skybytch

Experienced belly flier?

Remember when you had a freshly inked A license? Remember the people who paid their own jump tickets and went up to do two ways with you, even though they could have been off doing much cooler skydives?

It's time to pay it back. Do it this weekend - before, after or in between the cool jumps you're doing with your friends.

Walk up to the guy/girl with the fresh A license on your dz, and ask him/her to jump with you. Take them up on a two way and work on basic belly flying skills - fall rate control, 90 degree turns, docking, tracking, etc. Emphasize how much fun this is; smile at them in freefall, sneak in a kiss pass, make faces at them. Pay for your slot.

When you're back on the ground, give the newbie a good debrief. Keep it positive. Make a point of finding at least one thing they did right on the skydive and commenting on it. Offer to jump with them again; if you're too busy to go again the same day, grab one of your friends and have them do the same thing you did.

I'm tired of watching new jumpers go off to the dark side without ever giving RW a chance. It's up to us, the experienced belly fliers, to show them just how fun RW can be. They aren't going to get good at this doing solos.

I'm challenging you to give back. Do it this weekend. Then come back here on Monday and post about how much fun it was.

skybytch
Man I wish I would be in Perris this weekend as I am one of those new "A" License newbies and would love to try some RW with you. But I guess I'll just have to hang at my DZ and hope for the best.
PS: I did attempt to do a 2-way on my 2nd jump as an "A" License holder with a really cute but small girl who was visiting my home DZ (Longmont, CO) from the Marana DZ in Arizona for the day. But we didn't fair so well what with our huge weight differences and my relative inexperience. But if she's out there in DropZone land surfing this site. Thanks for the jump (oh god I wish I could remember her name right now, though it is written down in my log book). I really appreciated the effort she made jumping with me. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Thanks!
We inexperienced new A license people appreciate the help.
Personally I will remember and one day when I'm the "experienced" one - i'll be reciprocating, TOO!
I've been lucky - the experienced jumpers at my DZ have already done that for my wife and I. (Thanks Jeff & Annika, and Gregg!) Luckily they enjoy teaching newbies. I'm a challenge for them!
They went with us to WFFC and helped me get with the program. (Wife didn't have enough jumps to participate this year.)
I even get a skydive right every now and then.
Always willing to learn B|

Brian

Great post Lisa! While I was at Perris I overheard Michele and Jack discussing this very thing and they are going to have a weekend every month where "mentors" jump with the newbies. I think a lot of dropzones should follow suit. I was luck in the fact that the dz I jumped at when I first started already had this in place. Roy Torgierson and his brother Terry are awesome for doing that!:)

This last weekend at Couchfreaks we jumped with a Skychick with 37 jumps. She was soooo appreciative and kept thanking us over and over and over again--, like it was the most amazing thing that we were jumping with her and kept inviting her on our Skydives.

I finally told her , that I was skydiving too and it's wasn't like a favor or anything, just a skydive.

Its amazing and a cool feeling how much people appreciate being invited if they have low jump numbers, and it's such a simple thing , to me.

Good debriefs are the real key and actually the thing that they look most forward to. They love it and appreciate it.

Hoping I can jump with Insanedaddy this weekend or next.

A very good point Lisa. I'm grateful to all the people who helped me on the way up. And it's time that more of us gave something back. Many times the people who are sky gods won't even talk to a newbie let alone jump with them. Even a few words of encouragement go a long way to help someone. Boogies are another place where people with few jumps get passed over in a hurry by nearly everyone. So if you are a newbie, hang in there. Someday things will be different. In the meantime more of us should be doing more to make them feel welcome and offer them the help they need. Steve1

Good Post.
I do this on a consistant basis, as everyone should, because I do remember those that jumped with me. I make it a point to tell my AFF students to grab me once they're off student status and if I'm not busy (which seems to be more common nowadays [unsure]) I'm game for some jumps.
On the flip side, those of you who are 'new', don't be afraid to go up and ASK if someone wants to do a skydive with ya. Regardless if you've never seen them or they are the high timers at your DZ. At the worst, they can say "NO F^*&in way". Lot's of times they'll say "Sure". And if they say they can't, don't take it personally, they may have already committed to something else, or just not feel like jumping now. Ask again some other time, unless you KNOW they just don't like you. In which case continue to ask just to bug em. ;)
Added Bonus: Jumping/coaching with those of fewer jumps not only helps them out, but also improves your flying and teaching abilities.
And I'm going to add 1 more thing - If you see a jumper who is obviously visiting the DZ standing there just looking around, be sure to go up and say "Hi" and if they've got nothing going, try to get em someone to jump with. I always try to see what disipline and then introduce them to the appropriate person to get them in a group.
gotta get back to work. !
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

Yes, very true. Take time out to jump with anyone less experienced. There are lots of jumpers in the middle range, not quite ready to move on to the "experienced group" but wanting to do something more challenging than the "newbie" group has to offer.

If you are one of those "15 years in the sport, 5000 jumps, likes to do really hot 10-20 ways", have you noticed that your group is getting smaller and the skydives aren't quite as hot as they used to be??? Maybe you could use some new blood! Don't ignore or dismiss potential new "recruits", and don't forget where you came from.:)

<>

I'm tired of watching new jumpers go off to the dark side without ever giving RW a chance.

Come to me my children. I want you all. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :S

Seriously though. I try to encourage people to do RW for at least the first hundred jumps or so. If they like RW, cool. If they wanna do freefly, that's cool too. In those first hundred jumps you learn a lot about body awareness and working the relative wind. Cause & effect stuff. That knowledge will serve you well no matter what discipline you take up. I'm convinced I learned freefly faster having done RW for about 100 jumps or so.

