weid14

comp classes

I thought I start a new thread -- UPSA/NSL/Collegiates etc competition classes.
I agree that Kurt probably has 1 to many classes -- IMO it should be similar in structure to the USPA. Actaully, taking out the rookie class I think would make it close (although AA doesn't use the full dive pool I don't think). The biggest season meet (FSL meet 3) didn't have full participation in all the classes, he may need to re-think the split. I do agree with his idea of giving people new to 4way a chance to taste competition and not be overwhelmed with the dive pool (Piver/viper - what's a PIVER anyway?)
I think the USPA made a large mistake in using the full dive pool for intermediate, which they rectified. As far as open/advanced. I would suggest a rule change that only allows non-"proffesionals" to compete in advanced. They are wel known and easy to identify, so no one could really sandbag that easily anyway. my $.02
Dave
JetStream - Inside center

Good point about the advanced/open distinction, but how would the USPA define "professional?" Would there be a committee that decides? What would the definition be? Is it a professional skydiver? (e.g. Tandem instructor). A professional 4-way skydiver? (does this include 4-way coaches??) What if I get free jumps from the DZ, but don't get paid anything additional. Am I a professional?
I agree some method of restriction might be helpful, but it seems anything but giving the team the choice (like is the case now) would be hard to manage.
I believe the the current rule only limits the classes to non-medal-holding teams. That I agree with at the least. (e.g. Teiwaz shouldn't sit in Advanced, in order to collect medals year after year).

25% of your team can hold a gold medal in that class for you to participate. I say bring on Tiewaz, let them defend thier title - as long as they are not a full time 4way professional team (or have a member that is). I suppose that would rule them out though, too -- cause Kurt is a full time 4way professional :).

Well, seeing how I have never competed, but I've "thrown together" a team (with others who have never competed) for some Colorado meets, and possibly Nationals, I was terrified at the prospect of not only trying to practice ALL the blocks, much less succeed at actually doing them.
I'm glad USPA changed the intermediate class back. Until they did, we weren't even going to consider going to Nationals.
As for the NSL, the meets I'll be going to in the CSL and possibly the SSL won't have the rookie or AA class, anyway. Both are still just doing Open and Intermediate. So I guess it's really up to the local leagues to decide on a class structure, and the NSL's "official" one doesn't mean too much to me.
But from reading the class structure, I am sort of confused by it. What is the difference between A and AA? Between Rookie and A? Those are rhetorical questions, but the distinctions are blurry.
For example, I have 400 jumps, as do 2 other of my team members, and the 4th has 1600. We've never competed, but I would feel strange competing in the rookie class. How does a new team decide which class they would compete in?

I'm glad USPA changed the intermediate class back. Until they did, we weren't even going to consider going to Nationals.

That was 'someone's' intent. To keep the 4-way competition numbers to a minimum and not tax this year's National's dz with too many teams. Seems that the fear of a weather day (with as many teams as showed up to Eloy last year attending) would have made for a bad outcome. They wanted to discourage the weekend teams, that didn't feel they could learn the entire dive pool, from the event.
Very glad USPA decided to re-think their options.

To keep the 4-way competition numbers to a minimum and not tax this year's National's dz with too many teams.

See, to me this is just silly. If he didn't think he could handle the event at its current attendence levels, then why did he bid on it to begin with?
That would make as much sense as holding the WFFC at . . . Buckeye. :)Now don't get me wrong. Just because Buckeye can't host the WFFC doesn't make them an unworthy dropzone. All it means is that they're an inappropriate choice for that particular event.
I can't wait to see the weather. I've been told that it'll be ok, but then again I've also been told that we should be prepared for wind and cloud jumping. As in, "yeah, you're going to have to punch clouds." WHAT?!? For Nationals competition? Really? Even if it means we don't see the points? Really?
Anyway, we'll see.
quade
http://futurecam.com

That would make as much sense as holding the WFFC at . . . Buckeye. :)

LMAO!! I can just see all the people running through the desert, damning the sand and the cactus! ;)

I've also been told that we should be prepared for wind and cloud jumping. As in, "yeah, you're going to have to punch clouds."

Well, that'll be "nice" to show our FAA buddies how our Nationals went this year!

well, the rules say no can see the points, no get credit for points (one reason camera is important and should be considered part of the team and it's performance). and the rules also say the team does not have to leave the aircraft if there is weather -- allowed a go around, then a plane ride down. ahhhh the days of Sebastian nationals.....

well, the rules say . . .

No joke! And the camera flyer is the only one that gets to make that determination -- so, I'm not really certain what the person that was suggesting this was thinking.
Once the team enters the plane, they're supposed to get out. However, remember this as a "get out of jail free card", if the team doesn't want to jump, for any reason, it was the camera flyers call due to weather/fogging/moisture.
At least, that's how it used to be in the previous USPA Competition manual. We'll see what the new one brings.
quade
http://futurecam.com