kallend

10-way speed

Actually Steve, what you are paying for in your gear is the legal fees that are sure to be assesed at some point. A Cessna 152 would only cost a bit over $15000 in raw costs if none of the companies involved had to worry about lawsuits. There is no reason why a bolt should cost $15, but they have to figure that they can use the $10 markup on the legal fees associated with a lawsuit when a undertrained/under experienced dead pilots family sues them. A new 152 is upwards of $50000 But, Cessna is just making an annual profit.... why? A single lawsuit can cost them 1-2 million in damages so they have to overcharge the rest of the people to have the money around to payout a lawsuit.
Gear is the same way. If a tandem goes in.. you can bet that the Whuffos family will be lawsuit happy. They are getting the DZ, the rig maker, probally the pilot, anyone associated with the rig or componets. Well.... RWS holds the licence on the 3 ring so they will be named, Airtec for the CyPReS, Strong, Icarus or PD for the main or reserve and who ever made the rig itsself. All these companies have to incorperate the legal fees into the rest of thier gear.
Sorry for the drift of this one Prof...
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

<<>>
No problem - I've been trying to keep a college club alive for the past 4 years, and slowly it's died out as students decide they can't afford the cost, what with tuition costing so much these days. Roger even gave the club a pretty good discount and I tossed in $10 towards the cost of an AFP jump for any club member, but it still is getting out of reach of college students.
See http://www.iit.edu/~skydive for the club web pages.

<<<<way speed jumps I've done were a total kick in the ass and I'd love to compete at it. And Rumbleseat
happens every January...>>>>>
It is indeed a kick-ass event and a lot of fun. Not only that, you get to go head to head with Airspeed and Deguello and the Knights without too much embarrassment (assuming a reasonable level of skill) - had a bunch of beers with them in the bar after the event. Hard to do that if you're a first-year 4-way team.

Thats good to hear. The GT Sport Parachute club had a period where there was 1 active jumper, enough to barely hold our charter. But in the past 12 months, we are up to 10 active jumpers, recruiting every 3 months or so, the club is still young (in age of jumper, the clubs been there since the late 60's) but we have alot of support. 2 of us are working on our coach rateings to then go on to AFF to lower student cost for AFF from 1000 to 500. And weve formed a stong 4 way team thats planning on makeing 200-250 training jumps and about 10 hours of tunnel. My goal by next year is 40 active jumpers.
Jonathan
D-24876
http://www.gtinviscid.com

Quade,
You do have a good point. Maybe there are too many old farts in our club. It's great for me because I know a lot of them from the olden days. My daughters will both be in college next year. I've been trying to get them interested in jumping as members of my old club. My oldest daughter made the same point. There's almost noone there her age. The owner of this DZ does actively recruit from this college making a lot of demo and stadium jumps. He does a lot of tandems with college students, but almost none of them continue. I only jump there occasionally now. In fact the only college student that I can remember in our club was one rich kid who seemed to have more money than sense..... I'm just wondering if I jumped with you at Perris over Christmas. We had a cameraman on a couple of our jumps. I was the good looking elderly gentleman with bugs in his teeth. Do you remember me?

I was the good looking elderly gentleman with bugs in his teeth. Do you remember me?

Got a date on that visit?
If we jumped and I shot camera, then there's a good possibility I have a record of it somewhere.
Unfortunately, an elderly gentleman with bugs in his teeth discribes just too many people over at the "Air Trash" part of the packing area! That's not a dig . . . that's their real name. ;^)
quade
http://futurecam.com

Quade,
It was at the end of December. We had Melon Head for a load organizer on a couple loads. Then there was another guy, for a load organizer, who works as a magician and acting coach. I'm sure you know him. And then we had another guy from England, who has been in Perris a long time, as and organizer. As you can tell my memory is poor. But what a wonderful place to jump. I've been coming to Perris, over Christmas, for the past two years. I can't wait to jump there again. Montana sucks this time of year. Last night it was 25 below. Steve