That said, always try to jump at least once a day with one of the noobies. I remember how I felt when I was just starting out and how much I appreciated it when the better jumpers would jump with me (like Paula & Mikey). It was nice to have a success and get some good feedback. It's nice to now be able to give some of that back.

I like jumping with noobies. I love seeing the smiles on their faces. Plus it helps me with my skills. I really gotta fly my butt off to stay with someone who's corking & sliding & then dropping like a rock. It's challenging.

You can learn something from anyone... even if they aren't intentionally teaching you. If you aren't, then you aren't trying hard enough.

<>

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Sometimes I think us newbies have more fun because we haven't gotten dead serious yet. (Ok, not neccesary true as some stay fun jumper forever :)
Personally I'm a karate trainer and coach beginners once a week. I do it for free because it's fun. I love seeing the progress the students make in just 6 months.
-fudd

[I'm tired of watching new jumpers go off to the dark side without ever giving RW a chance.
Maybe the dark side isn't sooooo dark after all! We must have a lot more love to share. Why just this last sunday while going up on a solo Fast free fly ( something you can't do in RW) I picked up a curious stray, oh and where were you then*.
Oh and you should see their log book entries after they get touched by the darkside." Dear diary I have been awakened by something amazing deep inside". hell, we the deciples of the dark even shared a hybrid co-mingling with some of the belly brethern. I would even fly with you even if I have to dress skinny suit big helmet no prob, just ask linda I was there, where were you*.
I agree the walls have to come down......Glen.
* I know what you did last Sunday.

>It's time to pay it back.

I try to set a week a year aside to do that. Usually it's at the WFFC, where new jumpers come to our tent and need help transitioning to the bigger DZ and want to make some RW jumps. Sometimes it's at a local DZ where I'll put a camp together or something.

One thing that I should mention - there's an old saying that the best way to learn something is to teach it, and there's nothing like teaching (for example) slow falling to learn how to fall slow. Anyone can teach - even if you only have 200 jumps and can barely do an 8-way, there are people with 30 jumps who could use someone to do a 2 or 3 way with.

I am lucky enough to have made friends with alot of people most of them through this site that are waiting for me to get my license taken care of so they can jump with me. I am gonna go down to Otay in the morning and do a few hop-n-pops and get the accuracy part of it taken care of and then take that rig and learn to pack. I am sick of being ground bound at the dz.com events. Lisa you gotta teach me how to dive like that!! :o;)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

there weren't too many newbies around the DZ on saturday. a group of regulars were jumping otgether doing from 4-8 ways depending on who was around. a newer jumper was looking for people to jump with so we invited him into our group. at that point it was a 6 way. all our dives were pretty much just fun, freeflown exits into easy first points, no big deal. the look on teh newbies face when we invited him was teh biggest smile. he not only learned what to do on a freeflown exit (kept wanting to take grips), but learned a little more about flying with others. while he went low and didn't make it into the 6way, that really didn't matter. very heads up about keeping us in sight, being safe in the air, and now is a lot more aware of what to do in the air with others. Showed him some things abotu exiting that may help him out, and explained the hugging the beach abll, don't look up/look to the side concept. he was really grateful for us inviting him and all helpful criticism.

Sometimes I think us newbies have more fun because we haven't gotten dead serious yet.

I gave up being "dead serious" over a decade ago and now am in it solely for personal satisfaction as far as relative work goes. I have always instructed and given back to the new faces in hopes of keeping the dropzone busy, fun, and safe. Around here, it's very common to see world champions jumping with young club jumpers on their days off just for shits and grins.

Spend a little time working with or coaching newer jumpers, and maybe, just maybe you might get some benefits from it too!

Not just maybe,...absolutely. Just last weekend I did some "practice coach jumps" with a guy learning headdown- I learned about the strengths and weaknesses in my coaching style, about how to fly even more aggressively while still "getting the shot" so they can get even more feedback in the air, even though they're flying all over the sky, about how to talk about the positive things before giving constructive criticism..
It's a challenge too. it's like...rover..go get it! rowff! and you go and you try and stay with them. That's totally a flying workout for anyone.
cheers and free beers,
"Spread your legs and fly"

Good words for everyone. Often, a license is not an indication of quality. A license reflects number of jumps and filling a form. Skydiving is great fun, but always more fun with someone. When I first started, I was elated to be invited on anything and learned from all jumps. Then, began lots of solo on my belly. Got bored. Tried the dark side. People then offered to help/coach, jump free fly and I learned a lot. Now, looking back = I try to always say an encouraging word to the first time tandem person. Build them up, and encourage them. I look for the solo jumper and ask to jump with them either RW or sit. It is all about fun, and what is more fun then freely giving back what others before us gave to us? The look of acceptance and accomplishment on the newer jumper is reward enough. Sometimes when people freely jumped with me and helped me, I would secretly go to manifest and pay for one of their jumps. Then I could see them smile. Thanks to all that helped me, it is never forgotten. Stay Safe . . . . Bill

I'm glad I saw this. I was doing solos because I was downsizing in stages; by the last jump, I was getting more comfortable. So there I was, going out with a guy who's the current president of the college I founded (mphty-mph) years ago. Very young and fresh-faced.
He asked me what I was doing, I said solo and dumping at 55. He asked me how many jumps I had, and when I told him he said 'well then I won't ask you to jump with me." That's a really pitiful statement on how low-timers are treated. We had a great jump flying close, closing, and maintaining altitude (he falls like a feather). It shouldn't be that hard, y'know?
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)