mountainman

Fallrate matching

Hey all.....got a question for you. My wife and I are about 80 pounds different in weight (me being more;)) and when we jump together, we cannot match our fallrates. I get as big as I can and she says she is arching like crazy, but she still is higher than me.
Now, short of me loosing weight and her buying weight, what do you suggest doing to remedy this? Are there body positions that better control this? Granted, we probably still have the "student arch" going on. Is this affecting it?
Thanks for the help!
JumpinDuo.com...come and sign the guestbook.

Well, I'm not gonna be much help for you- my exit weight is something like 142, so of course I float like crazy with some people. I dunno if its possible for you...but once when I went to SkyVenture in Orlando I did about ten minutes worth of fall-rate work...and I feel like it helped me immensely on my next jump. Obvious benefit of doing this in the tunnel being: it ends up being cheaper in the long run (at least for me) because if you lose the person that you're jumping with you dont have to go up and do another whole jump just trying to match rates. If you can get your fallrate matching skills down in the tunnel, you can focus on more things in the air. Just my $.02 for what its worth...
Blue skies,
Marshall :)

Intense coaching can help most fall rate issues. I don't know where you live, if you can get some air tunnel time - this is killer.
Custom jumpsuits should help. Yours should be cotton and baggy. Your wife's should be vinyl and tight.
On top of new jumpsuits, you get to see at your wife in tight vinyl.

Drag in the jumpsuit and de-arching or "Hugging the ball" is all you can do. This seriously screws with your ability to fly correctly though. You need the jumpsuit to do the work so you can relax and fly.
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

you must also understand that if you get teh big baggy sleeves on the jump suit, it will seriously affect you when you go to pick up grips (in 4way for example). that much drag on the arms is not necessarily a good thing. basically she needs to get weights, especially if jumping with others. you should be in teh mid zone of flying for best performance.

I get as big as I can and she says she is arching like crazy, but she still is higher than me.

As usual, lots of excellent advice. Jumpsuits and weights for the type of dives your doing ...etc.
Here's a drill dive. Do a two way, Big kiss pass - look each other directly in the eyes, smile very big ... then let go and hover....adjust.- keep deep eye contact..keep big smiles.....kiss pass... turn and track.
AND PRACTICE ALOT!! ;)

Fly Your Slot !

We have the jumpsuits already. Mine is big, cotton and thick. Her's is small, tight and....tight. Grrrr. Anyway, we were "almost" able to match on our last jump together. She actually rolled into a ball and only fell about 10' below me, went to arch and POP!
Well, maybe we'll have to break down and get her some weight. Thanks!

If she's floaty even with a tight suit, and plans to do any type of RW, then a weight vest is a good option. Face it, she can only arch so much.
Both of you will learn more control with your fall rates as you gain more experience, and jumping together is a good way to do that. Things like booties and swoop chords can help, just like weights can help you go faster, but in the end they are just tools so try not to become too dependent on them, and don't let them compensate for sloppy body position.
Two things I hear a lot- which sound kind of contradictory-
"Fly your body, not your suit!" and "Dress for success!".
Blue ones!

As usual, all good advice. One idea I had to solve your problem immediately is for you to wear either gators (baggy sleeves that go over your jumpsuit) or even a baggy sweatshirt over top of your jumpsuit. Make sure it doesn't interfere with your handles.
For the long term, try this: find someone with some experience who has a good fallrate range. Do a three way with the person. They act as the leader in a fallrate game of follow the leader. You exit together and everyone tries to stay on level with the leader. The leader adjusts his or her fallrate up and down, and both you and your wife try to match it. This is a good exercise which will help both of you increase your range.
And she is probably going to have to wear a little weight. Sorry.
- Dan G

I'd recommend against putting anything like a sweatshirt on over your jump suit. If your jump suit is already baggy and you put another baggy layer over it, the sweatshirt or extra layer is more apt to blow up over your cutaway and reserve handles. As for your wife increasing her fall weight without wieghts, all the above advice is good stuff, my additional .02 would be for your wife to try flexing her abs and upperbody (chest and arms). I was just goofing around in Skyventure two weeks ago messing with my fall rate and I found that while in a stable arch, if I flexed my midsection and upper body, it increased my fall rate and as I relaxed my muscles (keeping the same arch, ie not moving) I slowed down. I got the idea from sitflying, as to increase fall rate in a sit, you flex your legs muscles and push down on the air (without moving your legs) just adjusting the force you are exuriting on the air. To slow the sit, you lessen the flex and hence lessen the relative force that your legs resist the airflow with. Just an idea.
Peace, Tom

Hey man.....thank you for the "fallrate matching" post. I saw your picture you put on and that is AWESOME!! I noticed you don't have a profile picture, so I made that one into one. If you don't like it, you can send me one you do and I'll make it for ya. If you like this one, you should put it in your profile:
http://home.woh.rr.com/brandonandlaura/dzpic_lawndart.jpg
Blue skies!
Brandon

Thanks Brandon, much apprecaited. Now, if I could just figure out how to add a picture to my profile I'l be all set......LOL I'm sure I'l figure it out someday. You know when I did my coaches course evaluation jumps, my instructor "Suzy" weighed 115 lbs soaking wet. I changed out of my tight RW suit and put on that bl;ue freefly suit before our eval dives and she said "whatare you doing?" I said "dressing to match your fall rate". She said "put your rw suit back on, Ill keep up with you (now i out weighed her by atleast 60lbs) and she was right, we both had tight suits on and we flew relative the whole dive, she punched it out and I dearched like a madman but it worked fine. She wore no weights. It was impressive, she really showed me what controled bodyflight was all about on that dive. So it can be done, it just takes practice. She too used the flexxing technique to increase her fall rate to keep up with me. Here's a pic from Quincy............
I gota bunch of pics on my site www.geocities.com/skysurfer4288/index.html let me know what you think,
"I live to EFS"
Tom

Those look pretty good man. I think I sent you a PM once about your site after you posted that you had more there. Here is how you add your profile pic:
1) go to control panel
2) click on the top "edit" button of the 3
3) put that web addy I sent you in the profile picture section
4) click done/save at the bottom and you're done!
Let me kinow if you want another picture on there and I'd be happy to do it. (If so, you will NOT have to change anything in the "edit" screen.)

if I flexed my midsection and upper body, it increased my fall rate and as I relaxed my muscles (keeping the same arch, ie not moving) I slowed down.

It was explained to me as "try to push your spine against your rig... same as relaxing the back , I guess...without breaking the Arc.
Fly Your Slot !