scottbre

RW formation diagrams

Does anyone know of good websites that have diagrams of different RW formations along with their names? The bigger the selection the better, but I just haven't been able to find anything very useful along this line.
Thanks in advance. :)I live on the wrong coast.

Well, I have to say perhaps only because it's not official in any way shape or form.
I wish the USPA would just turn over all RW to the Wagners, but that ain't going to happen any more than the other alternative of handing it over to Kurt Gaebel. So, as long as the USPA is in charge of RW, then ya gotta go to the source for all the "official" information (even if t1 and t2 do mirror it on their site).
quade
http://futurecam.com

"So, as long as the USPA is in charge of RW"
You gotta forgive Johnny foreigner here, but isn't the FAI / IPC 'in charge' of this.
I was under the impression that the various national organisations govern their sports internally, but will generally comply with FAI / IPC over things like pool / rule changes etc.
I may be wrong as I have failing (nevertheless pleasant :)But I agree, Kurt, and the Wagners would be great at managing this.
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

You gotta forgive Johnny foreigner here, but isn't the FAI / IPC 'in charge' of this.

Well, yes, at the international level you're absolutely correct, but there are changes in the rules from country to country depending on various factors. For instance according to the FAI / IPC video cameras are PAL, but that just isn't the way it's done here in the U.S. unless it's for a World Meet or World Air Games.
Beyond that, in the U.S. we have at least one RW competition that isn't even covered by the FAI / IPC -- 10-way.
So, yes, I was being a bit, um, parochial in my comments, but the original poster is from the U.S.
Please forgive me.
quade

"Please forgive me."
I don't see any need to forgive you, we are just discussing things...
So....Does Kurt run the FSL, TSL meets on an unnofficial basis, or are they 'officially' sanctioned by the USPA type of thing?
I'm thinking along the lines of video type meets for freeflying, similar to the 'unofficial' TSL and FSL style comps, mebbe even running video meets for FFers back in the UK next year....
Cya
D
Gravity Rat # 37
Remember, we can do everything right, and still get hurt.

No, Kurt and the NSL are entirely separate from the USPA. In fact, he has a couple of competition classes that don't match up with the USPA competition classes, so I'm not exactly sure what purpose they serve other than just getting more people competing and handing out more medals. In general though, the NSL follows the USPA rules, which as previously mentioned, are adapted from the FAI / IPC rules.
I think that any type of meet a good idea, but ultimately for it to be meaningful, I think they should build toward some year-end championship goal. I think it would be great if the NSL meets qualified teams for the Nationals, but since the two have nothing to do with one another . . . that ain't going to happen soon.
An artistic (FF, SS, ect.) video meet would be a cool thing, but obviously you then have to give compulsory rounds or something otherwise you'd end up with folks cheating by showing off a tape made two months ago during a practice session. Heck, even with compulsory rounds it would be sketchy.
quade

Hi,
I'll take the opportunity to advertise my web site and my 4-Way team's Web page (Matrix FS).
Have a look at:
http://www.mariosantos.com/uk_us/matrix.htm
... and the information you are looking for is at:
http://www.mariosantos.com/uk_us/continuity.htm
... and from there follow the links (every Random and Block with the most used combinations)...
There is also a series of Formation Skydiving related articles, with a lot of Airspeed influence.
Hope this suits your request!
Blue Skies!
Mario Santos
Matrix FS (Portugal)

I think that any type of meet a good idea, but ultimately for it to be meaningful, I think they should build toward some year-end championship goal. I think it would be great if the NSL meets qualified teams for the Nationals

I believe that this is Kurt's ultimate goal. To replace USPA's format with his own, including league competitions to qualify for our U.S. Nationals and the progession to International competitions.
Go to the NSL web site and click on the World League tab to review Kurt's vision.
ltdiver

2nd edition "Freefalling Together" 1
has 2 way to 20 way (Editions Para-Graphe 1992)
I have found it very useful over the years.
I miss RW formations--big time--but I keep dreaming!
Play alot in Flash, so working on graphic animation of some dives and canopy flight.
http://members.shaw.ca/idgraphics/pinwheel.html
If you link to this page- (52-way pinwheel in production...) scroll down abit- and wait to watch dive from begining- It is a puzzel to me yet and I will complete it eventually with flight path of divers docking- including break off and tracking.
Freefly page has some basic animation of graphics also.
Smiles

Nearly all of the replies have related to COMPETITION RW formations. The question didn't limit it to competition. There's a lot more
to FS (RW) than competition. I have been on some really neat 9 ways and 15 ways and 21 ways, for example, and you won't find them on Omniskore or in the USPA Competition Manual.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but where do the players go from there? Do they get picked to represent the U.S. in international competition? To me it's all too messy.

Hey Paul: I was surfing some old posts. The USPA puts on ONE rw meet a year. and they are rained out ever 3rd or so year. The Nsl is organizing 4-6 meets in 20 or so regions. Not every one is sponsored or can afford to travel internationaly or even to the other side of the country to do some meets. WIth the NSL meet draw friday night it seems like you are competing with the other teams across the country. Much fun.B| PS your web site rules;)

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Well, I'll agree that Kurt and the NSL have done soem pretty wonderful stuff. However, I do not like the idea of the selection for U.S. representation to world meets being hijacked from the founding organization.
What I would propose -- well, what I would propose would probably get laughed off the planet, but anyway . . . you get the idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hey Brother,
Though I am not a guru of FS, I have found the Motion coach program very helpful, you can get it through omniskore. That in conjunction with Airspeed 99, GK 2002, Marios' web site, countless hours of studying, you should get fairly comfortable with the dive pool. I know that some of the blocks have changed, as well as some of the randoms, but it helps a whole lot better than the very sterile diagrams that the IPC puts out. I do not think thats all you need but it is a start. Nothing can replace a good human coach.
Good Luck,
Mish
P.S. Airspeeds CD ROM is also awesome.
If there are any I left out I am sure someone will waste no time in correcting me.

Hey Brother,
Though I am not a guru of FS, I have found the Motion coach program very helpful, you can get it through omniskore. That in conjunction with Airspeed 99, GK 2002, Marios' web site, countless hours of studying, you should get fairly comfortable with the dive pool. I know that some of the blocks have changed, as well as some of the randoms, but it helps a whole lot better than the very sterile diagrams that the IPC puts out. I do not think thats all you need but it is a start. Nothing can replace a good human coach.
Good Luck,
Mish
P.S. Airspeeds CD ROM is also awesome.
If there are any I left out I am sure someone will waste no time in correcting me.

If I recall correctly, Freefalling Together, which is what he asked about, has rather more in it than just the IPC dive pool.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.