Viking

You guys got any solo drills for me??

I still don't have my A license yet(i have 16 jumps) so i can't jump with others yet :( so i might as well make the best use of the jumps i have left. What are some good drills for me to try?? i already have my turning,tracking, dearching, i did backflips, and barrel rolls, i even rolled out the door once to see if i could get stable quickly after fudging an exit. should i try different poised exits?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

should i try different poised exits?

Sure. Important exits are the diving exit and the poised exit. The poised ext (assuming an Otter), stand in the door with your belly to the interior. Lead with your left (foward) leg, out, in, go. Peel yourself off the otter, throw out your left shoulder at the same time as your left leg, preesnt yourself into the wind. This is a standard exit for small and large formations.
Notice you're presenting your chest to the relative wind.
The dive. For bigger formations where everyone can't fit int the door, you've got to dive out the of the plane after the formation has already gone ahead of you. On really big formations, the dive may start with you running from the front of the plane!
Stand inside the plane, beside the door. Face the horizontal stabilizer. Do a Superman dive towards the horizontal stabilizer. Notice again, you're presenting your chest to the relative wind.
What're you going to do in freefall?
I know you've said that you've "done" turns. Keep practicing. See how fast and how smoothly you can do 180's and 90's. Once you start jumping with a partner you'll be able to see how innefecient your turns are. You want to spin your body as if there was a spindle running throug your belly button. You should not move horizontally in any direction during a turn. Practice this.
Fallrates are important. Punch out your arch. Then open up and cup air. See if you can feel the speed. See how fast, how slow you can go.
_Am

who said you can't jump with others? just curious. anyway for solo drills, try dive out exits - but do it correctly line up straight in the door, front of door, jump up towards engine, right shoulder up (otter exit), middle of door, straight out, right shoulder up, rear of door, down and out, again, right shoulder up. for floatin exits, front of door get left leg as high as possible on exit (excellent to learn it for front float on 8way), center of door, get hips up and rear of door, think about throwing your shoulder down (while keeping it presented). other than that pick a point on teh horizon and start and stop 360's, do barrell rolls, front flips and back flips, helps with learning how the air affects your movements.

sit fly

Relative Work
A spot for relative workers to share tips, techniques, talk about relative work competitions and meet other teams. This is a moderated forum.
edit: i don't need to freefly to go fast ;)

Fallrates are important. Punch out your arch. Then open up and cup air. See if you can feel the speed. See how fast, how slow you can go.

If you have or can borrow a protrack, it's a fun drill to go as slow as you can on the 1st half, then as fast as you can the 2nd half.
Fly Your Slot !

'sit fly'
They teach sit fly and sit fly exit's for AFP. If you want, it's available on level 15 or 16 or something.
It's something to try on a solo anyway. As a Bellyflyer, If I HAD TO DO A SOLO...I'd try a sit or something. But not at your level.
Turns and fall rate adjustments is my .02 :)Fly Your Slot !

I suggested sit fly exit knowing that you will probably just tumble on your first couple tries unless you are like me and get it right the first time..;) This type of complete tumble out the door will help you in all other aspects of skydiving. Especially those funneled exits in low time 4 way. :)"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

Sounds to me like you are ready to jump with other people, but what do I know???
A few solos are fine to get you comfortable in the air by yourself, but after a certain point, you really need to jump with other people. It doesn't have to be a coach, maybe someone else just off student status that wants to do 2 ways.

All of these ideas are good. AndyMan's advice on exits is on the mark, but these are hard things to visualize. Ask someone on a four-way team or other experienced RW'er at your DZ to show you the basic exits they use. I also thing picking a definite spot on the horizon and trying to do controlled turns is a great idea.
Finally, since you are in the air by yourself, give some consideration to opening a little higher than usual and working some canopy drills. Get your instructor to make some suggestions. Make sure the other people on the plane and the pilot know you want to pull high.
Good luck, it sounds like you are eager to learn, which is the most important trait to have for your own safety and survival (not to mention fun).
- Dan G

ok so help do a dive flow for my next jump.
we usually get to 13.5
do say a poised exit.
do 180/360 turns till 10 grand.
then practice with my fallrate till 8
do a couple front/back flips
pull at around 4.5
now i already know how to do flat turns, i haven't messed with my risers yet so will i geuss i should try that. am i missing anything??

I'm not entirely sure what the 'poised' exit is (I'm new at 19 jumps), but up in canada for our solo certificate, we have to do a "ride the slide" sit exit. I did it on my last jump from a c182 and it was pretty cool. Also, before, when I was up north, I did about 5 dive outs into a front loop, to BTE, and correct the heading. I thought it was a pretty good mix of techniques for me at the time. I really want to jump with others too, I've had a few, but it really is a shock to watch yourself sliding all over the place, and trying to screw with fall control. After the first one, you can see how important it is to have a point that you move relative to.

am i missing anything??

Tracking? Seems like a pretty important skill when jumping with others.
I'm in the same situation, though. I'm just off student status and cleared for solo jumps, but have a lot to learn. Mainly I need to work on my consistency.
Good luck!

Tracking is pretty tough to do on your own...

In the sense that there is not 10 other skydivers tracking too, all from an imaginary center point, and you can see them in your peripheral (?) But pick a heading and go straight towards it, try small and controlled corrections left and right.
When you get all the way flat, and you start to really feel the lift, and your hummin...it's a cool feeling.
That's one thing I love about RW, I get to track like hell on every skydive.
I'll go up against freeflyers on a flock anyday. They don't track and track flat on every single jump like we do...plus, I have bootie...and I know how'da use em.
Fly Your Slot !

Actually.... Most freeflyers track really flat to burn off as much speed as possible before they pull. Only the best have burned off the speed completly, but the rest sure do try to go flat.
In a flock the goal is not to go flat, it is to travel a long distance while maintaining a fall rate that every one can match. Booties are not needed or even wanted by the majority of jumpers in a flock dive.Flipping over and tracking on your back with booties is... uh... interesting to say the least (tried it once... and only once) .
Political Correctness-At least one person at any one time will be offended by something