odd that your post in Safety and Training got more responses than this post in Relative Work (even after it was suggested that you would get more answers here).

Im wondering if we aren't helping people enough in this forum. You got some good replies on the S&T forum though. Hope all was helpful.

>I find it Odd that your post in Safety and Training got more responses than
>this post in Relative Work (even after it was suggested that you would get
>more answers here).

Likewise... Being the one that suggested reposting here, I actually I felt a bit embarrassed with the lack of replies here...:$

>Im wondering if we aren't helping people enough in this forum.

I haven't seen any question here go unanswered. Most questions have received good answers, maybe not too many, but good ones.

I guess it's just that more people read the S&T-forum than this one...

Erno

>Don't try it if you're on the outer wacker of a big way - you're just
> supposed to see butts.

Generally bellies, actually, if the big-way has the issue that most do (floaty wackers.) But I use the term "eye contact" to mean that _you_ make visual contact with something else; that something else doesn't necessarily have to be looking at you.

>Don't try it if you're on the outer wacker of a big way - you're just
> supposed to see butts.

Generally bellies, actually, if the big-way has the issue that most do (floaty wackers.) But I use the term "eye contact" to mean that _you_ make visual contact with something else; that something else doesn't necessarily have to be looking at you.

Bill, were you on the 120 way sequential attempts at Cross Keys?

From what I hear, they could have done with some floaty wackers who could deal with the floaty base...