thierry338

French Tunnel 4-way competitor's dream.

A Skydiving wind tunnel has been built near Paris, France.
I was in there with my 4-way team for 15 * 2.5 min = 37.5 minutes on Sunday. All four of us flew at the same time. There is enough space to do all random 5 point skydives as one would in the sky. Our team flew the blocks 5,6,7,9,17 quite naturally. The blocks 2,3,11,12,14,16 can also be flown, but we had to use less space than in the sky -- probably a good thing, as I expect smaller distances should eventually lead to faster execution times. At our level (11.9 ave last competition), the blocks that require high tunnel awareness were hard. Either they work, or they do not complete, the confined space giving only limited possibility to recover from bad trajectories.
It is 4.3 to 4.9 meters wide and fast enough for competition FS suits. At full speed my back hurt. There is a more narrow zone under the part where we do RW that I am told is fast enough to free fly in, but I have not seen it in use.
It should open full time in September 2002.