steve1

Swoop Cords

Some of the jumpers I know have swoop cords on the inside of their arms. I was just wondering what other jumpers think of these. I can see how they might have definite advantages if you are going low, but I have also heard they might cause problems in doing 4-way. I was curious to hear what others think. Thanks, Steve

They are mostly used, and are useful for big ways or casual RW.
They are really good if you are swooping down to your slot and over amp it a little bit and need some extra brakes, to stop you going low...
They work fine, but there's nothing quite like getting a suit that matches the fall rate of your team mates for serious RW.
Very few people use them on comp. style RW suits....By the time you get that serious, they are little or no use to you, as fall rate issues should have been resolved a long time ago.
Dress for success should be the watch words here.
I have swoop cords on my freefly suit, they were fitted so I could slow down to a comfortable range when filming tandems....
Oh - oh, I'm in the RW forum, better skip back over to the dark side.....:)Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

Competition RW and 4-way are not the only kind of formation skydiving. They are really useful for the divers in 10-way speed, and in big ways if you want to get there fast and then stop quickly. Has nothing to do with matching fall rates, and everything to do with ability to decelerate FAST.
If you have them and don't want to use them, just tuck them up your sleeves.

that is correct, 4way, 8 way, 16 way, etc way for competitors, if you are going low, the others need to put on weight! to much drag on the front of you (i.e. arms and upper boddy) can cause issues when reaching for grips and in transitions. This doesn't apply to a dive to a stop to a formation and break off type of skydive, there the fall rate versatility may outweigh any other issues. You can buy slip -on sleeves, too, that add drag and help if you need to slow down a little on a bigger way dive.

<<to much drag on the front of you (i.e. arms and upper boddy) can cause issues when reaching for grips and in
transitions. This doesn't apply to a dive to a stop to a formation and break off type of skydive, there the fall rate
versatility may outweigh any other issues. You can buy slip -on sleeves, too, that add drag and help if you need to slow
down a little on a bigger way dive.>>>
Sleeves add drag at all times. Swoop cords only add drag when you stretch both arms out. If properly adjusted, swoop cords add tremendously to your speed range.