Viking

Whats the best way to track like a bat outa hell?

I was just wondering how you guys track. I go from an arch, bring my elbows back to my ribs and slowly extend my legs out and point my toes. After i know i have a little forward movment going i role my shoulders forward and cup air with the rest of my body. After a couple second of that my jumpsuit is flapping so fast it stings. Now my main question is do you tuck your chin in or do you stick it and present the bottom of your throat to the wind?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

I tuck my chin, like to see the earth while tracking.
I extend my legs, then bring my elbows back and role the shoulders forward to de arch the chest and cup air. 5 second track is what I usually do, everytime we do break up at 4k and I dun wanna open low.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Here's my Fat Boys tricks...

(I dont think you're big Viking... but in any event, here goes)...

Commun mistake some people make is to go to a max track position too quickly. This will usually result in a steep track. In my experience, what works best is:

1- As you turn off for break off, start de-arching

2- When you have your 180 deg from center heading, roll your sholders down to de-arch not only from your hips, but also from thorax

3- As you roll your shoulders, bring your arms to a cross position, fully extented, slightly below your body

4- As you extend your arms, also fully extend your legs, in a fluid control motion (basically, 2-3 and 4 happen together) keeping them slightly appart (less then shoulder width)

this should give you a very flat, fairly fast track. To get the max speed, then you need to

5- Point your toes, bring your legs together

6- bring you arms along your body, palms down, arms slightly below the body, keeping that thorax/hip de-harch

And yes, teaching tracking over posts is not ideal... get some tips in person from a coach that has large formation experience.
Remster

Vicking, I re-read you post and I've got this to add...

I go from an arch, bring my elbows back to my ribs and slowly extend my legs out and point my toes.

If you start your track this way, you start with a delta, not a flat track. hence the speed you feel is in good proportion a vertical speed. You must de arch from the start.
Remster

Now my main question is do you tuck your chin in or do you stick it and present the bottom of your throat to the wind?

I personally tuck my chin, this way it's easy to see the others tracking between your legs. Don't know if this gives better speed, but it sure is easy to see the other guys.
For the rest I'd go with previous replies, try all of it out and devellop your own technique from there on.
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

Well since I got the comment again this weekend that my track was the best the person had ever seen, and I almost tracked myself to a bad spot I figure I can definately comment on this one. B|

What I did to learn to track was lay on the ground on my stomach. I'd look to the horizon (how else are you going to be sure you are tracking strait?) press my shoulders down to the ground and press down with my hands and feet, tightening up my stomach muscles which curled my spine up making sure that my hips and stomach were slightly off the ground. Did that over and over until it was muscle memory. Then after having that nice and stable in the air I started including shrugging my shoulders up to my ears. Let's see my feet are about 6 inches apart and my hands are about 4 inches from my hips. As for where I hold my head it isn't with my chin in my chest, but more in line with my spine allowing me to look down and also forward. You see I never have to look between my feet at people, because they are always much lower than me.
Fly it like you stole it!

i am gonna try that on my next jump thanx for the tips guys i will report back after next weekend.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

like they said let me add that when you get de-arch right you'll start seeing everyone opening below you. I have just started getting the hang of it and last weekend I watched the three people on my side of the formation just fall away at breakoff (thats what it seemed like) I tracked for five seconds and checked alti I was at 3700 and everyone was opening well below me it was sweet now to work on the distance