ChromeBoy

RW Mind Set

Don't forget "post dive", where you get the axe if your execution wasn't perfect :-)

Seeing the smiliey I know you're kidding. MOST people see "the axe" as a last resort and giving it is actually more of a sign of poor coaching than poor performance.
Most good coaches try to not focus on the negative. There my be a few things to work on, but that's hardly the same as "the axe."
quade
http://futurecam.com

Dirt Dive, Plane Ride, Plane Separation, Execution, Break Off, Deployment, and Landing.

This is a trick question. A lot of things are involved. For me this weekend, I was on a, 10 way, an organized load where I was the lowtimer (well, I think TG was on it) and I recognize this as maybe not the "perfect" but close enough to it as I've seen.
Dirt Dive: We dirt dived with jumpsuits (of course), walked through the puzzle of the jump about 4 times. Then we talked "about the dive" the jobs of each moving jumper, the common mistakes...etc. At that point, we built the first point then lined up the exit based on the line of flight. By this point, we are on about a 5 minute call, we geared up and met at the mock up. We did a full climb out and count then walked through the skydive with rigs. The we did an additional full climbout and count again. At this point, we lined up at the mock up in the order we would exit the plane, then just walked towards the plan in that exact order.
Plan Ride: In the plane it was quit. Eyes closed, relaxing. Arms moving in grip positions. It wasn't an easy puzzle. So you could tell everyone was concentrating. At about 10,000 we started checking pins, adjusting helmets, did a team count twice then on Door, facemasks went down and we started the climb out.
Plane Separation : We had low ground wind but strange uppers. We had a lot of Freefly solos' so we were asking for at least 6 seconds. RW groups take at least that long to line up in the door. We told the freefly solo's 6-10 would even better.
Execution: The Exit went exactly like we had practiced it. Launched a perfect chunk (modified stairstep for you lingo guru's) and transitioned on the hill to the first point (a bi-pole with outside donuts and a block thrown in there somewhere , but that's not important right now ;) I think we turned 6 points. We stayed level, everyone "flew their slot" (as I say), we only had a few minor ripples or fallrate issues that were worth stabling out before the key. It was a smooth and challenging dive.
Breakoff: Breakoff was clean, good separation everyone with a flatter faster track than mine :( left me plenty of room.
Deployment: I had a 180 off heading, but I blame myself, I stuffed it in the bag pretty sloppy (damn Stilletto). But there was still plenty of separation with a full load of 12 behind us and my group of 10.
Landings were great on Sunday, wind was faily steady, there was a very distinct left hand pattern established which made it very easy to pick a great spot to "put her down".
Debrief: All positive, all good jobs, high fives and kisses for the ladies to everyone on the load in the packing room.
..and the best compliment for me... "wanna go again?"
Told you this would take some thought, but after all, a nearly perfect dive for me was one this weekend.
Fly Your Slot !

I am not sure exactly what the question is. If it was the end of a long work day and I had time for a quick fun load the following would be my ideal / favorite jump.....
Dirt Dive - Quick with lots of hootin and hollerin
Plane Ride - Relaxed with lot's of smiles and light conversation and more seriousness as jump run approaches
Plane Seperation - ?(exit?)? Smooth duh;)
Right hand donut, 540, Left hand donut, Bipole, 540, Bipole........(my favorite throw together four way)
Execution - Slow is smooth and smooth is fast...........
Break off - 3,500 approx.
Deployment - 2,500 approx
Landing - All phatty swoops stopping within 5 feet of eachother..........
Beer:thirty:)SEBAZZ.......

Some of the best coaching I've seen was where the coach may point out something you may of done wrong, but by the time he was done discussing it with you, you feel like he was praising you. I know it's textbook critiquing - mention something good, mention the flaw and how to crrect it, then mention something else they did well - but seeing it executed this well is a sight to behold.

Grumpy Smurf,
It's too bad there aren't more leaders who can give constructive criticism like that. Most people in leadership positions could learn from this. I'm just wondering what it feels like to be given the axe for the next load. I don't think I could handle this very well. I jumped with a guy who probably should have been given the axe, over Christmas. He was very low time and fell base. He floated way too much on every jump and was ruining everything for everyone else. So I can see the reasoning behind dropping people on bigger loads, but I would hate to be the one telling people to get off a load. Or I'd have trouble taking the news that I was the one who messed up and to go sit on the bench. It would take all the fun out of the sport. Steve

quote].. .but I would hate to be the one telling people to get off a load. Or I'd have trouble taking the news that I was the one who messed up and to go sit on the bench.
I think this is a common misconception regarding getting 'CUT'. You can't look at it that way.
How about instead of "guess I fucked up.." you think of it like "I was lucky I got to go, and someone else should have the same chance as I did"...
Usually you are NOT cut to make the skydive smaller (for example, it was an 8 way now it's a 7..) usually you are not invited on the next load and someone is invited to take your slot. Like rotating.
Think of it more a a "spread the love" concept of that invitation-and loose the "being a teachers pet and getting on every load" goal.

Regarding breaking the news...no one has ever walked up to me in the packing room and said "you sucked, your cut.." The LO walks around with a list, if he asks you , then you answer, if he doesn't , you find another load. I can FIND a load, then feel lucky that I got got invited last time. Not disappointed that I didn't get invited back....it's all relative!
Fly Your Slot !