rmcvey

tracking

Horizontal Tracking taken from The Body Pilot by Carl Nelson, Jr.
To avoid canopy entanglement, two or more Body Pilots must separate horizontally before deploying their parachutes. Horizontal airspeeds of approximately 60 mph can be attained in the max track position. Downwind tracking creates ground movement similar to that of a small aircraft.
The max track position enables you to travel about half as far horizontally as you travel vertically. If you track for 5,000 feet of altitude, you will travel about one-half mile horizontally. The vertical airspeed of the tight frog and the max track positions are about the same. In freefall, a Body Pilot separating in the new max track position will appear to have only horizontal movement.
The amount of lift of a delta position is controlled by varying your arm position. (Lift and sink are defined relative between individuals and freefall. No freefall body position produces lift relative to an aircraft in flight.) Greater sink results from placing your arms above the level of your shoulder blades. Greater lift is produced by placing your arms slightly below the level of your abdomen with a reverse arch of the upper torso.
This technique can be simulated in a swimming pool. To practice the max track position in the water, push off the side of the pool, concentrating on streamlining your body like a needle. To reduce drag on the head, your nose must face the bottom. Try and glide farther on each attempt.
Next, push off the side about three to four feet below the surface. While gliding in a delta position, place your arms above the level of your shoulder blades. This arm position will drive you to the bottom. In freefall, this arm position is used to create faster vertical airspeed. The vertical dive and gull wing positions are two examples.
While gliding in the water, placing your arms below the level of your abdomen will lift you to the surface. However, more drag than lift will develop if your arms are placed too far below your abdomen. Excess drag is easily recognized in the water. In freefall, the result of the incorrect arm position is increased vertical airspeed and loss of horizontal airspeed.
Except for the feet, the max track position is identical to the ski flyer's position. This is a rigid position and is mastered with extended practice. In the max track position, your arms are used for support; the rest of your body is used for deflection. Your arms are parallel to the horizon, with your palms facing the ground. Your insteps are placed together and your toes are pointed. Your knees and ankles are locked straight.
To minimize drag on the head, your nose must face the ground. Your stomach is held in to create a deflection surface on your abdomen. Your arms are placed slightly below the torso. Shrug your shoulders to reduce drag and provide a cleaner airflow over your body. Shrugging the shoulders creates airfoil in the upper torso. Horizontal airflow over this airfoil produces a small (but noticeable) amount of lift. Keep your body rigid.
After assuming the correct positions, it will take about four to five seconds to accelerate to maximum horizontal speed. As your arms are swept below the neutral area, a temporary head-down attitude results. As horizontal airspeed increases, lift created will correct the head-down attitude. In maximum lift, your feet will be approximately 30 degrees above your head.
The novice will soon discover that deploying his parachute in the faster airspeeds of the track position produces harder openings. After tracking, you must backslide and flare after releasing your pilot chute because too much airspeed during deployment produces an uncomfortable opening shock. Practice will determine the amount of airspeed necessary to produce the cleanest canopy inflation.
Fast Tracks,
Nathan

i take it that means they were right?
hmmm im confused.
the article refered to "faster airspeeds meaning harder openings" is this faster horizontal or vertical airspeeds??
someone help ive got a jump ticket riding on this so i need some hard evidence.
dave brownell.....are you there?

Faster horizontal. If your in a "correct" track postion like the article explains you are still falling vertically but horizontally as well. You are going horizontal so that slows the vertical somewhat. You are basically flying your body not just falling straight down.
Nathan

>so the two guys at my dz who told me tracking makes you fall faster are wrong?
A good track increases your airspeed but decreases the speed at which you're falling (your vertical speed.) So you go faster but you fall slower.
-bill von

According to my Pro-Track, my vertical velocity drops to around 80mph when I track, wearing a tight nylon Tony Pit Suit. I've done tracking dives from 14,000ft with over 1:30 of freefall time. The same suit gives me around 120mph falling flat. Anyone who speeds up is diving, not flat-tracking.
<<<<< >so the two guys at my dz who told me tracking makes you fall faster are wrong?
A good track increases your airspeed but decreases the speed at which you're falling (your vertical speed.)
So you go faster but you fall slower.
-bill von >>>>>

I jump with a tight bev suit with 'winglets' under my armpits that stretch out when I'm using my swoopcords - I find I get my slowest fallrate and furthest horizontal distances when I'm using my swoopcords doing a T or crucifix track. When I'm not using my swoopcords, I revert to the usual max track body position.